Why become a member? ×

Three (approx) bass players wanted

Manwithvan

I've been musing about the 'ideal' band.

You wouldn't want any prima donnas - so no singers, or guitarists for that matter.

And you'd want proper musicians - so no drummers.

But seriously...

I'd be interested in starting a band project composed entirely of bass players. It's already been done, but in the metal genre.

We have a wide range of sounds to use: from double bass, U bass, slap, six-string etc. I reckon four players would be easy enough to arrange, providing percussion, melody, chords and well, just bass. I'm thinking jazz rather than rock, but who knows?

I'm based in Salisbury, but willing to travel an hour for a meet.

Unfortunately I'm a bit far away but I'd be happy to offer some chords and high register melody from a six string :) I've composed several simple short all bass pieces utalising a looper in the past and quite like the overall sound.

[media]http://youtu.be/nIuF7lVnK2o[/media]

Hope you find some poeple :)

Edited by CamdenRob

Have you heard of the band Rothko ?

They were 2 sometimes 3 bassists.

What I do here is solo bass, I've also done some with another bassist too, I'm always looking for collaborations, and playing in a band situation would be great, you're maybe a bit far away though.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/an-ending-ascend"]https://soundcloud.com/an-ending-ascend[/url]

Edited by ambient

There have been a couple of all-bass ensembles I can think of: Berliner Bass Ballett in the mid-80's, and Sweden Bass Orchestra featuring the late, great Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen. Don't misunderstand me, they aren't a reason not to do it, in fact quite the reverse - they should be used as a reference point and a source of inspiration! :D

Pleased to get more than 300 views, still far less than "Sick bass player wanted" but there's a lesson in marketing for us all there.

The geography is a bit of a challenge. The centre point of all those interested looks like Oxford which is a long way for everyone to travel when you've no idea of the outcome. It's an intriguing prospect to bring together the lyrical CamdenRob with the ambient experimentalist, er..Ambient, though.

Thanks for all the examples mentioned.. I only knew of SMV and wasn't thinking of setting out to knock them off their perch! Not yet.

About me (as I haven't posted anything on BC):

Mature (ahem, own hair and teeth), ex guitarist, I started taking bass seriously only last year. I've often ended up playing bass in bands for various reasons (only slot available/least talented guitarist/most competent musician/only member who could count up to 4). Played rock/blues in pubs, and jazz in wine bars etc for many years.
At the moment I've started an improvising group working with dance and street performers. I see it as an opportunity to something original, and 'punch above my weight'.

The idea for a bass-only band came about as I became more aware of the range of sounds available to us. I hadn't even thought of bowed bass.

I have 4, 5 and 6 string and fretless basses, and can't play any of them properly, but I like a challenge.

Yes Oxford is a bit of a trek... Lovely city though :)

[quote name='Manwithvan' timestamp='1436305197' post='2816998']
I have 4, 5 and 6 string and fretless basses, and can't play any of them properly...
[/quote]

Just like the rest of us then... This is actually part of the BC initiation. A crack team in BC jumpsuits turn up unannounced at new members gigs and if you're any good you're out... :mellow:

I'm in Salisbury area, not very good on either 4 string or my EUB and not doing much at the moment. PM if you're interested in hooking up, might even know the same people!
Toupe from Southampton were 2 bassists and a drummer, like a cross between Zappa and Primus!

An interesting idea...!

I'm Gloucestershire area, have several 5 string basses with different pickup combinations, fretted and fretless, multi fx, midi bass pedals and midi bass. Have also been thinking of getting Electric Upright so a few different texture options there!

Salisbury a bit far away maybe?

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1436450385' post='2818254']
Oxford's right on my doorstep, could be an interesting experiment.
[/quote]

Do you know of any rehearsal spaces in the area? It might be an idea to suggest a time and place and see who'd be prepared to travel?

[quote name='Manwithvan' timestamp='1437090638' post='2823585']
Do you know of any rehearsal spaces in the area? It might be an idea to suggest a time and place and see who'd be prepared to travel?
[/quote]

Remind me after the weekend, away at a bike rally until Sunday.

Bit of a trek for me too (Cardiff)
But I'd be really interested in something like this - just as an experiment,
and to see what happens.....

Particularly if a mix of DB / EUB and U-bass / Bass guitar and some effects were used....
Good luck with your search, and please let us know how you get on

Nice video Camden Rob
I somehow can't quite get the hang of switching a looper at the right point - it always goes wrong somehow :(

Cheers
Marc

PS. I'm also interested as to whether there will be complaints along the lines of;
"That lead-bassist, he's always drowning me out!" lol ;)

I'd be interested too if the centre of gravity moved a bit more towards south-west London.

One one hand I'm currently in a jazz/fusion band with electric basses and effects and wotnot
On the other there's acoustic fretless/upright in the shape of my Takamine TB-10
And on one foot there's a Moog Taurus 3!

• 9 months later...