Why become a member? ×

Glasto Gobbing!

spongebob

Watching back on some of the Glasto footage I recorded last weekend, I was a bit taken aback by a couple of incidents of on-stage spitting!

Patti Smith hocked a sizeable loogie in her televised set (reviews said she did it 3 times, maybe once was gum), and I think it was Pharrell who did the same.

Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned, but there's really no need, is there? :(

Hate it. When I see people do it in the street I think, "Thanks for that, but I really didn't want to share your body fluids or be paddling about in them, you selfish fecking cretin.'

I suppose we should be grateful we don't live in China.

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1435999160' post='2814224']
I saw wishbone ash at Hammersmith Odeon 30+ years ago and the image that sticks with me still is Martin Turner gobbling on the blue stage carpet throughout the gig.
[/quote]

Gobbing, not gobbling...........that was a different show...

I worked for a while at one of the schools in Brum that were involved in the Trojan Horse cover up a few months ago. The caretaker was complaining that the kids are allowed to flob IN the school during Ramadam, but he was refusing to clean it up.

Appy polly logies if its a stupid question, but why during Ramadam ? In most schools kids just gob on the playgrounds anyway these days.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435997355' post='2814204']
I suppose we should be grateful we don't live in China.
[/quote]

I've only been once. Won't be going again!! Could not believe what i was seeing/hearing, and could not believe no one had warned me about it!!!!

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1435945225' post='2813921']
It's pretty vile and unnecessary. I played football to a high standard for 18yrs and never once felt the need to spit so I get really annoyed watching pros do it on tv.
[/quote]

Great comment.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1436093003' post='2814818']
Part of the fight against TB dont you know.
[/quote]

I'm not a fan of Talkbass, but that's a bit harsh!

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1436112537' post='2815045']The caretaker was complaining that the kids are allowed to flob IN the school during Ramadam, but he was refusing to clean it up.

Appy polly logies if its a stupid question, but why during Ramadam ?
[/quote]

I think it's to do with fasting Muslims not being allowed to swallow anything during daylight hours - even their own saliva... :mellow:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1436443723' post='2818178']
I'm not a fan of Talkbass, but that's a bit harsh!

I think it's to do with fasting Muslims not being allowed to swallow anything during daylight hours - even their own saliva... :mellow:
[/quote]

Make them carry their own spitoons and clean them out in the toilets in their own time.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436444736' post='2818185']
Make them carry their own spitoons and clean them out in the toilets in their own time.
[/quote]

Spitoon is a great word! :D Sadly underused these days... :(

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1436443723' post='2818178']
[/quote]

Thanks.

I honestly didnt know whether to believe him or if he was winding me up a bit as revenge for me telling him it was both Kilroy Silk and Enoch Powells old school. Half of which is true... :ph34r:

But spitting out a bit of saliva is not the same as hawking up a green ernie is it ? Either way, spitting does help spread TB so I dont see why other arrangements couldnt be made.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1436449875' post='2818250']
Spitoon is a great word! :D Sadly underused these days... :(
[/quote]

Not as underused as its synonym, 'cuspidor'. As in:

[i]Toreador don't spit upon the floor[/i]
[i]Use the cuspidor[/i]
[i]That's what it's for.[/i]

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1436540272' post='2819021']
Not as underused as its synonym, 'cuspidor'. As in:

[i]Toreador don't spit upon the floor[/i]
[i]Use the cuspidor[/i]
[i]That's what it's for.[/i]
[/quote]

Wot. For keeping cigars moist ?

Someone told me the spitoon joke on my first day at work when I left school nearly 48 years ago. I still remember it, and it still makes me heave...

Edited by BILL POSTERS

I can kind of understand it with shouty music as sometimes the throat just needs to be cleared but in general I absolutely hate spitting & have had a few "discussions" with people in the street about it before (usually ending in the inevitable calamity).