Why become a member? ×

Whats the best trouser flapping 70's sounding envelope filter!?

zawinul

Hi peeps

Ok I'm looking for the most exaggerated envelope filter out there! Something that sounds more squelchy than a Glastonbury mudfest

Think of Bootsy on acid!

i've had a EHX q tron in the past found it a was very noisy and also too sensitive, If i played hard the sound went very weird

Any suggestions ??

cheers

The Chunk 00 Funk Mk II (or Octavius Squeezer which shares the same filter circuit) is the squelchiest, gloopiest filter I've ever tried. I own both and they're great pedals. The Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe is also meant to sound quite similar. Both of these filters can get very extreme sounding. The Mu Fx Tru Tron 3x is also a lot more powerful than the Q Trons or original Mu-Tron, is fat sounding and can get very wet and the down-sweep is really nice and chewy.

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1436013386' post='2814337']
The Chunk 00 Funk Mk II (or Octavius Squeezer which shares the same filter circuit) is the squelchiest, gloopiest filter I've ever tried. I own both and they're great pedals. The Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe is also meant to sound quite similar. Both of these filters can get very extreme sounding. The Mu Fx Tru Tron 3x is also a lot more powerful than the Q Trons or original Mu-Tron, is fat sounding and can get very wet and the down-sweep is really nice and chewy.
[/quote]

cheers, sounds what im looking for. i bet they are all expensive!! ?

No question, it has to be the MuFx TruTron3x, made by Mike Beigel himself and Bootsy is a fan....

You can get them direct from Mu-Fx and while you are at it, I would recommend getting the Octave Divider too. There are some seriously GAS-inducing vids online of both on their own and used together.
The TruTron3x is a modern upgrade of the original legendary MuTron, which is exactly what Bootsy used to get those funky sounds.

They are not cheap though and you need to get a 12v AC power supply into an unusual connection; but you can pick up UK 240v supplies of this type online for about £8 I think.
I bought both pedals and negotiated a $15 discount to leave out the US PSUs to help me buy UK PSUs instead. If you go down this funky path, message me and I'll dig out details of where I got it all.

PS. I used to have a mini Q-Tron and found it a bit too uncontrollable with nasty volume spikes. When tame it sounded great; but not a patch on the TruTron, which is actually better than the original MuTron, as confirmed by bassplayer in my band who has both. The Q-Tron was designed by Mike Beigel too, after he lost control of Musitronics; it was based on the MuTron, but made cheaper for EHX to produce.

Edited by Bassnut62

3 leaf proton has been a nice, small squelch.. move for me' i had an mxr b.e.f & hated it!!! way too quacky & lazer beam effects ....which got totally lost in the mix of the band... ALL of these filters are subjective & of personal taste... Another recommendation of mine the Groove Regulator by 3 leaf' check out the reviews!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Defo agree on the Agent 00Funk MK2. Had one before I got a Moog LPF (which I sold to you, I think!?...) and it was ridiculously wet and squelchy! I only got rid of it at the time cos it was a bit too extreme for my intended application, but I'd really like one again now...

P.s. Probably not great using Bootsy as an example for a particular pedal maker, he seems to pop up on adverts for loads of envelope filters (Chunk Systems and EHX included!).

Edited by bakerster135

A Modded FX25 does it for me - switch it to a low pass filter (reroute the output from the LM13600 chip), and change one of the silicon diodes for a Germanium one (lower forward voltage) to tweak the sensitivity and you're laughing.

I do realise that not everyone wants to take things apart as much as I do.

Mutrons are really nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a Moog Low Pass Filter last week - this thing is ludicrous.

I've owned all sorts of envelope filters and this one is the king. It is so warm, thick and squelchy, but it can do theremin and laser gun sounds. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Getting an expression pedal today!

Edited by Duarte

[quote name='Duarte' timestamp='1441356917' post='2858160']

I've owned all sorts of envelope filters and this one is the king. It is so warm, thick and squelchy, but it can do theremin and laser gun sounds. Couldn't recommend it enough.

[/quote]
Thats when the REAL fun starts
Also get a TRS patch cable (or 2 or 3 or 4) and experiment, try patching the env out to the cutoff etc

[quote name='Duarte' timestamp='1441356917' post='2858160']

[/quote]

That sounds like an option!! I'll get looking....