Why become a member? ×

Best place to buy mp3s that's not iTunes or Amazon?

I'm kind of old fashioned, in that I don't really like streaming as my main source of music. I like to download DRM-free mp3s. I buy a lot of stuff via Bandcamp, but lots of stuff isn't there. I'd like to try and avoid Amazon (because of unpleasant business practices) and I'd rather saw my own leg off with a spoon than use iTunes. Where else can are people buying mp3s from these days?

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1436074357' post='2814693']
Mp3va. Used it now for a couple of years. Cheap as chips and no problems.
[/quote]

However at those prices I doubt that the artists are seeing any of the money you spend. In fact looking at the legal info it appears that the company running the site is based in the Ukraine and is probably using the Russian copyright "loophole" to avoid paying royalties to anyone. As musicians we really shouldn't be using these sorts of sites.

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1436052874' post='2814660']
Have you tried Junodownload.com it's mostly dance music but they have many genres of music. Currently filling the gaps in my p funk collection!
You can pay using paypal too.
[/quote]
Misread 'balearic' as 'barbaric' in the genre list and got a little too excited :D

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1436082434' post='2814724']
However at those prices I doubt that the artists are seeing any of the money you spend. In fact looking at the legal info it appears that the company running the site is based in the Ukraine and is probably using the Russian copyright "loophole" to avoid paying royalties to anyone. As musicians we really shouldn't be using these sorts of sites.
[/quote]You're right, they're using the copyright loophole. As a consumer I want the best deal, and let's not be naive here, we're talking about rich rock stars, not lowly musicians. And by the way I hope you apply the same high-mindedness to all the child labour clothing you're wearing.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1436109069' post='2814997']
You're right, they're using the copyright loophole. As a consumer I want the best deal, and let's not be naive here, we're talking about rich rock stars, not lowly musicians. And by the way I hope you apply the same high-mindedness to all the child labour clothing you're wearing.
[/quote]Surely not all the downloads feature rich rockstars? I personally wouldn`t think Spooky Tooth would be millionaires.

Depends on one's definition of 'rich rock star' I suppose.

I've found material by artists on that site that are in no sense of the word 'rich'. 270+ gigs per year, traveling in beaten up vans that need fixing on numerous occasions before you can get to the next gig, self financed albums and a modest house when they get home.

All so someone with server space and a bank account can get rich from their efforts.

You're right, they're using the copyright loophole. As a consumer I want the best deal, and let's not be naive here, we're talking about rich rock stars, not lowly musicians. And by the way I hope you apply the same high-mindedness to all the child labour clothing you're wearing.
[/quote]
It's that same old "justification" for getting something for nowt that occasionally gets discussed here, and never fails to disappoint me on a musicians forum.

You're right, they're using the copyright loophole. As a consumer I want the best deal, and let's not be naive here, we're talking about rich rock stars, not lowly musicians.
[/quote]

Seems it would be better just downloading off some torrent site, the 'rich rock stars' still don't get any money but neither do a few dodgy ukranian crooks, so although it is still theft, you are at least not helping people profit off theft.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1436112855' post='2815050']
Seems it would be better just downloading off some torrent site, the 'rich rock stars' still don't get any money but neither do a few dodgy ukranian crooks, so although it is still theft, you are at least not helping people profit off theft.
[/quote]

The crooks still get their money... their site gets revenue from ads and "premium" subscribers, and none of that finds its way to the people who created the material.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1436111844' post='2815035']
It's that same old "justification" for getting something for nowt that occasionally gets discussed here, and never fails to disappoint me on a musicians forum.
[/quote]

Quite. No thought of solidarity until someone nicks their cable from the rehearsal studio and we're expected to post sympathetic stuff like 'I feel your pain, mate'.

Edited by skankdelvar