Why become a member? ×

My new Jaydee .. help id it (a bit maybe)

hughie

Hey folks,

I've just got this black Jaydee from these very helpful guys at Twyford near Wokingham ttp://www.bassgear.co.uk/.

It's a Mark King Signature Supernatural with a serial number and 'Custom Made for Graham Foster' on the neck.

Of interest is that it hasn't got a rotary pu selector, it's got the 3 led push switches - seems unusual

I know I can contact Jaydee but thought someone on here might have an idea abouth age and the pu selector buttons

Cheers if so .. Hughie

[attachment=195653:Jaydee Angle.GIF][attachment=195654:Jaydee bACK.GIF][attachment=195655:Jaydee Neck Number.GIF][attachment=195656:JayDee.GIF]

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1436093202' post='2814823']
Any ideas on Graham foster? A quick Google search reveals one, but he had switched to guitar by the time this would have been made?
[/quote]

Could be anyone, doesn't have to be a "name" player.
When I had my custom Jaydee built in the mid 80's I wasn't even in a band or gigging.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1436093583' post='2814831']
Could be anyone, doesn't have to be a "name" player.
When I had my custom Jaydee built in the mid 80's I wasn't even in a band or gigging.
[/quote]

Fair point. Did you have your name on yours?

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1436094326' post='2814839']
No, though it was an option. I don't have much of an ego..... :)
[/quote]
:D Got a friend who is a pro guitarist and his pet hate is signature Les Pauls, his take is "there's already a signature on it"

Hey all, what a great response.

I'll email JD the details this week and update this post for interest.

I normally use Elixir coated extra lights (my small hands) but I had a spare set of 35-95 Warwick Reds so have changed to those and what a difference. Must say the JD preamp set up seems impressive. The last through neck I had was my old Ibanez in the 90s and this JD feels tight and fast even unplugged.

Really appreciate all your feedback.

Cheers . Hughie :mellow:

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1436122676' post='2815187']
What's the inlay at the 12th fret - is it one of the Jaydee Flying Pigs (Cherubs)? :)
[/quote]

Yes RhysP it a cherub - how weird, but please tell me more ...
Cheers .. Hughie

Mark King's white Jaydee had them inlaid all over the neck.

I used to help out in a music shop in the late 70's/early 80s & we used to order custom Jaydees for people, who sometimes wanted the cherub inlays.
They just became known to us a "Flying Pigs", and if we ever called them that when talking to John Diggins he'd go nuts. :)

Edited by RhysP

If the serial number is 71392 it was likely built in '87 and would be around the 1,392nd bass built. It's a Series III Mark King model (so it would not have a funk groove). The push button P/U selector is a feature that was introduced with the Calibas model. I think the first Calibas came out in '88 so I would guess it is a later addition, replacing the normal rotary P/U selector. It's an unusual feature on a MK. The cherub inlay is not the standard design used on the "StarChild" bass (MK's white one). Black MK's are somewhat unusual. Oh, and it's not a through neck; it's set neck - look closely at the heel. Hope that helps.

Edited by GeeCee

[quote name='GeeCee' timestamp='1436232171' post='2816298']
If the serial number is 71392 it was likely built in '87 and would be around the 1,392nd bass built. It's a Series III Mark King model (so it would not have a funk groove). The push button P/U selector is a feature that was introduced with the Calibas model. I think the first Calibas came out in '88 so I would guess it is a later addition, replacing the normal rotary P/U selector. It's an unusual feature on a MK. The cherub inlay is not the standard design used on the "StarChild" bass (MK's white one). Black MK's are somewhat unusual. Oh, and it's not a through neck; it's set neck - look closely at the heel. Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Thank u very much for this amazing detail and it does help :-) Hughie