Why become a member? ×

Any other ideas for sites that sell...CDs...?

sykilz

Basically, I'm very old, and old fashioned.....(46).... And I like CDs....there, I said it. Like everyone else in the world, switched to Amazon years ago for buying mine, but now noticed that their prices have crept up, and then they wanted postage if your order was below a tenner ( when most Cds are 9.99!!) and now, just seen they want to charge postage if order under £20!!! It's actually now cheaper to drive to town and get from my local HMV, which I am happy to do as I like browsing too, but are there any other decent sites that offer good value, or is ia a classic case of Amazon out pricing everyone til they go bust,then bumping prices back up, the capitalist dream in action?
Second hand stuff via Amazon marketplace is still good value, maybe that's the best option? Cheers!!!

Cheers for all the above, will def check them all out. Always found ebay prices a bit steep with people out to make a quick profit, quite often you could find a CD on ebay that was at Amazon price plus about £2, obviously bought just to sell on,but times change quick in internet land, will give it another try.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1436134792' post='2815322']
Check out Discogs. It's a bit disorienting at first but it's basically a gateway to lots of different sellers. Lots of "proper" record shops on there.
[/quote]

Another vote for Discogs, very comprehensive database, easy to buy and sell, fantastic for finding rarities.

Thanks guys, good stuff. I live in Essex and a few of us used to do a trip up Soho and the West End a couple of times a year taking in all the second hand and cheap record stores, sadly they've pretty much all gone now. Nice To see some online independents around.

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1436100634' post='2814908']
Basically, I'm very old, and old fashioned.....(46).... And I like CDs....there, I said it. Like everyone else in the world, switched to Amazon years ago for buying mine, but now noticed that their prices have crept up, and then they wanted postage if your order was below a tenner ( when most Cds are 9.99!!) and now, just seen they want to charge postage if order under £20!!! It's actually now cheaper to drive to town and get from my local HMV, which I am happy to do as I like browsing too, but are there any other decent sites that offer good value, or is ia a classic case of Amazon out pricing everyone til they go bust,then bumping prices back up, the capitalist dream in action?
Second hand stuff via Amazon marketplace is still good value, maybe that's the best option? Cheers!!!
[/quote]

im a bit of a cd geek as well must be an age collecting thingy, thing, as i am even older than you ( alot)
been collecting funk, acid jazz ,rare groove, jazz, fusion, ,,,, (you get the idea) for years must have well over a 1000 just funky stuff,
most of mine came from amazon
and about 50% of them less than 10p and even 1p
yea you are right, a great selection for 1p
i think zoverstocks have an automated system where by if someone goes on and put a cd on for 5p their system will reprice their
copy ( if they have one) for 4p
as it seems they are always the cheapest,
alot will be 2nd hand and alot of overstock bulk buys but i have only sent about 2 or 3 back as most look new to me

for those who have not tried it......
if you go here ( worth bookmarking the link)
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Popular-Music-Search/b/ref=sv_m_h__2?ie=UTF8&node=125554011"]http://www.amazon.co...&node=125554011[/url]

type what you want for eg,,,,,, "james taylor quartet" click on price lowest first... bingo 1p cds
some times you win and get what you want, worth a try.....
on trying this out by typing funk in the keywords box i just found "When The Funk Hits The Fan" for ...1p
quick check on youtube...... sold.
ye haarrr...... oh hold on , im running out of space.

ebay is good for that rare cd, i waited years to get wayne johnson grasshopper on cd as i loved the LP ( still have it)
only 1 pops up now and again
but with prices going to £235 used on amazon thought i would wait, and it paid off, i got it from ebay for £3..

Edited by funkgod