Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG Special Bass Rattling neck pick-up

Hello folks,

Recently brought my self a Gibson SG Special Bass in Chocolate, everything is spot on apart from one thing: The neck pick-up/cover rattles quite a lot when playing. The only reason I didn't return the bass was because it was the last one any one had in stock and they wouldn't be able to get any more (I tried 4 stores and all said the same). Would rather not send it in for warranty.

The way it works is the pick-up is sandwiched between the body (with some foam) and the cover, there are no screws holding the pick-up itself.

I've tried adding more foam (enough to make a small sofa) under the pick-up to the point where it was hard to screw the cover on. It made it a little better but it's still there and still driving me mad. I even tried adding blu-tack to the top of the pick-up so there was no metal on metal contact with the cover.

I saw a demo video a few months ago where someone had the same issue and fixed it somehow, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Any ideas?

I had the same issue with mine and just cut some window strip foam from poundland,to sit on the existing four pieces of foam and the rattle was gone,I must say though it seems a bit of a bizarre way to seat a pickup but I love the playabilty of the sg.

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1436111401' post='2815028']
I had the same issue with mine and just cut some window strip foam from poundland,to sit on the existing four pieces of foam and the rattle was gone,I must say though it seems a bit of a bizarre way to seat a pickup but I love the playabilty of the sg.
[/quote]

I've almost managed to get rid of it using some harder foam (the stuff that graphics cards come packaged in), it's still there a little bit so I may need to add some more, I'm just a little worried about putting too much in there and causing some damage to the cover or pick-up. It really is such a daft way to mount a pick-up, pretty much no adjustment at all.

And yeah the playability is insane, it's half the reason I went for one. It practically plays itself.

Same problem with mine. I solved it with some 2mm ish plastic. Drilled holes to allow pole screws through and then epoxy glued the plastic to pickup cover (inside). Mine rattled even with foam packing method thus the more drastic solution. As above a disappointing way to mount a pickup and the polepieces do nothing other than look the part, so no adjustment for string balance issues. Entwistle have made an EB type pickup but have not yet seen them as aftermarket items. It is a great thing to play, especially with small hands.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1436115335' post='2815083']
I solved it with some 2mm ish plastic. Drilled holes to allow pole screws through and then epoxy glued the plastic to pickup cover (inside). Mine rattled even with foam packing method thus the more drastic solution.
[/quote]

That's a great idea, I might give that a try now. I was looking at some other options like the Dimarzio model one (why oh why can't they make one with a chrome cover) or the novac mudbucker but I think I'm going to stay stock for now.

Managed to resolve the problem with a mixture of the two, about 1cm of foam under the pick-up and some card from a whisky box between the cover and pick-up with a little double sided tape to hold it in place.

Anyone know how the pick-up in the special compares to original EB-0/3 mudbuckers?

Dimarzio Model one requires some woodwork - the pickup is just a bit too wide for the sg bass slot - I went down this route but decided not to take the chisel to my bass. Novak looks good but the price could be steep. With 190USD plus 50USD postage plus duty plus VAT plus the infamous Post office 'customs handling charge' you might end up with £220 FOB.

[quote name='SingleMalt' timestamp='1436120219' post='2815153']
Anyone know how the pick-up in the special compares to original EB-0/3 mudbuckers?
[/quote]

From my EB2 owning days (nearly 35 years ago), the output is noticeably less (measured with oscilloscope in both cases). Very hard to comment on tone kit is so much better these days. There is a fair amount of internet info on this comparison.

I didn't know that, thanks. And yeah 50USD shipping is truly insane, I've imported guitars for half that amount on shipping.

There are a few 'vintage' pick-ups from eb-0/3s on eBay, but they are all around the 200 mark as well, which is an awful lot for a pick-up in my book.

I am hoping Entwistle release the EB pickup aftermarket. My plan b involves one of their blade humbuckers (which will fit the cavity with a bit of baseplate filing) and a plastic insert between the bobbins to screw the polepieces in. I am working on this at the moment, if it works well it will be a seriously cheap upgrade.

One idea I had was adding a series capacitor with the neck pick-up on a push-pull like a vintage switch on a ric 4003. Maybe a 1uF, I think rics use 0.47 uFd which may cut too much bass. Might help in times when I want a little less low on the neck pick-up.