Why become a member? ×

Another 'Help Me Choose Strings' Thread

N64Lover

It's that time again, I need to find another set of bass strings. I am currently using D'addario Helicores but they have too high tension for me and sound very quiet. I play pizz 85% of the time and the two most important aspects for me in a new set will be low tension and high volume.

I have narrowed my choice down to Evah Pirazzi weichs, Velvet Blues and Pisastro Obligatos although I am open to other suggestions. Does anyone have an opinion on these strings? I don't have a suitably sized wallet to experiment with upright strings so whatever I choose will likely remain on my bass for a over a year.

As every bass is different, it's hard to know how a string will work until you try it. I've never played Helicores so can't comment on those. I had Evah weichs and found them higher in tension than Spiro weichs on my bass. Innovation Honeys were a good choice. I've had both Velvet Blues and Animas on the same bass and whilst the tension was very similar, the I much preferred the Animas, but they are pricey.

Trying to find low tension and high volume might prove tricky. ;)

Good luck with the search.

I figured if these Helicores are high tension and quiet then the opposite must exist somewhere. ;)

I play double bass a fair amount but I can't say I know much about what makes one bass louder than the next. It could just be a characteristic of my particular bass (It is similar to this one: [url="http://www.contrabass.co.uk/2749.htm"]http://www.contrabass.co.uk/2749.htm[/url]).

To be honest, I bought this bass almost 10 years ago and now that I have more experience I have come to realise that it is very quiet and generally not that pleasant to play. I think new strings can certainly help but maybe there are other factors I need to think about too.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1436180568' post='2815591']
As every bass is different, it's hard to know how a string will work until you try it. I've never played Helicores so can't comment on those. I had Evah weichs and found them higher in tension than Spiro weichs on my bass. Innovation Honeys were a good choice. I've had both Velvet Blues and Animas on the same bass and whilst the tension was very similar, the I much preferred the Animas, but they are pricey.

Trying to find low tension and high volume might prove tricky. ;)

Good luck with the search.
[/quote]

Edited by N64Lover

I've used both Helicores and Velvet blues - to my ears they had the same volume on my bass.
Bear in mind that when you play double bass, you're stood behind it while the sound is projected forward, so it will sound quiet to you.
Tension wise, I found the velvets were easier under the left hand than the helicores.
My set of velvet blues are currently surplus to requirements so pm me if you'd be interested in taking them off my hands.

Dave.

Thanks for the offer, Dave. I'll have a think about it and if I decide on Blues I will get in touch.

My bass really is quite quiet, other people have commented on it and in an acoustic setting with a small band it is almost inaudible.

I haven't tried any of the brands you're thinking about
However, I use Spirocore Weichs, and they are lower tension than several other strings I've tried

Don't discount Innovation strings too
I've used Honeys (briefly on a bass I bought, before swapping them)
and I used Innovation Silver Slaps for some time too...

The Silver slaps were the lowest tension DB strings I had tried
and I gather Gold Slaps are very similar
and Innovation Rockabilly's are slightly lower tension again (I think)

I wouldn't say the Silver Slaps were particularly loud strings
But they had quite a nice dark sort of sound to them...
They certainly seemed louder on the bass than the Honeys I replaced
Again, it may depend on how the bass is set up

Don't discount Innovation strings if you're after lower tension...... defo

Are there any knowledgeable friendly BC'ers anywhere near you
who'd come & advise you on whether you need a set up?
Worth a try :)

Good luck, and let us know how you get on

PS. Moving from Bass guitar to DB a few years back
I was astounded at the amazing variety of string types
.... and equally amazed at just how different the few I've used can sound.....

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='N64Lover' timestamp='1436216480' post='2816159']
Thanks for the offer, Dave. I'll have a think about it and if I decide on Blues I will get in touch.

My bass really is quite quiet, other people have commented on it and in an acoustic setting with a small band it is almost inaudible.
[/quote]

No worries mate.

If your bass really is that quiet then I reckon you'll get more improvement from a set up than a new set of strings. It's possible that your sound post has slipped out of position and is choking the movement of the top of your bass.

I have the Obligatos on my Stentor and they're a great string for pizz, very stable, great tone. Similar in tension to Spiracore Weich's. Can't compare them to the Eva's though.

If your bass is really that quiet, get it checked out, as suggested previously. It depends on the 'acoustic setting' though, as DB can be difficult to hear depending on who you're competing with.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1436360128' post='2817467']
I have the Obligatos on my Stentor and they're a great string for pizz, very stable, great tone. Similar in tension to Spiracore Weich's. Can't compare them to the Eva's though.

If your bass is really that quiet, get it checked out, as suggested previously. It depends on the 'acoustic setting' though, as DB can be difficult to hear depending on who you're competing with.
[/quote]

I'm a big fan of Obligato and also love Evah Weich which I would recommend. It's such a tough thing as strings do tend to feel and respond differently, but those and D'Addario Zyex light would be my preferences for a set which meets you goals.

The Velvets are very different from what you have which may be a good thing, or perhaps a bit too different.... they do feel too different to me and so far I've not taken to them, but tons of great bassists use and love them.

Edited by geoffbassist

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, there is one string maker that is much overlooked now but used to be popular in the past amongst slap players using mags pickups and just people wanting low tension steels with good volume and very dark tone.
Jargar "Dolce" is a good set of strings. All steel, long lasting, cheap by Pirastro and Thomastik standards and especially very low tension. When I have open air gigs on the book (like just now), I chuck on a Jargar Dolce E and A with my guts and I enjoy it. Must say I have never tried the D and G.

• 3 weeks later...

My Goldilocks string story...I have an Upton Standard Laminate and started by using Spiro Mittels six years ago. Great string to have as a base-line (pun?) for tone and volume. Been wanting something easier on the hands.
Tried the Evah med, too stiff. Evah lights, just a bit lighter than the Spiro Mittels. Tone was meh. Both gone.
Obligatos, (D/G over the Mittels)...nice soft feel and warmer tone...but too quiet... They vanish next to the Spiros in a live mix.
Now using a full set of Zyex Medium and they seem "just right". Have read that the tension is similar or just a bit more that Spiro Weichs so they are easy on the hands. The have a warmer pizz with some nice bounce on the front on the note. Have not had them on a gig yet, but at home they seem to amplify very well. They have a clear note center, so "my intonation suddenly got worse".
They bow ok, but I do not. The Mittels seemed easier under the bow to me.
Over all I like the Zyex best of all...for now. I would like to try the new Pirasto Slaps and/or Velvet Animas at some point.
Best of luck!
=JR=

Edited by PaperbackRyder