Why become a member? ×

PA/Live sound

mr zed

One area of music that i'm interested in (as i'm sure many of you are) is PA equipment, live sound set ups etc etc. As a gigging musician it's good to have an understanding of how these things work whatever instrument you play). I think it would be good to have a couple of sub-sections on basschat specifically for PA related stuff. I'm thinking:

Gear section - PA discussion (equipment, set ups etc)
Market Place - PA equipment for sale

I know that PA discussions & PA equipment sales end up in the 'Accessories and Misc' & 'Other musically Related Items for Sale' sections but there is so much other stuff going on in these sections that it can be a little overwhelming :o

Is it just me that would appreciate this or do others feel like it would be of benefit to them?

Guest bassman7755

PA related discussion usually go in "amps and cabs" forum.

Personally I think BC already has too many sub-fora - I'd rather see less of them but with more activity in each.

The subject is of great interest to me but not sure whether it would warrant it's own sub-section. If I need to know something, I tend to just ask in general discussion and lo and behold, tons of useful info comes back.

Funnily enough I was going to suggest the same thing. Or perhaps the slightly broader subject of live performance to include discussions about things like lighting and the non-musical side of giving a show and even the marketing of bands.

It seems a fairly common thing for the bassist to have responsibility for the PA with a lot of the bands I see locally. Is that a thing I wonder?

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1436201552' post='2815923']
It seems a fairly common thing for the bassist to have responsibility for the PA with a lot of the bands I see locally. Is that a thing I wonder?
[/quote]

Nobody else in my band has the remotest interest or understanding of PA. It can be pretty depressing sometimes watching the guitarist set hi mic up in front of the FOH speakers.

I'm trying to push my current band to the next level with a quality PA system, monitoring, lighting etc. My previous band absolutely got it and had great gear and the desire to get the best sound/visuals that we could (taking storage, transportation, set-up times and cost into consideration). My current band are starting to get it now but it's been an uphill struggle. Music for me is about bass playing first and foremost however necessity has meant that I have had to get more involved with PA/Lighting and take the leading role and TBH - I'm really enjoying it. Great sense of achievement when you get compliments on your sound.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1436201552' post='2815923']
Funnily enough I was going to suggest the same thing. Or perhaps the slightly broader subject of live performance to include discussions about things like lighting and the non-musical side of giving a show and even the marketing of bands.

[/quote]

I agree being a supporting instrument (In most cases) make us think about the overall sound and not just 'me', The reason why a lot of bassist end up as good producers.

I'd love a sub section, I've learned quite a bit from the Livesound Section on Talkbass.

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1436268896' post='2816526']
I agree being a supporting instrument (In most cases) make us think about the overall sound and not just 'me', The reason why a lot of bassist end up as good producers.

I'd love a sub section, I've learned quite a bit from the Livesound Section on Talkbass.
[/quote]

Yeah, I remember reading an interview, in the now defunct 'Performing Musician' I think it was, where the sound engineer asked how a take has gone, guitarists generally said the take was good when they had nailed their bit, even if the rest of the band had messed up, similarly with the singist etc. only the bassist had much idea at the end what the rest of the band were doing. Then again we'd be pretty crap if we didn't link the drums and the rest of the band together

OK so here's a thought, though I'm probably going to regret suggesting it. If they won't give us space for a 'Live Sound' sub forum then why don't we make a thread for regular debate/help/discussion. Like the one on DIY cabs in the Amps and Cabs here. We could probably start with some sort of Wiki and if it got enough interest get the thread pinned. If it took off in numbers we could then ask for a sub-forum.

I did something similar on Ultimate Guitar, folks there tend to be a bit less knowledgeable but it seemed to work. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1591207

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1436341133' post='2817153']
The problem with one thread is that information becomes very hard to find. I'll raise this with the other guys but maybe a slight re-organise might more sense!
[/quote]

Great, I'm pleased you are watching this, nice one. :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1436341133' post='2817153']
The problem with one thread is that information becomes very hard to find. I'll raise this with the other guys but maybe a slight re-organise might more sense!
[/quote]

That would be great Charic - thanks for your support.