Why become a member? ×

I might just start reading the NME again!

ras52

[b] NME magazine to be given away free[/b]

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33408435"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-33408435[/url]

Can't be more vacuous than Metro, can it?

Edited by ras52

[quote]"Every media brand is on a journey into a digital future. That doesn't mean leaving print behind, but it does mean that print has to change. The future is an exciting place, and NME just kicked the door down."[/quote]

This speaks volumes...it'll probably be out of business soon.

By the sounds (sic) of it, it'll only be offered to certain consumer groups (ie. distributed within colleges and such like) which to be fair is probably the main audience for what I expect it'll contain.

That's a lucky escape for me then, eh?!

Outstanding. The once-majestic NME becomes a college give-away pamphlet, possibly with a cover-mounted free sachet of shampoo. No matter, I preferred Sounds (until the gobsh*te fathead Bushell turned up).

Did anyone know that these days there are actually college courses in 'music journalism'? No, really. That ship already sailed, I'da thought.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1436199129' post='2815882']
Meanwhile, in classic Paul Morley stream-of-consciousness writing style, I wonder what I should listen to as I make my evening meal? What style of music goes with pasta? Something from the 70s perhaps?
[/quote]

Something by Jethro Tull.... Living in the Pasta?

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1436198404' post='2815869']
Outstanding. The once-majestic NME becomes a college give-away pamphlet, possibly with a cover-mounted free sachet of shampoo. No matter, I preferred Sounds (until the gobsh*te fathead Bushell turned up).

Did anyone know that these days there are actually college courses in 'music journalism'? No, really. That ship already sailed, I'da thought.
[/quote]
Same here, always thought Garry Bushell was a massive chancer and, funnily enough, seemed to show up around the beginning of the decline of Sounds. It didn't help that in the same publication (around the same era) you'd have a writer like Pete Makowski, who actually knew a thing or two about the music/bands he was writing about and did it with a bit of style.

Sounds in the time of Bushell was great if you wanted to know what/who the Cockney Rejects had for breakfast, aside from that... not a lot else to see.

Pete (excellent writer) is now a drugs counsellor.

I was his editor on a brief music freebie Soundcheck and remember him going AWOL with a cover feature... We had to send someone to re-do the interview. So glad he survived...

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1436199129' post='2815882']
Meanwhile, in classic Paul Morley stream-of-consciousness writing style, I wonder what I should listen to as I make my evening meal? What style of music goes with pasta? Something from the 70s perhaps?
[/quote]

Cheap jazz, where all are noodling..?

I've told this story before but, whatever.

Back in about 1980-81 I was on the platform at Manchester Piccadilly. Just as the train pulled in I noticed Garry Bushell immediately in front of me, stood right at the platform edge. I thought about it and decided not to.

One shove could have changed history and I'd probably have got away with it back in those days before CCTV.

NME is a teenage thing. I used to read it when I was a teen in the early nineties, but got bored with the build 'em up, knock 'em down, next big thing, next next big thing, next next next big thing, etc.

Recently, having been mixing with older teens as the token old fart mature student on my uni course, I noticed a few of them read it, but a few others slag it off like I just have. Like Smash Hits that trys to be a bit more edgy, but ultimately as disposable as the flavour of the month act it will briefly champion before looking for something cooler. Good luck to them though, it is what it is and I hope it doesn't go under.

Edited by Shambo

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1436293394' post='2816850']
Anyone remember Musicians Only, or did I imagine it?
[/quote]

Musicians Only reviewed the band I was in at the time and tipped us for the big time. We split the following week.

That's why I remember it.

In a sort of gritted-teeth way. <_<