Why become a member? ×

Is the Marketplace full of dreamers??

morsefull

I've had a few bad experiences lately when selling basses on the Marketplace, with people backing out of a sale at the last minute. But now It's happened the other way round .

I see a bass I want on the basses for sale section. I make an offer which is turned down ( fair enough)

I few weeks later, I send this PM.
"Hi ****** I just need to check if the Skjolds still available as someone's coming to try my main gigging bass on Sunday with view to a sale.
Cheers, Si"

Replied ."Hiya Si! Hope all's well mate.Yes sir! "

I proceed to sell my bass to Wayne (Waynesworld off here, lovely bloke) on the 14th June.

I then accept a price offered to me via PM on the 17th June.
After numerous PM's emails and texts back and forth I offer to meet halfway to collect. Not possible.
Ok I think, I'm recording a live video soon and need the bass so I offer to drive 3hrs to pick it up. :blink:

Today,almost a month after My offer was accepted I receive this PM. :angry:

" Hiya Simon. Hope you had a nice weekend mate.
I'm so sorry to disappoint you, but I'm afraid I won't be able to do the deal with you on the Skjold. I hope you can find another outlet for your GAS in the for sale section :)
All the best for the video later this month"

Bloody brilliant.I now have to try and borrow a bass to record the video.

I've always felt this was a great forum and have (Until recently) never experienced any untrustworthy behavior, but i my recent experience it's getting common place.

I'm totally pissed off.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

That's a real shame. I must admit I'm yet to have a bad purchase experience but have had to wade through some silly offers when selling stuff. One particular person kept badgering me to let something go for peanuts and was telling me that what I had was pretty un desirable and that he was doing me a favour.

I just bought a pedal on here and the seller was really understanding after I made the offer, told him I'd pay straight away and then completely forgot. I got a very polite reminder and absolutely no grief when I explained why I'd forgotten.

Hope you find something soon. If you were closer I would offer to lend you something to get you through your video.

I'm lucky enough to be able to buy before I've sell. I have to because I gig every week.

I've had good and bad experiences from Melody Maker, Exchange and Mart and Loot, eBay and Gumtree.

BC has not been without fault but it's been the best so far.

You're always going to get the odd seller that messes you around, don't understand waiting as long as he did only to let you down though.

Only bad experience I've had was with an poor item description, I think the BC'er only joined to sell a couple of items as I don't think he's posted since.
Bass was described as mint condition, needed a new machine head, battery box was broken, couple of nice dents and screws missing in a few places.

My other dealings with BC members have resulted in great gear at good prices and the guys I've dealt with have been super friendly, chatty and a pleasure to deal with.

Always check feedback! Did the seller have any? If so (or even if not!) make sure you leave some so that future buyers can be aware.

Still, you can get the odd let-down. Maybe the seller changed his mind? After all, placing an advert does not place you under some sort of contract to sell... but if that is the case then the comms need to be very transparent, and it seems that yours weren't in this case Well, not [b][i]yours[/i][/b], but the ones made with you!).

It's disappointing, but it's life unfortunately. I still find BC to be the best place to buy, sell and trade gear B)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1436192897' post='2815786']
The deal isn't done until goods & money has changed hands. Always assume there's a chance it could go wrong at any point before then, and you'll never be disappointed.
[/quote]Unfortunately, the era of the gentlemans agreement has long gone. Shame really

Always check feedback! Still, you can get the odd let-down. Maybe the seller changed his mind? After all, placing an advert does not place you under some sort of contract to sell... but if that is the case then the comms need to be very transparent, and it seems that yours weren't in this case Well, not [b][i]yours[/i][/b], but the ones made with you!).

It's disappointing, but it's life unfortunately. I still find BC to be the best place to buy, sell and trade gear B)

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1436193149' post='2815794']
Having dealt with the same person I think you are on about, I was involved in a similar situation. A deal pending on the sale of the Skjold.

Alas a deal is not done until it is done.
[/quote][quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1436193149' post='2815794']
Having dealt with the same person I think you are on about, I was involved in a similar situation. A deal pending on the sale of the Skjold.

[/quote][quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1436193149' post='2815794']

[/quote]

The plot thickens. Anyway I've reported the "Sorry but I'm afraid I won't be able to deal with you on the Skjold" post to the mods. I suppose It's a case of buyer beware.

Ive had a fair amount of good experiences on here and taken 2 what I consider "risks" , where posts / feedback was not in abundance, and all was well.

Having said that even in the best places, where there are humans, there will be issues

You may then lose your deposit. I would be extremely wary of leaving deposits more so now that this is appearing in BC.
If you at least paid via Paypal etc you might have some comeback.

I've never had any issues or concerns on BC and alsways seem to get absolute gentlemen buyers or sellers who can't do enough to help see the transaction complete as it should be.

Still best place to buy and sell for me.

Dave

I regret the OP's disappointment and sympathize. Nevertheless I don't quite see how someone backing out of a deal where no money has yet changed hands is either 'untrustworthy' or something for the mods to deal with.

People say they'll buy something then suddenly disappear off the radar. People say they'll sell something then they change their mind. It's bloody annoying but unless there are specific shenanigans of which I'm unaware, I'd just chalk it up to experience. :(

Also, having sold and bought scads of stuff here, on other music forums, gumtree and ebay, I'd have to say BC is better than most (though not entirely problem-free).

If the marketplace is going to continue to be a place where we can buy and sell with confidence then people need to be aware of the need for dealing in a trustworthy and transparent way.

My issue is that I sold my bass to buy this. It also took the seller almost a month to decide they didn't want to sell to me.

Also the sale thread is still alive ??

When selling or buying on ebay I can see that once you click "Buy" that's it - you clicked, you bought. No backing out. It's all buying blind really. I've bought basses that way and found out that not all Fender's (for example) sound the same, even though the spec might appear to be the same.

When buying on BC I expect to arrange to go and see a bass, try it and buy if I like it. If I don't like it, or I'm not sure I'll politely back out and wish the other guy all the best and leave. I'd expect exactly the same in the return. We all know that many basses can't simply be tried out in a store, because stores don't stock them. I expect that I can go and try a bass, as long as I genuinely set out honestly wanting to buy and not simply go "tyre kicking".

If the seller has driven a fair way, to meet I'd expect to cover his/her costs if I've wasted their time. (Never happened yet).

I may be wrong on all this, of course. I was once in a situation where I drove 120 miles to try a bass. We were given a cuppa and hot-cross buns! I tried 2 basses. One was the one I went to try. It was ok, but not for me. The other was really cool, but a good bit more than I could afford, but served to show that I could be far better suited to a bass other than the one I went there to try.

I can understand the seller was disappointed, but I'd been the one who'd forked out for the fuel for going there, so I left empty handed.

When I got home I had a PM informing me that generally everyone on BC are really good guys and a pleasure to meet. I was, I was told, not one of them. I was the scum of the earth and should hang my head in shame.

So I guess not all folk here have the same outlook or expectations?

I have just had a few where people say they are going to do something and then either dissapear or completely change their mind without telling you.
Although I would still go for buying, as no problem until the deal is done, I think for selling I would probably go for ebay first.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1436202684' post='2815943']When I got home I had a PM informing me that generally everyone on BC are really good guys and a pleasure to meet. I was, I was told, not one of them. I was the scum of the earth and should hang my head in shame.
[/quote]

Wow, that really does surprise me, even more so than the OPs issue. The nerve of some people!
As has been said, the deal isn't done until the money changes hands and it's not as if you wasted their time making them
travel for the meet. Really boils my p*ss when someone acts like that much of an arse whilst still thinking they're in the right.

Sold a bass recently, halfway meet and was entirely happy to come home with it if the seller wasn't happy
with it. I'd rather find another buyer than have someone feel obliged to buy something they don't want.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1436197955' post='2815865']
I regret the OP's disappointment and sympathize. Nevertheless I don't quite see how someone backing out of a deal where no money has yet changed hands is either 'untrustworthy' or something for the mods to deal with.

People say they'll buy something then suddenly disappear off the radar. People say they'll sell something then they change their mind. It's bloody annoying but unless there are specific shenanigans of which I'm unaware, I'd just chalk it up to experience. :(

Also, having sold and bought scads of stuff here, on other music forums, gumtree and ebay, I'd have to say BC is better than most (though not entirely problem-free).
[/quote]

I'll go with this ... you can get pretty much down to the wire and the other guy pulls out of the deal ..
Oh well.. .. at least you know before money and goods have changed hands.

I'd only really want to deal with 'names' anyway... but some people see it as a marketplace only.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1436202684' post='2815943']
When buying on BC I expect to arrange to go and see a bass, try it and buy if I like it. If I don't like it, or I'm not sure I'll politely back out and wish the other guy all the best and leave.
[/quote]

Well as far as I'm concerned an offer to [b]buy [/b]is just that and I don't expect someone to back out unless they can reasonably claim its somehow significantly not as I've described it. If someone wants to come and try something out then that's fine so long as we've mutually agreed that is what is happening before hand.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='morsefull' timestamp='1436195607' post='2815830']
The plot thickens. Anyway I've reported the "Sorry but I'm afraid I won't be able to deal with you on the Skjold" post to the mods. I suppose It's a case of buyer beware.
[/quote]

Hmmm, I get that you're disappointed but what is there to report? That the seller changed his mind? Really? :huh:

I think you're over-reacting a little bit.

[quote name='morsefull' timestamp='1436200241' post='2815904']
If the marketplace is going to continue to be a place where we can buy and sell with confidence then people need to be aware of the need for dealing in a trustworthy and transparent way.

My issue is that I sold my bass to buy this. It also took the seller almost a month to decide they didn't want to sell to me.

Also the sale thread is still alive ??
[/quote]

It is disappointing but I don't see an issue with "trustworthiness"...

You sold a bass to buy the other one... and now you don't have either. That is annoying, I truly understand that... but until the sale is really done, the bass you want to buy is not yours!
So the seller took a long time to decide not to sell it and had you waiting? Yes, annoying, but it's entirely his prerrogative. Similarly, you could have chosen to walk away.

I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I can't see how this is a confidence issue, or something for the mods to worry about.

There are a lot of items for sale by a lot of different people... some are more reliable than others. You just hit one that wasn't so much. Bad luck. It happens. He did not take your money, 'though.
Remember that an item you want which is for sale, it's not really yours until "the deed is done", and both parties can change their minds. It doesn't happen often, but it happens sometimes. That's life.