Why become a member? ×

Protect Contego users, help needed!

M@23

Sorry, this is another gigbag thread.

Would someone be so kind as to measure the internal length of the Contego please?

Some places online say it is 46.5", others say 48". Some people say they don't take jazz basses well, some say they don't take 4 in a line headstocks well...! As I can't get my hands on one before purchase, I would hugely appreciate some help here.

The bass it would house is a Sandberg VM5 - which is a 34" scale, 4&1 tuner configuration P bass.

If it is indeed 46" inside length, it would be too short as the bass is about 46.5" with the bottom strap peg.

Thanks!

Edited by M@23

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1436544014' post='2819063']
It fits! I had a VM-5 and i can confirm this. The Contego also fits a Yamaha TRB-5PII (35" with a big headstock) easily.
[/quote]

Nothing more to add :) I've had several Contegos and they'll certainly fit your Sandberg Matt

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1436806996' post='2820974']
Just an off-topic question here, do you know the cheapest places to get one of these? I'll need another for an incoming bass ;)
[/quote]

Thomann mate. Mine was a touch over £82.

The price increase, I assume comes from Protec. Whilst researching the case, I found an old thread whereby it was mentioned the Thomann price was cheaper than cost price from the UK distributor to a certain shop.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1436822350' post='2821205']
The price increase, I assume comes from Protec. Whilst researching the case, I found an old thread whereby it was mentioned the Thomann price was cheaper than cost price from the UK distributor to a certain shop.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I love the Contego but i must see if it's worth spending that kind of money to store a backup bass that'll be out of the house half dozen times a year...
The bass certanly worths it but i think i'll just take the heavy harcase on those few gigs.

IME unless you actually need to use the case to carry the bass on your back while walking to gigs/rehearsals you would be better off with a Hiscox Case. They give much better protection, are not very much heavier than the average semi-rigid case and are actually slightly smaller! Also the prices are about the same.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I've lived with this case for a week, two gigs and two rehearsals... I'm sending it back.

It is an utterly brilliant case, lots of storage and very nicely made. It fits the bass well and offers lots of protection. But, it is too bulky for me. My bass isn't the lightest and once in the case the whole thing is a bit cumbersome.

For those thinking of buying one, I would buy another. I really like the case. But, a gigbag it ain't. I'm going to be swapping it for a MONO Vertigo.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1436806996' post='2820974']
Just an off-topic question here, do you know the cheapest places to get one of these? I'll need another for an incoming bass ;)
[/quote]

Thomann, mine came from there last week.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1437670673' post='2828096']
For anyone interested, I've lived with this case for a week, two gigs and two rehearsals... I'm sending it back.

It is an utterly brilliant case, lots of storage and very nicely made. It fits the bass well and offers lots of protection. But, it is too bulky for me. My bass isn't the lightest and once in the case the whole thing is a bit cumbersome.

For those thinking of buying one, I would buy another. I really like the case. But, a gigbag it ain't. I'm going to be swapping it for a MONO Vertigo.
[/quote]

What are you carrying in the pouches ?

There's a temptation to put loads in them, thus making them really heavy. I use mine and travel miles on the train, but I learned early on not to carry too much in the pouches, I use a separate bag for pads etc, I just carry my cable and clip on tuner in the Protec.

Yep. My TRB isn't a light bass at 5kg, the Contego bag doesn´t make it much heavier to haul but if i put the B3 or the Promethean head on the bag plus some cables the whole thing turns in to a pain in the a** to carry. I have a travel case (trolley) where i store all the cables, amp heads, fx, mics, etc. I can get to a venue in one very easy travel, bass on the back, trolley in one hand and S12T on the other. I only have to carry the weight of the bass on my shoulders the rest is on wheels.

I don't put much in the pockets. One cable, batteries, strap, business cards, clip on tuner.
I wish I could afford to keep the Protec as I think it is a brilliant case. It's just, having lived with for a week, done a few load ins, it's not what I'm after. If anything, I don't even need that level of protection - which before buying was my main requirement. So, I'll look into the more compact, lighter options.