Why become a member? ×

DHA David Hall Amplification - anyone tried these?

ricksterphil

Yup. Love them. My weapon of choice is the VT1 EQ, and I never leave home without it. Even festival gigs where there isn't room or time to take the pedalboard I'll have it velcroed to my amp head.

There's a really comprehensive review here:

https://youtu.be/cYpdDY3dMxo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436230417' post='2816295']
I too had a VT1 EQ and it was really good. I can't actually remember why I sold it, now. :rolleyes:
I would also recommend the Tech-21 VT Bass and if you're on a budget, Behringer's BDI-21.
[/quote]

I had a VT2 Twin EQ DI one. It was fantastic. I can't remember why I sold it either....

I have to say I'm not a fan of the BDI-21. I know it's quite well regarded, but for me it sounded terrible.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1436247076' post='2816305']
I have to say I'm not a fan of the BDI-21. I know it's quite well regarded, but for me it sounded terrible.
[/quote]

Depends what you do with it. If you just want to liven up a boring amp - *cough* Markbass! *cough* - thicken up your tone and have a bit of grit, it's just the job and great value. If you want it to sound like an Ampeg SVT-CL on full song through an 8 X 10 you are going to be a bit disappointed. The VT Bass is much better at that sort of thing. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436256216' post='2816377']
Depends what you do with it. If you just want to liven up a boring amp - *cough* Markbass! *cough* - thicken up your tone and have a bit of grit, it's just the job and great value. If you want it to sound like an Ampeg SVT-CL on full song through an 8 X 10 you are going to be a bit disappointed. The VT Bass is much better at that sort of thing. :)
[/quote]

The former, and I was still disappointed. I had a BDDI (sold that too) before the DHA and hoped the BDI-21 would come close. But it didn't.
I wondered if I'd had a faulty one, but listening to youtube clips proved that wasn't the case.
May be I'm just really picky :unsure:

I had a BDI-21 to do exactly what Mark was coughing about above, found I never switched it off, so 'upgraded' to the BDDI, which I didn't think was a whole lot different for several times the price. Never went to the DHA stuff because I was off in the long grass buying hybrid valve pre/Class D heads, and some bigger stuff, but I've always had a kinda 'I don't need one but I'd like one' GAS for DHA kit...

Got rid of my tech21 bddi earlier this year and bought a DHA VT1 Bass Drive EQ DI. Couldn't be happier. Much more organic sounding than the sansamp and does everything from flat through to nice and gritty/fuzzy, Almost too many options with all the colour and boost switches but nice to have. The sweepable mids and 3 band EQ are (for me) a great improvement on the sansamp. I do indeed tend to sit mine in front of a markbass rig to warm things up and send to desk /pa if needed and give my passive P & J a bit more presence. One thing I'm still getting used to is that a real tube takes time to warm up, and your sound will get a little more gritty as the night goes on because of this - pretty cool tbh and easy enough to dial back.

DHA build good stuff. For me, though, the number of valve emulator pedals and the increasing quality of these puts rear valve pedals with large footprints and tricky power requirements on the back foot for me.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1436267574' post='2816510']
May be I'm just really picky :unsure:
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that. Any of the DHA stuff is going to be better than a BDI and it's priced accordingly. Horses for courses and all... :)

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1436247076' post='2816305']
I had a VT2 Twin EQ DI one. It was fantastic. I can't remember why I sold it either....[/quote]

I am on the look out for a VT2 EQ after selling mine too. I know it's too big and you need to make sure you have the right power supply but nothing has come close for me and that's after a whole number of drive pedals.

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1436299041' post='2816919']
I am on the look out for a VT2 EQ after selling mine too. I know it's too big and you need to make sure you have the right power supply but nothing has come close for me and that's after a whole number of drive pedals.
[/quote]

I found this with the VT1 EQ. I'm on my second, as I thought I could get the same sound with smaller, 9v centre-negative pedals.

Turns out that I couldn't. :( If you wants a tube drive, [i]buys[/i] a tube drive.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1436299041' post='2816919']
[/quote]

When I had mine I did wonder about reboxing it. But 2 things stopped me.
1) anything that would replace it would be just as big, if not bigger.
2) too many holes to drill...

I need to flog some junk and buy another...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1436606494' post='2819436']
I had a VT-2 Dual Bass Custom, and it really did sound great! But just too big for my board really :)

Si
[/quote] I picked up a [url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page37.html"][font="Verdana"][color="#142065"]VT2-Twin-EQ[/color][/font][/url] a while back and it was too big for my board - so I got a bigger board :-). It's way better than the sansamps I've had before and I wouldn't be without it

I use the B3 in the effects loop of my radial bassbone. This allows me to add an EQ before or after the patch to tweak even further whilst the bassoon allows me to blend what I want.

I've had loads of comments regarding my tone from my MarkBass LM3.

Bought my B3 new years ago but from what I pick up from this forum they can be found pretty cheap!