Why become a member? ×

Boosey and Hawkes 'Artia' 3/4 size Double Bass
£950

[attachment=195828:untitled.jpg][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I am selling my [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Boosey & Hawkes[/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] "Artia" 3/4 size Double Bass. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I bought it last year and has been owned by a couple of Basschat members I believe.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The bass does not come with a[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] bow, but It has a "Theodore" padded gig-bag w[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]hich cost around £60 and a new stand (worth £40) that I bought in September, these will both be sold along with the bass, [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]From previous information given to me I am quoting the original text (If Marc doesn't mind)....[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"It dates, I believe from around 1980 -[/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and[/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] for an instrument of this age, it has a few knocks & dings - which is only to be expected[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]However, none of these bumps have any effect on the playability or sound[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have tried to picture the main ones, which are on the edges [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TBH - these look worse repairs in the photos than they actually are[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and the[/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]re are no cracks or other concerns[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The fingerboard is ebony (not another dyed wood) [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and it looks and [/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]sounds beautiful[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], it is strung with Innovation Silver Slap strings[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]NB. These Eastern European DB's are not like the modern Chinese laminate Db's [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]They really are high quality construction[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Though less lively than a solid carved bass - it's a loud, really warm sound"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I do not wish to post this so this is collection only from Caerphilly area in South Wales. [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]I'm selling the bass as I'm really a guitar/mandolin/ukulele player and I'm going to stick to what I do best, I love the bass though and will be sorry to sell. [/color][/font]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad you're enjoying it andybass23
It's a beautiful bass, with lovely,warm, rich tones

I missed this bass as soon as I sold it to Al
But needs must,as ever....

Just glad she ended up somewhere she'll be played :)
Good luck, and look after her! lol

PS. Mods need to close this thread now please...
Ta

Oh, I dunno, Marc. We could see how long we can keep it going with praise of Bertha the Cool. I cried when you bought her from me, even though she just stood there in the spare room not getting played. And she started off a good friendship between our families too. Pretty cool.

No, why not keep it going for a while; I know how you must feel, Sarah. I sold one of mine a few years ago and in all the euphoria of acquiring new ones I lost sight/touch of it completely, which now irks me. Very soon I'll be selling one of mine again and this time I'll keep in touch with the buyer - and try not to cry when it goes. DBs are like family, they have feelings too.

Edited by bassace

Actually, you both have a point
Or perhaps we need a separate thread, which helps previous owners keep in touch
as to what is happening with their DB? :)

I'm so sorry you cried Sarah - I would never have wished to upset such a lovely person
There was a tear in the corner of my eye, when I sold her too...
Because of course, I had played her at mine & Mrs S' wedding
Mrs S was also sad to see her go

Bertha seems to have tugged on so many peoples heart strings!
A great looking, sounding & feeling bass - she just has a personality of her own

But you can't keep them all
Especially if, like me, you keep upgrading / buying more etc etc