Why become a member? ×

d'addario balanced tension strings? different?

goonieman

Hi all,

Anyone have experience with these?
http://www.daddario.com/balanced_tension.page?sid=54b93a2d-f6d4-4528-8c42-cffd983e36fd#benefits

I've read some reviews, but am still curious. There is not a lot out there actually.

Currently I have some DR Fat Beams on my Warwick Corvette, and quite liking them.

I don't mind nickel hex core. My main interest in the different feel and logic of balanced tension. As I setup my own basses I am very interested (read: neurotic) about appropriate relief, saddle radius and height etc. So it makes sense to finish it all off with balanced tension, right?

Or do they sound rubbish? Other downsides?

Yes, I've used these on a couple of my basses and on my guitar, too.
In short they are great and you should definitely try them. :)

They are a revelation really, makes you realise that over time you have got so used to your strings being wildly differing tension that you don't really notice it. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it - I think every manufacturer should at least offer them as an option.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436300152' post='2816938']
Yes, I've used these on a couple of my basses and on my guitar, too.
In short they are great and you should definitely try them. :)

They are a revelation really, makes you realise that over time you have got so used to your strings being wildly differing tension that you don't really notice it. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it - I think every manufacturer should at least offer them as an option.
[/quote]

Thanks - that's reassuring. But.. do you still use them? Why/why not?

Edited by goonieman

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1436301637' post='2816955']
But.. do you still use them? Why/why not?
[/quote]

Not currently, but it's not because I don't like them - I've been sent some strings for review and also because having used Rotos exclusively for more than 30 years I'm frantically trying out lots of different strings.

I do have a couple of packs of new BTs ready to go - this is a good sign - I never buy strings twice if I don't get on with them. I also like DR Fat Beams, so suspect we might be on the same page. :)

Remember that "balanced" does not mean equal tension as the diagrams on the D'Addario site show. The tension on E string in the medium set is still down in comparison to the other strings. And there still isn't a 5-string set - I'm guessing from what I'm seeing with the E string that getting the low B anywhere near the tension of the other strings is still not possible without going for a much thicker string than normal.

Also remember that the feel of the strings is as much a function of compliance as it is of the actual tension. While tension can be easily calculated and is constant for a given string at a given scale length and tuning no matter what bass it is fitted to, compliance depends on many more factors that may be unique to a particular bass such as break angles over the nut and bridge saddles as well as length of the non-speaking sections of the string. So what feels "balanced" on one bass could feel uneven on another.

While efforts to get the lower strings up to the same tension as the others are to be applauded, I can't help but think that "balanced" tension is mostly a marketing smokescreen.

I've switched to these from DR Sunbeams as they were getting just too pricey. it took me a bit to get used to the feel of the BTs but I really really like them now. I'm also using BTs on six string.

The sound of our balanced tension sets is the same as our other nickel-plated round wound strings because they are constructed in exactly the same manner, it's more of a feel thing. As others have pointed out the perception of tension depends on a great number of factors, however the BT sets go a long way to making the instrument feel more consistent across the strings. I use the balanced tension sets on my basses and supplement them with singles where I need a low B or high C.

I'd recommend giving them a go if you have any interest and you may or may not prefer them, it's a matter of personal taste. I for one really like them, I feel that the low E has a nicer feel and moving between strings on the upper register of the instrument feels smoother as there isn't a big difference in tension between the D and the G.

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1436371362' post='2817622']
The sound of our balanced tension sets is the same as our other nickel-plated round wound strings because they are constructed in exactly the same manner, it's more of a feel thing. As others have pointed out the perception of tension depends on a great number of factors, however the BT sets go a long way to making the instrument feel more consistent across the strings. I use the balanced tension sets on my basses and supplement them with singles where I need a low B or high C.

I'd recommend giving them a go if you have any interest and you may or may not prefer them, it's a matter of personal taste. I for one really like them, I feel that the low E has a nicer feel and moving between strings on the upper register of the instrument feels smoother as there isn't a big difference in tension between the D and the G.
[/quote]

That makes sense given my previous comment.

Incidentall, just had a new set arrive from the 50% off deal, so thanks very much!

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1436371362' post='2817622']

[/quote]

Thanks for commenting. Are you going to be producing BT in steels? Also which set (with what gauge low B) would you recommend that I try bearing in mind that my current preferred sets are LaBella Steels 40-128 (G-B) and Warwick Black Label Steels 40-130? Thanks!

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1436306490' post='2817013']
I've switched to these from DR Sunbeams as they were getting just too pricey. it took me a bit to get used to the feel of the BTs but I really really like them now. I'm also using BTs on six string.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I did, after the prices on Sunbeams went up. I like a low action, and I have to say the balanced tension are a great string for feel, and allow you to get a nice low action with minimal buzzing. They sound like regular XL nickels, (so not quite as warm as Sunbeams) but they do a great job of making the tension feel equal across all strings.

I recently bought a set of Sunbeams, as I hadn't had any for a while, they lasted one rehearsal and came straight off. Just could not go back after trying the BT's! The Sunbeams are a low tension string anyway so I think this had something to do with it.

Great price too. Do it!

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1436375323' post='2817679']
That makes sense given my previous comment.

Incidentall, just had a new set arrive from the 50% off deal, so thanks very much!
[/quote]

Ok, count me in for a trial. where's the 50% off deal at?!

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1436381236' post='2817762']

Ok, count me in for a trial. where's the 50% off deal at?!
[/quote]

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/264169-50-discount-on-daddario-strings/page__fromsearch__1

My preferred roundwound string. I have used them on my fretted basses for a year or two now and currently instlled on 4 basses. I like the feel and the really piano like tones.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1436379189' post='2817734']
Thanks for commenting. Are you going to be producing BT in steels? Also which set (with what gauge low B) would you recommend that I try bearing in mind that my current preferred sets are LaBella Steels 40-128 (G-B) and Warwick Black Label Steels 40-130? Thanks!
[/quote]

I'm not aware of any plans to produce BT ProSteels sets. We do however have an amazing tool on our website for working out string tension [url="http://stringtensionpro.com/"]www.stringtensionpro.com[/url]. This can be very useful for working out which additional strings would be appropriate to add to our BT sets.

If you currently prefer Steels in 40-130 I'd recommend our EPS190 set with a single PSB130 (if you want an equivalent to the LaBella or Warwick strings).

If you want something with equivalent feel in nickel-wound BT you'd be looking at our EXL170BT with an XLB135, they are slightly higher tension than the Prosteels however this should compensate for the stiffer feel of ProSteels. Strictly speaking the .135 is a bit light to call this "set" BT, but to achieve this you'd need a .145 which is probably a bit on the chunky side for normal applications.

I love these strings. I now have them on all my basses. I was a bit worried about a .107 E string but after the first strum i was hooked. Ive used nickel XL's for years, and to be honest i dont really hear any overall balance difference (if there is supposed to be one) but the overall feel is really nice and i find it quite inspiring.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1436431023' post='2817994']
...I don't really hear any overall balance difference (if there is supposed to be one) [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]but the overall feel is really nice...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I think the 'balance' bit is about the 'tension' of the strings, not the sound. Which may be why you like the overall feel. :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1436433185' post='2818033']
...as all the strings are different gauges to what I used to use I would think the tone would also be a bit more even string to string.
[/quote]

Ah, then I misunderstood your post. :) You're probably right. I found that I had been subconsciously compensating for uneven tension across the strings, it actually takes a while to get used to the fact you don't have to do that any more - and that's when the BTs become easy and natural to play.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436436117' post='2818075']

Ah, then I misunderstood your post. :) You're probably right. I found that I had been subconsciously compensating for uneven tension across the strings, it actually takes a while to get used to the fact you don't have to do that any more - and that's when the BTs become easy and natural to play.
[/quote]

This right here. Try going back to something like Sunbeams after you've played BT's and you realise how all over the place they are in terms of feel. I used to love them though, so I must have been compensating in my technique.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this post: I finally got a hold of some balanced tensions d'addario and put them on my bass - WOW - this is the way to go.

The bass feels so much more logical now. Slapping and popping doesn't uncover weird asymmetries in tension, and the setup is even identical in the sense the strings buzz and rattle to the same degree (all other factors accounted for).

In summary: why on earth... WHY ON EARTH are balanced tension strings not standardised!?

I fully recommend folks just try these at least once...