Why become a member? ×

Compression - advice please

Wonky2

Hi folks

In all the years I've been playing I've never really had any use or need for effects of any kind really....

I'm lusting after a certain sound I hear from time to time, and I think it is compression ?!?

Sorry if this sound all a bit daft and ignorant, but I'd really appreciate some advice on a first step into using a compressor...... My understanding of them is pretty crude in the sense that I understand they limit the attack or level of a note and squash it so that the delivery is consistent ???? (Is that right) I'm sure they do more than that, but it did warn you I was crude ;) hahaha

Any advice is welcomed, in regard to what to use, how to use it....

Is compression something that most modern bass players use ? The sound I want is that kind of rounded tone on runs ? Sorry , pathetic description I know hahahah

Help !

In a nutshell they compress (squash) the dynamics of the signal, so that there is not so much volume change between loud and quiet. You can control how much compression takes place, it is quite a big topic, but that's the nitty gritty.

Something like an MXR87 would be a great pedal to experiment with as it has an LED indicator to show you how much compression is taking place.

Another good option is the EBS Multicomp, 2 knobs and a 3-mode switch.

Fool proof compressor and it fattens your sound a little too due to being an "opto" style comp.

Check http://www.ovnilab.com/ for reviews of many of the comps on the market and all done by a bass player.

Edited by Byo

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1436309668' post='2817042']
Check [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url] for reviews of many of the comps on the market and all done by a bass player.
[/quote]

+1 - one of the best online resources for everything you need to know about compression. Start by reading the FAQ section right at the top of the page..

+1 for ovnilabs, invaluable resource.

The best way to imagine a compressor as a sound guy with his finger on the fader controlling your volume. every time you play too loud he turned your volume down, and then when you play quietly he turns the volume back up. You can tell him that you want the overall volume to be louder or quieter, or you can tell him to be quicker/slower of the draw (and give more/less attack to the note).

I usually run my compressor after the tuner and I had problem with my wah pedal. Recently sold bunch of pedals and bought a Zoom B3 and I run the B3 last on the chain because of the DI and headphone output. With compressor engage on the B3 my wah pedal sounded good and even.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1436363362' post='2817516']
Recent threads on compression have not ended well... let's hope this one can stay helpful, informative and pleasant! <_< :D
[/quote]

Ha, I must have missed those, how does a compressor thread go sour?! Disagreement on optimal ratio?! 2:1!! 10:1 !!! (best not ask I suppose) :D

Arguing first vslast is like arguing flanger vs phaser, or which pedal you should stick your expression into. Does similar but different things. Theres merits for either/both.

If i didnt have more pressing GAS id be after a compressor w/ side-chaining to put last alongside my compressore at the start.

And as for compression as a tool vs effect, that changes depending on what your looking for. I think its great that it can be used as both, not many effects have that kind of versatility.

Edited by elephantgrey

Could you give an example of the sound you hear that you think is compression?

As other's have said, ovnilab.com is a great resource.

I love compression. But not all compressors are created equal. After 20+ years and lots of different pedal compressors, I'm now using a rack compressor. It's great, and using a low threshold and very low ratio it subtly thickens my tone but doesn't kill my dynamics - compression as a tone tool. This then goes through to the second channel, with a high threshold and high ratio to catch any unwanted accidental spikes and makeup gain set to make the most of my amp's headroom - utility compression.

A lot of pedals give you control of only one or two parameters, the rest of the action is preset. The old Trace Elliott dual band was highly regarded by some. I had one and to me it was just an expensive, large and heavy DFA box ;). The BBE I found to be smaller, lighter, cheaper version of the same. I've had a few Boss CS2 and CS3s. They're the opposite. Extreme squash and pump and great as an "effect" compressor. The Maxon CP9 Pro+ was great for tone thickening. Boss LMB-3 great for "utility" compression.

One thing I've learnt over the last few years is that a lot of recording engineers won't apply just one compressor to a bass, they will apply several compressors for different qualities.

I often run 2 compressors - one after envelope filter types but before the drive, and then after the drive as well.

If I have to only have it in once place then I'll lose the after drive one.

Placement causes very different sounds and there is no right or wrong place as long as it works for you.

I love my Empress Compressor, but I'm very keen to try the new Keeley one as well - that looks like a great unit.

Wonky

Can you link to the types of sound you like/are trying to achieve?

I've just got my hands on a Cali 76-G which goes into the 'always on' series loop on my basswitch and my bass has a very 'studio mixed' quality to it (how it's EQ'd will play a factor). It's a fat, round tone that from what I have heard so far just sounds just how I hear some studio bass tracks I'm gigging it tonight (in a trio) and looking forward to hearing it in my monitor mix with the band. I'm playing flat wounds on a 5'er jazz bass and its a just a great tone - I was playing along to Cosmic Girl by Jamiroquai earlier and feel like i'd a really good solid version of that tone on the go to give you an idea of what I was aiming for.

I wasn't using the germanium to dirty up the sound - but I will be experimenting with that tonight at the gig (might have the 4 string p bass with rounds along too just for fun)!

Edited by krispn

I just took the Empress Compressor our for a spin and it's so far the best I've had on my board. Closely followed by the Mad Professor Forest Green and Wampler Ego.

I have a review site here where you can listen to each of them (and a few more) if that might be helpful: http://bass-pedals.com/type-comp-limit.html

Also did a quick 101 on comp, trying to go through the basics: http://bass-pedals.com/tips-compression-101.html

Also recommend ovnilab like others!

In my younger days I used to place one after my Q-tron to tame the massive signal spikes that it would produce. I've since learned that putting the compressor before the filter makes everything more workable. who'dathunkit?

Properly useful, them compressors.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1436371231' post='2817620']

I love compression. But not all compressors are created equal. After 20+ years and lots of different pedal compressors, I'm now using a rack compressor. It's great, and using a low threshold and very low ratio it subtly thickens my tone but doesn't kill my dynamics - compression as a tone tool. This then goes through to the second channel, with a high threshold and high ratio to catch any unwanted accidental spikes and makeup gain set to make the most of my amp's headroom - utility compression.

A lot of pedals give you control of only one or two parameters, the rest of the action is preset. The old Trace Elliott dual band was highly regarded by some. I had one and to me it was just an expensive, large and heavy DFA box ;). The BBE I found to be smaller, lighter, cheaper version of the same. I've had a few Boss CS2 and CS3s. They're the opposite. Extreme squash and pump and great as an "effect" compressor. The Maxon CP9 Pro+ was great for tone thickening. Boss LMB-3 great for "utility" compression.

One thing I've learnt over the last few years is that a lot of recording engineers won't apply just one compressor to a bass, they will apply several compressors for different qualities.
[/quote]
[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1436722201' post='2820219']
Wonky

Can you link to the types of sound you like/are trying to achieve?

I've just got my hands on a Cali 76-G which goes into the 'always on' series loop on my basswitch and my bass has a very 'studio mixed' quality to it (how it's EQ'd will play a factor). It's a fat, round tone that from what I have heard so far just sounds just how I hear some studio bass tracks I'm gigging it tonight (in a trio) and looking forward to hearing it in my monitor mix with the band. I'm playing flat wounds on a 5'er jazz bass and its a just a great tone - I was playing along to Cosmic Girl by Jamiroquai earlier and feel like i'd a really good solid version of that tone on the go to give you an idea of what I was aiming for.

I wasn't using the germanium to dirty up the sound - but I will be experimenting with that tonight at the gig (might have the 4 string p bass with rounds along too just for fun)!
[/quote]

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1436371231' post='2817620']

[/quote]

Thanks for all the info guys.....
Ok what sound is it I think compression is doing..... ???

Try this : there are a number of runs at the end of most phrases 2:40 will take you straight to one...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc165VGs1Bg
NOTE ! I realise there is another effect at use here allthough im not sure what exactly it is, but it's the fluidity of the runs, the seamless transitition between notes where no particular one stands out..... I guess, compression?

Most likely the use of the other effect PLuS compression , not to mention playing technique !!

( realise the song may not float everyone's boat but the bass line really brings the track to life without being right forward in the mix.)

I like many things, play many styles.... But have a soft spot for my old CSN stuff ;)

Edited by Wonky2

Pretty much any recording of a bass guitar will be compressed. You'll also find at big gigs where the bass goes through the PA it is more than likely compressed too. In my opinion it's second only to EQ as to how versatile it can be in terms of setting the sound of the bass (or anything else for that matter). It can be a difficult beast to master, but once you get your head around compression it is an invaluable tool in defining your sound.

I use two compressors in my live setup, one with a slow(ish) attack, fast release and a low threshold - so that each note plucked triggers it and then backs off as the note sustains. This helps the bass sound full and consistent - if you dig in a bit, the slow attack still gives you more punch, but it doesn't get out of hand. This one goes first in the chain between the bass and the amp (before any other fx for me).
The second compressor has a fast attack, and a high threshold, so this only comes in occasionally but ensures the maximum level is pretty even. too much of this type of compression and it'll just sound squashed! This one goes last, after any effects, and depending on the amp, after the Pre-amp too.

I would check out Ovnilabs, as mentioned - try and get something versatile but simple to use - I don't care for the one-knob variety myself. You can get lots of variations in sound if you can play with Gain, Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release and Volume. Then, experiment away!!

TIP: Turn the Ratio up high, and the threshold low so you can hear what it's doing, adjust the other settings then back off on the Ratio/Threshold so it's more subtle - once you know what you're listening for! I find ones with LEDs to show gain reduction can be helpful too, but you should also use your ears really.

Cheers guys .....

The song I posted as an example..... Poor choice really as the octaver detracts away from the compression element I was curious about....
I've got a boss me50b multi effect board...I bought it simply as an opertunity to fiddle with a few effects as I've never used any before....
After I had finished tossing off over playing with a wah up/ down type filter I realised I pretty much had a tuner. :)
There is however a compressor on it. I assume this type on here is pretty poor in relation to a stand alone unit and the level of control seems limited.... I had a good long fiddle with it on Sunday afternoon... I couldn't decide if I liked the sound of the dcomp on or completely off... ?

I did manage to get the sound on that song I posted quite easily though with the octaver/ down and Dcomp on..... Sound pretty close to be honest......

I'd be frightened to,death of using this in a live setting though hahahaha

Your comments are appreciated folks...

I've just tried an MXR Bass Compressor. Whilst my MXR guitar pedals have arrived flawless and felt very high quality, I am a little perplexed with how this one feels a little bit 'cheap'. It probably isn't, but it just seems quite fiddly to work with. I tried it through headphones and used guidance to see how it worked, and to be honest it added hiss and some noticeable clipping/distortion and an almost 'digital' like texture to the tone. It was from Amazon (brand new and cheapest price) but it is going back today due to the noise and the fact the paint job looked like a Friday afternoon rush.