Why become a member? ×

Multi Effects Pedal Advice!

AJ88

Hi

I've been playing bass for a couple of years now and have just joined my first band. I've always played the bass clean but since joining I've thought about maybe getting a multi effects pedal. The band is a three piece (guitar, bass and drums) so thought effects might help thicken up the sound a bit, we play mainly rock/indie covers as well as some originals and will be playing in small/medium pubs etc.

I know individual effects pedals will give me a better sound quality but I thought I'd try a multi effects to see what I like before buying all sorts of different individual pedals and never using certain ones.

I have a pretty decent combo amp which I think will be loud enough for where we'll be playing and if not the amp has a direct out to send the signal to the PA system so I'm not too bothered about amp modelling.

I've done some research and these are the effects pedals I've been thinking of and I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on which would be better for me?

[b]Zoom B3[/b]
[b]Line 6 M9/M13[/b]
[b]Zoom B9.1 [/b]used because I don't think they are make them anymore
[b]Boss GT10B [/b]again used

I'm definitely open to other suggestions though

Cheers

Alec

I use a zoom ms60b as part of my board, and it sounds great. All the newer zoom units use the same algorithms (by newer i mean b3/ms60b/b1on). Id definitely suggest getting a zoom one.

The differences between the newer zoom units are:
b3. 3 effects, all with own footswitch and knobs.
ms60b. 4 effects, smaller footprint (same size as your average boss pedal)
b1on. 5 effects, middle sized footprint, cheapest (+avilable as b1xon with an expression pedal attached).

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1436647621' post='2819797']
Are separate pedals really better sounding ?

I just switched to a multi effects after using separates, and I think it's much better.
[/quote]

Mostly, separates sound better. But it depends on what effects you're talking about.

Overdrive/fuzz/distortion for example is majorly lacking in most multis. Octavers and pitch shifters are usually sub-par also.

Don't really want to spend much more than £200

I'd kind of disregarded line6 as I couldn't seem to find a bass specific pedal. I know people use the hd pedals but because I've not used pedals before I'm not sure how easy it will be for me to dial in some good bass tones.

[quote name='AJ88' timestamp='1436358716' post='2817438']...
I'm definitely open to other suggestions though...
[/quote]

An older model, but very complete: Boss GT-6B. Wide range of effects, quality sound, easy to use and programme, expression pedal, very solid. Not the latest gadget, but respected in its day and, imo, excellent bang for buck (around £100 or less..?).

Edited by Dad3353

I have had a.......

Zoom B9.1 - bought because it was being cleared out for £99 by a shop. Loads of fiddling fun but ultimately too bloody big, heavy and complex for what i wanted it for (a bit of compression,modulation and home practice).

Zoom B1on - fantastic value and brill for home practice. Ok on stage if you dont need too many different patches. Plastic but feels pretty sturdy. Hard to see the display on stage.

Zoom MS60B - awesome little box that lives on my pedalboard and provides everything i need in my covers band. The compressors and modulations are great, i dont use the distortions and the way you can set it up to add patches in to different songs is good. Easy to see the display on stage.
You can combine 4 effects for each patch. You can just use a single effect/patch and switch it in using the footswitch or you can advance through patches A, B, C etc by a single press on the switch. I set A up as bypassed, B as a chorus, C as bypass, D as SVT sim, E as bypass, F as Dbx compressor and just press once as i go thru the set when i come to a song that needs an effect.
Iist - you get the idea. Recommended bit of kit and small too. You can usually pick them up for about 50 quid from this site.

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='AJ88' timestamp='1436662997' post='2819870']
Don't really want to spend much more than £200

I'd kind of disregarded line6 as I couldn't seem to find a bass specific pedal. I know people use the hd pedals but because I've not used pedals before I'm not sure how easy it will be for me to dial in some good bass tones.
[/quote]

From what I can see the Line 6 stuff has decent bass models and FX - as good as any other bass specific modeller. It's the quality amp modelling that really makes a difference rather than FX themselves. Budget would preclude this option thoguh.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1436648201' post='2819801']
Boss ME50b was my main effects pedal for years. It's still my backup
[/quote]
I have the ME50B pedal too. Might be a bit pricey new(I paid about £200 for mine + £20-25 for the 9v Power unit/plug 10 years ago.), but it does a very good job. Plenty of features, good range of distortion/overdrive effects, nice delay effect section-the only iffy effect for me is the chorus setting-and well built.
To illustrate that last point, the gap between the last time I used it and now was 6 years and it still works perfectly(The last band I used it with sacked me in part for going overboard with a combination of signal boost, overdrive, reverb and wah, but the pedal helped me get the gig with my new band!).

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1436691664' post='2819925']
An older model, but very complete: Boss GT-6B. Wide range of effects, quality sound, easy to use and programme, expression pedal, very solid. Not the latest gadget, but respected in its day and, imo, excellent bang for buck (around £100 or less..?).

[/quote]Another thumbs up for the GT6B. Sure, it's not the easiest to programme but with a bit of time and application you can get some great sounds out of it. The presets are pretty impressive too, even if some are pretty much novelty sounds with minimal use (some of the step phaser ones are good fun though!) Another plus is that it is built like the proverbial brick outhouse - no cheap plastic casing here, this is solid aluminium! If you want to do some looping though, I'd recommend a separate pedal; the one on this board is pretty restricted

I have a Zoom B3, and it has to be one of the best sounding Multi FX I've tried. Very pleased I got one. The only downside to it, is you can only have 3 effects at a time. No big deal for me, but an be a "deal breaker" for those that use a few effects at once. It sounds great though.

Held off getting it for ages, as previously, I'd had a Berhinger V-Amp & a Lin6 Bass PODxt, and neither was that impressive IMO. Not tried the BOSS GT's though.