Why become a member? ×

Fitting a B string in a tight bridge

Grangur

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times over, but I've got a 5 string Warwick Thumb and I'm changing the strings. E-G are fine. The B string is slightly too fat to go through the guide slot in the bridge.

What should I do?
File the bridge?
File the sides of the string (D'Addario round wound)?
Thump it with a club hammer?

Many thanks

Does it have the old one-piece bridge? On all the Rockbasses I have (5-stringers) I opted for stripping the low B of its silk, but that might not be enough. I wouldn't see a probllem with filing the actual hole, providing you mask the surrounding area carefully to avoid damaging the finish, and take care not to allow rust to develop on the bare metal (if relevant).

Be careful not to damage the winding on the string, though!

I've just noticed you said 'the guide slot' not 'the hole' - so you have the new-style bridge. So the D'Addario roundwound B is even fatter than their Chrome?? I would get rid of the silk and delicately push it down, then, rather than file the slot.

Edited by bluejay

Thanks for the responses. Yes, this is the 2 piece bridge that you find on the typical German Thumb BO.

On this particular breed of string there is no silk. So no joy there.

I think the proper answer is to go for a tapered string. What I think I might do is see if filing the sides of the string, just gives me enough space to get it in there.

I've already tried squeezing the string with a large pair of pliars. No success there, but when you think that it's machine-wound, round a solid hex-core, I don't suppose there's any slack in the winding for a human hand squeezing to make any room there. That said, my OP was last night after a few moments of frustration. I've now read the Warwick Forum and this is what they is recommended there. They also say there's nothing wrong with you taking a file to the bridge to make the slot wider.

Warwick are now beginning to make 5 and 6 string bridges for non-tapered strings. So I could buy a new bridge.

*Sigh* if only I'd known all this before cutting the other strings to length

Thanks anyway guys

With the old bridge I resorted to drilling the anchor hole to a wider diameter - a little bit at a time. It is such a design defect that it might be worth approaching Warwick and asking for a new tailpiece. You might get lucky.

Yes, I had the same problem with my Warwick Corvette Std and filed the slots in the tail piece with a needle file. Took about 30 mins to do both the E and B slots. Now it fits .135 gauge B's and bulky E's with no issue. Go for it B)

Edited by rhythmbug

Oh, and I think we should also mention the [b]intonation [/b]issue. Anyone managed to correctly intonate a low B string on a Warwick without removing the saddle screw to push the saddle all the way back? I had to do just that on my two Corvette Pros, on my Rockbass Fortress 5 and two other Rockbass Corvettes.
Been told by experienced players that other makes have the same problem, sometimes even with intonation of the E string, so it's not just Warwick. Irritates me like hell.

At last it's fitted; for now at least. I used a pair of Mole-grips and squidged it narrower.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1436516998' post='2818701']
With the old bridge I resorted to drilling the anchor hole to a wider diameter - a little bit at a time. It is such a design defect that it might be worth approaching Warwick and asking for a new tailpiece. You might get lucky.
[/quote]
In the long run I might go for widening the slot. WRT getting a new tail piece, they're a company who, if you want a new neck, insist you send the old one back, so I doubt they'd miss on the chance of getting cash for a tail piece.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1436517913' post='2818718']
Oh, and I think we should also mention the [b]intonation [/b]issue. Anyone managed to correctly intonate a low B string on a Warwick without removing the saddle screw to push the saddle all the way back? I had to do just that on my two Corvette Pros, on my Rockbass Fortress 5 and two other Rockbass Corvettes.
Been told by experienced players that other makes have the same problem, sometimes even with intonation of the E string, so it's not just Warwick. Irritates me like hell.
[/quote]

Yes, that's my next job. It's not looking good so far, but I've got real paid work to do right now. Lets see later if I have any success on that. Somehow I don't hold out a lot of hope.

At least with a Fender you can re-drill the holes for the bridge and move it back 5mm.

I don't know this bridge, but I had what sounds like the same problem with my Wal. The B string wouldn't go into the slot on the bridge.

What I had to do was to lay the string away from the neck with the ball end where it should be by the bridge slot and then rotate the the string around on to the fret board so it slipped into the slot.

That might not be explained very well, but whatever you do you shouldn't damage either the string or bridge. There will be a way that they slot together. As a last resort email Warwick, but don't follow any advice about drilling or filing your bass.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1436518785' post='2818734']
This is what we are talking about re. Warwick (low B saddle, minus spring, to the right). The Thumb is similar:

[/quote]

That's it. The sides of the slot appear to be perpendicular. From reading the Warwick Forum it seems the 5 and 6 bridges were designed to be used only with tapered strings, which does leave your choices limited.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1436530640' post='2818914']
Any reason why you don't like the Warwick strings (which do fit, even the non-tapered red label versions)? They work and sound really good on my MiK Star bass.
[/quote]

Yes, I have an aversion to red. :P

I've not tried them. Maybe I'll give them a crack next time. Thanks for that.

TBH I bought this set of D'Addarios from a fellow BCer, so I'm being stingey I guess. :D

[quote name='rhythmbug' timestamp='1436540905' post='2819027']

Ignorance is bliss eh? It's a well known solution to a well known problem with 'wicks.
[/quote]

"Problem" or "design feature": to help them sell their branded strings?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1436545398' post='2819085']"Problem" or "design feature": to help them sell their branded strings?
[/quote]
Not really, the Red Label nickel B strings more often than not don't fit the Warwick tail piece! :shok:
Only after some fiddling with the string and some pliers they will go in.

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1436550311' post='2819148']

Not really, the Red Label nickel B strings more often than not don't fit the Warwick tail piece! :shok:
[/quote]

Ahh. So it looks like a file IS the answer. Thanks for that.

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1436550311' post='2819148']
[/quote]

Don't know about the nickel versions but the all the untapped B of Red Label steels I've tried have fitted the tailpiece of by StarBass without any problems.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1436516011' post='2818694']
Warwick are being a bit slow offering a design improvement here, arent' they.
[/quote]

I wanted to find out about this very thing about a month ago, and went exploring on the Warwick forum. Apparently Warwick did update the tailpiece, increasing the slot width by .5mm, and you can buy the new version at the Warwick shop for about 20EU + P&P (or 35EU if it's gold - bah). I'm in two minds as to whether to get a new one or file the old one (rather faded gold finish). See [url="http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php/13077-130-B-string-in-a-Warwick-bridge"]http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php/13077-130-B-string-in-a-Warwick-bridge [/url]and [url="http://shop.warwick.de/?&c=35352310036&lang=en&smk=1&modul=shop&site=shop_overview_2&filter=new&nm=D0405358001321517424A43801|Warwick|D0975238001321517429A45943"]http://shop.warwick.de/?&c=35352310036&lang=en&smk=1&modul=shop&site=shop_overview_2&filter=new&nm=D0405358001321517424A43801|Warwick|D0975238001321517429A45943[/url]