Why become a member? ×

Logic Pro X or Pro Tools

xgsjx

Oh, what's up with that subscription thing with Pro Tools btw?
Does it mean you have to renew (pay) every year or can you get away with just paying one time for the crossgrade?

I'm on Pro Tools 10 (started with Garageband and moved on to PT) but having 2nd thoughts about upgrading...

Logic seems fair enough, but it'll be hell to change platforms at this stage.

[quote name='Simon Andersson' timestamp='1438125377' post='2831970']
Oh, what's up with that subscription thing with Pro Tools btw?
Does it mean you have to renew (pay) every year or can you get away with just paying one time for the crossgrade?

I'm on Pro Tools 10 (started with Garageband and moved on to PT) but having 2nd thoughts about upgrading...

Logic seems fair enough, but it'll be hell to change platforms at this stage.
[/quote]

I believe you can just pay every month for it, a bit like Max MSP that I use, I just subscribe each month.

I found Logic Pro to be very intuitive to use.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1436544770' post='2819074']
I've been going to get Logic & just have different things coming up & delaying my purchase. However, I see that Pro Tools can be had on a pay monthly basis fro £19.90 or bought outright from a shop for £299 with an audio interface & ilok.

I'm mainly going to be using VSTis, but I do want to record instruments from time to time and also do the final mix.

Are there any users who could advise if Pro Tools is worth the extra money?

From what I've been reading, Logic is better for creating songs on, whereas PT is better for mixing & mastering. So maybe Logic would be better suited to me?
[/quote]

I always thought that the big selling point of pro tools was the dedicated hardware so not sure there is really a reason to use it unless your also using one of the excruciatingly expensive avid interface or dsp cards.

Thanks guys. I think my mind's made up & Logic it is. I've watched many videos too & it seems the biz.

I did last night however, see that Arturia ship Keylab Producer Pack, which comes with a DAW called Bigwig Studio, which looks quite good.

Sticking to getting LPX. :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1438168680' post='2832188']
I'm with ProTools these days because I don't have a mac... thinking of getting reason for the midi side of things and writing these days...
[/quote]

Reason is a great piece of kit. I had it up to 2.5 back in the day, move from PC to Mac & never updated it. The latest incarnations are pretty powerful.

I've been tempted by it many times, but with Logic being £150, it's a no brainer.

[size=4][quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1438173945' post='2832243']Reason is a great piece of kit.[/quote][/size]

[size=4]I [i]love[/i] Reason. I’ve been using it on and off since version 1 and doubt I’ll stray away from it anytime soon.[/size]

[size=4]All’s DAWs do pretty much the same thing. What I especially like about Reason is:[/size]
[list]
[*][size=4]The interface: it’s very immediate, intuitive and fun to use (it feels more like ‘play’ than ‘work’).[/size]
[*][size=4]The mixer: it comes bundled with a simulated SSL 9000k mixing desk, which is simply a joy to use.[/size]
[*][size=4]The patching: I really like how you can patch together different instruments and FX in very creative ways, simply by ‘flipping the rack’ and dragging/dropping the connecting ‘wires’ however you wish… as though wiring up hardware. It also includes emulated CV connections (control voltage), which are a world of creativity if you get your head into them.[/size]
[*][size=4]The company behind it - Propellerhead Software - are liberal-hippy Swedish folk who are clearly passionate about what they do. And probably work naked in a sauna, or something :)[/size]
[/list]

[size=4]The downsides…[/size]
[list]
[*][size=4]It’s quite expensive in comparison to Logic at around £350 (last time I checked).[/size]
[*][size=4]It uses a proprietary plug-in format (Rack Extensions or 'Re' for short) that prohibits use of more common VSTs and AUs (the upside, however, being that it’s a very stable platform and literally [i]never[/i] crashes).[/size]
[/list]
That said, I have very little experience of using Logic. The other DAWs I've used are Reaper [i](superb product, I just found that the workflow wasn't as fast or fun as Reason in my experience)[/i]; Cubase [i](I cut my teeth using this, but found that it used to crash a heckuva lot - but that was a long time ago!)[/i]; and Ableton [i](I'm planning on learning this in depth sometime soon... seems to have bags of potential).[/i]

[size=4]Worth downloading the Reason demo and having a dabble if you’re interested:[/size]

[size=4]https://www.propellerheads.se/reason[/size]

Now I want Reason And Logic!

Completely forgot that you can flip the rack & wire things up. I played with the CV on it all the time. Got some great rhythmic sounds that I'd otherwise never have come up with.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1438260138' post='2832988']
Now I want Reason And Logic!
[/quote]

...that same thought has crossed my mind before! :)

You can in fact 'ReWire' Reason into Logic and use it as a sort of 'VST on steroids'. Meant to be a very formidable set up according to people I know who do this - best of both worlds, if you have the budget.

Rewiring Reason into Logic is fun!

I've been using Reason since v1, stopped upgrading at version 6.5
Bought a new MBP and Logic this year.

I haven't installed Reason on the MBP because I'd have to have a USB hub. 2 USB ports on the MBP, 1 for USB3 memory stick, other for audio interface, would need a third for the Propellerhead's dongle.

But I have Reason and Logic on the iMac, when I remember I can do it I have endless fun.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1438271615' post='2833126']
Do people still try that?

I haven't heard that term for about 10 years!
[/quote]

Some folk still do. Don't know why though when you can buy a 2nd hand mac that'll amply do the job for a couple of hundred £.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1438282614' post='2833274']
Some folk still do. Don't know why though when you can buy a 2nd hand mac that'll amply do the job for a couple of hundred £.
[/quote]

Because I've got a desktop at home running 5 ssd's and only fancy having one home computer in the house no matter what I'm doing ;)

If you can point out a mac that'll do full audio processing for a couple of hundred £ then please point one out!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1438327277' post='2833516']
Because I've got a desktop at home running 5 ssd's and only fancy having one home computer in the house no matter what I'm doing ;)

If you can point out a mac that'll do full audio processing for a couple of hundred £ then please point one out!
[/quote]
That's a fair point.

I sold my old iMac for £200. It was 8 years old, but it was still a great spec'd machine by even todays standards. It had a 2,8 processor & 2 gb ram (which could be upped to 8). 500gb HD & 24" screen too. :)
Add an audio interface & Logic & I'm pretty sure it'd make an excellent music machine.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1438296325' post='2833447']
That's me just downloaded Logic. Bedtime now, so I'll play with it tomorrow.
[/quote]

How long did it take to download ?

When I got Pro X last year it took about 9 hours, but that's probably my rubbish broadband :)

I think for what you get, it's extremely good value. They also give updates with extra sounds for nothing too, but maybe they all do that ? There was a recent upgrade that gave a whole load more sounds and instruments that I haven't gotten around to downloading yet.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1438346699' post='2833756']
How long did it take to download ?

When I got Pro X last year it took about 9 hours, but that's probably my rubbish broadband :)

I think for what you get, it's extremely good value. They also give updates with extra sounds for nothing too, but maybe they all do that ? There was a recent upgrade that gave a whole load more sounds and instruments that I haven't gotten around to downloading yet.
[/quote]
To download Logic itself without the additional content took about 20 mins tops, but then I have really excellent broadband. :)

For the additional content, I set it to download & went to bed, then this morning I set it to download the additional instruments & went to work.

5pm can't come soon enough! :D

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1438352450' post='2833841']

To download Logic itself without the additional content took about 20 mins tops, but then I have really excellent broadband. :)

For the additional content, I set it to download & went to bed, then this morning I set it to download the additional instruments & went to work.

5pm can't come soon enough! :D
[/quote]

Ha that's what I did, left it overnight 😊 have fun I love it !

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1438346699' post='2833756']
There was a recent upgrade that gave a whole load more sounds and instruments that I haven't gotten around to downloading yet.
[/quote] The mellotron sounds are nice, and very usable!

Using nothing but Logic, I've made my first song in it. I even used the BC comp photo for inspiration :)

OK, I need to learn more about using it for EQing & mastering to get a more professional sound, but the things it can do are immense! Well chuffed with it!

https://soundcloud.com/xgsjx/in-flight

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1438941073' post='2838788']
Using nothing but Logic, I've made my first song in it. I even used the BC comp photo for inspiration :)

OK, I need to learn more about using it for EQing & mastering to get a more professional sound, but the things it can do are immense! Well chuffed with it!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/xgsjx/in-flight"]https://soundcloud.com/xgsjx/in-flight[/url]
[/quote]

Really good, I like it !

:)