Why become a member? ×

Guitar amp VSTs - blown away!

Greggo

I've always known you can record guitar direct into a computer using vst plugins but never had a good enough laptop to do it. Using my works laptop which is far more power I've dabbled with recording guitar in reaper using Lepou amp sims and various cabinet IRs and I'm actually blown away with the quality for free of these plugins. They basically sound like mac'd amps and far better than the amp simulation in any PODs I've heard.

It's something that has motivated me even more to play and record lots more especially now I can ditch my hardware multi track in favour of all recording direct!

[size=4]Aye! There are some fantastic free amp sims available... and many of them sound [i]very[/i] convincing indeed (and the quality of them just keeps on getting better).[/size]

[size=4]Good to hear you've been inspired to do more recording! :) Don't hesitate to post here if you want to share or request any hints and tips.[/size]

I've just started using Lepou amp sims in Reaper myself after recently getting a new guitar, pretty impressive sounding plugin, unlike my guitar playing which is rudimentary at best :D

I quite like this free Studio Devil amp, a tiny bit on bass works well.

http://www.studiodevil.com/products/british_valve_custom/

I love Reaper, it's such a good application. For amplifier sims I very strongly recommend all the products from Positive Grid, including BIAS and BIAS FX for desktop. Absolutely stunning! The latter enables dual parallel signal path configuration using different amp and cab configurations as well as a range of really good effect combinations.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1436906559' post='2822002']
reaper is excellent, i have switched from cubase and use reaper exclusively now, its no frills look means i rely on my ear rather than visuals, as such my results are so much better
[/quote]

Yes! I've tracked more than one album using Reaper - It's a great DAW that I find so incredibly user friendly. Does exactly what I want and when I want it. Oh and it's bonkers that it can even be installed on a USB stick for PC users. - On occasion I sent a project and the program itself on a stick for someone to check out - they didnt even need to install it! he he!

Thanks for the recommendations for other amp sims to try, I will give them a go as I dont think you can have too many virtual amp vsts! Im finding at the moment that my favourite Cabinet emulation software is Torpedo Wall of SOund III - its a paid software , but the actual cost of the extra cabs ( you get two included to start but have to buy at least one to continue after 30 days) is only £6 and they sound really professional - it has saved me the hassle of trauling through millions of free IR's just to find a decent one. I thought I'd get a bass cabinet so I went for the Ampeg 8 x 10 cabinet (called "Fridge"!) and some of the presets are incredible for it!

Edited by Greggo

If you happen to have an iPad you should really check out that side of things too. They are powerful enough these days to run full blown amp sims and plenty of people nowadays use an iPad as their main gigging/recording 'preamp'! I've not delved into that side myself, but can imagine that having all the amp/pedal controls right there in front of you on a touch screen would be much better than having to mouse around on a PC.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1436964586' post='2822375']
If you happen to have an iPad you should really check out that side of things too. They are powerful enough these days to run full blown amp sims and plenty of people nowadays use an iPad as their main gigging/recording 'preamp'! I've not delved into that side myself, but can imagine that having all the amp/pedal controls right there in front of you on a touch screen would be much better than having to mouse around on a PC.
[/quote]

Unfortunately I dont have an iPad, but have an Android device - is there anything of decent equivalent for Android?

I have just discovered this Automatic Double Tracking plugin that certainly brings a new dimension to your guitar tracks without having to play the part twice.

http://www.vacuumsound.de/plugins.html

Guys, I can only recommend (and quite strongly) the very nice SHB-1 by Ignite Amps: http://www.igniteamps.com/

You can use it in conjunction with Ignite Amps' NadIR to use various kinds of impulse responses.

Here is a link to my Dropbox folder with some of the impulse responses I collected during the years. Some are kind of ancient, others should probably be credited to someone on some forum, but I can't remember which are which. All of it is, to the best of my knowledge, in the public domain:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t3t0lu0dnqmeb2s/AACyieEePTo41mFn2TWKhleAa?dl=0

[quote name='biro' timestamp='1437588193' post='2827366']
Guys, I can only recommend (and quite strongly) the very nice SHB-1 by Ignite Amps: http://www.igniteamps.com/

You can use it in conjunction with Ignite Amps' NadIR to use various kinds of impulse responses.

Here is a link to my Dropbox folder with some of the impulse responses I collected during the years. Some are kind of ancient, others should probably be credited to someone on some forum, but I can't remember which are which. All of it is, to the best of my knowledge, in the public domain:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t3t0lu0dnqmeb2s/AACyieEePTo41mFn2TWKhleAa?dl=0
[/quote]

Thanks for those cabs I haven't got many bass cabs but loads of guitar. Ive users that ignite bass preamp it is very good indeed!