Why become a member? ×

Dumbo Amp/Cab Impedance Questions - please help.

Jazzneck

I'm currently using an Orange TB500 through a 4ohm BareFaced Retro210 - great sound and I'm very, very happy with the rig.
However, I have my old ELGEN 100W valve (4xEL34) head sitting around doing not a lot and I keep wondering what it would sound like through the BareFaced cab.

The ELGEN has a switchable output impedance. It can run 8 ohms or 15 ohms at 100W.

The Barefaced cab is 4 ohms.

My questions are:

Can I run the rig as is, selecting 8 ohms from the amp into the 4 ohm cab? What would happen?

Can I retap the output transformer on the ELGEN at 4 ohms to run into the 4 ohm cab? What would happen?

Do I ask Alex if he has a magic box, if such a thing exists, that I can fit between the ELGEN and the BareFaced?

Obviously I do not want to blow up or damage anything other than what little pride I have left.

All help and suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you.

The ELGEN will run perfectly happy with the Two10, just use the 8 ohm tap.

Remember, valve amps are the complete OPPOSITE of solid state amps when it comes to impedance. Too low doesn't bother them (though you'll get less power). Too high is what kills them - that's why you can't run them without a speaker attached because that would be an infinitely high impedance.

As a general 'rule of thumb', an amp with a valve/output transformer power section will accept a 50% tolerance of load variation. A 4 ohm load on an 8 ohm tap is not ideal, but won't damage the amp. In general, for these amps, a lower load is preferable to a higher one, quite the opposite from solid-state amps.
Subject to correction, completion or contradiction from others; hope this helps.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1436730107' post='2820332']
The ELGEN will run perfectly happy with the Two10, just use the 8 ohm tap.

Remember, valve amps are the complete OPPOSITE of solid state amps when it comes to impedance. Too low doesn't bother them (though you'll get less power). Too high is what kills them - that's why you can't run them without a speaker attached because that would be an infinitely high impedance.
[/quote]

Very interesting, never knew that, so if using a valve amp with a cab of unknown ohmage, select the highest ohmage/lowest number (am asking re our guitarist as he often uses other peoples cabs)?

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1436738152' post='2820398']
Just for the record.

The ohm is a unit of impedance.

There is no such word as ohmage.
[/quote]
The way the folk at "The Oxford English dictionary" work, there will be soon. But that's another story.

Great thread. Thanks guys.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1436738152' post='2820398']
Just for the record.

The ohm is a unit of impedance.

There is no such word as ohmage.
[/quote]

So it doesn't matter how many impediments you have? Or whether you live in Omaha?

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1436741551' post='2820423']
The way the folk at "The Oxford English dictionary" work, there will be soon. But that's another story.
[/quote]

I certainly hope not, otherwise it opens the door to all sorts of absurdities such as something flexible having "bendage".

Can't you rewire the Retro2-10 from 4 to 16ohms? i would guess it has two 8 ohm drivers connected in paralel, if you change it to series you would get the 16ohm, switch the pad in the amp from 8 to 16ohms and you're good to go.

Of course you will need to talk to Alex first to see if this is a possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks people.
I have tried the Elgen 8ohm into BareFaced 4ohm and it's very good. :)
Obviously a power reduction and a bit of earlier distortion but it sounded good and plenty loud enough for the Elgen to be taken to my local valveman for the 15ohm output to be changed to a 4ohm by retapping the big Partridge OT.
I'll retain the 8ohm out for its original cab.
Wait out for further newsage.

Edited by Jazzneck

Further newsage....
The amp has come home tapped at 4 ohms.
Through the Retro210 it is bl88dy immense using my Limelight P.
Couldn't get past 1/4 volume in the house (it hurt).
Next gig the Elgen is coming with me for "experimental purposes".
I have a feeling that our drummist might complain. :P