Why become a member? ×

Bargain!

Bass_Guardian

I bought a 32" scale Westone Concord on here for £85 and I reckon it must be worth at least double that :D

Seriously, it is a very, very good bass for the money. Sounds awesome and the neck is very nice to play with a decent tiger stripe figuring to boot.

My red Gus G3 5-string bass.

An originally pricey instrument that had been heavily abused by its previous owner, and therefore only attracted one bid other than mine on eBay. After sending it back to Simon at Gus and paying for a complete overhaul - strip back to the primer and refinish in CAR, re-chroming and re-profiling of the horns, replacement of all the missing parts, and a fret-dress; I ended up with what was essentially a brand new instrument for roughly a third of what an actual new one would have cost...

An RKS A Bass with hard case for £260. I realise that these basses....divide....opinion, but I absolutely love it and the fact that I don't bump into one at
every jam night is a plus. And for the workmanship, materials, desigh integrity and playability, I think it's a massive bargain.

I chalk this one up against the Wal Custom I let go for £275 some years ago......

1980s Ibanez SD9 Sonic Distortion pedal (sister to TS9) - £4 from Brixton Exchange (or something). They originally wanted £10 for it, then I watched the sales eejit connect it to a power supply with the wrong polarity. Unsurprisingly it didn't work, so they £5 as spares/repair. I had £4 cash or my credit card, so they took the cash.

That pedal has served me well for 20 years.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1436794191' post='2820781']
1980s Ibanez SD9 Sonic Distortion pedal (sister to TS9) - £4 from Brixton Exchange (or something). They originally wanted £10 for it, then I watched the sales eejit connect it to a power supply with the wrong polarity. Unsurprisingly it didn't work, so they £5 as spares/repair. I had £4 cash or my credit card, so they took the cash.

That pedal has served me well for 20 years.
[/quote]

Haha brilliant! What a diddy

Was given a messed up Westone Concord after working on somebody's house.Still a bargain after the TLC needed.

[attachment=196215:Concord.JPG][attachment=196216:Westone-Concord.jpg]

Doesn't make up for the Wal though. Sold 25 year back,£250 and a beat up SG :unsure: JG model,leather scratchplate,one of 46 or 47.
Value ? best not to think about it :D

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1436796276' post='2820809']
Was given a messed up Westone Concord after working on somebody's house.Still a bargain after the TLC needed.

[attachment=196215:Concord.JPG][attachment=196216:Westone-Concord.jpg]

Doesn't make up for the Wal though. Sold 25 year back,£250 and a beat up SG :unsure: JG model,leather scratchplate,one of 46 or 47.
Value ? best not to think about it :D
[/quote]

Always had a soft spot for Westones. Never tried one but there's something appealing to me. Them and Aria's.

Must be gutting selling such expensive instruments in today's market for buttons back in the day :(

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1436796851' post='2820819']
A few years ago i bought a brand new Musicman Stingray5 online (in a UK store) for 1400€ (with shipping included), at that time stores in Portugal had a price tag on them of about 2300€!!!
[/quote]

Ooft that's some difference! Could have a market here. You buy in your stock from the UK for half the price then sell it on at Portuguese prices :D You can thank me later B)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1436797050' post='2820822']
Ooft that's some difference! Could have a market here. You buy in your stock from the UK for half the price then sell it on at Portuguese prices :D You can thank me later B)
[/quote]

Naaa, i don't do that. I sold that bass the next year for the same price i got it for. My profit was a year of free SR5 ownership ;)

My 1995 MIA Precision bass cost me £460 secondhand 10 years ago.

It had been hanging in the shop for ages with really dead strings on, attracting nobody's attention whatsoever. So they agreed to knock £100 off the £550 asking price, but then added the tenner on to cover the new strings they put on for me to try it.

It sounded great and has been my main bass ever since. Result!

[color=#222222]Seen an advert in the local rag for a “AC30, 60’s in need of repair, not for beginners: 350 GBP”. So I thought I’d give the guy a call to see what he meant by not for beginners. Anyway the guy only stays a couple miles up the road. So I ask if I can come round to see the amp and bring my guitar to try it out. I was pretty broke at the time, but thought I might manage a deal. Got round there to find this 61 tan AC30. It was scruffy to say the least. Mojo I think it would be called on here. I plugged in and started playing. It was great. I asked why he was selling it and was told that he now had a Yamaha amp simulator which gave him the sounds he needed. WTF! I told him he had a great amp I was really hoping to have haggled but hearing it couldn’t start to imagine he would drop the price. Well he said he would and to offer something. I didn’t know where to start. I asked how he knew it was a 61 and he produced a brand new VOX story type book and pointed one out like it in there. Also what speakers etc were fitted at that time. Once again I said he should keep it and he would get the price. Meanwhile I was picking away enjoying the sound. I hear him saying 275, nope you should keep it, how about 250, nope again I really didn’t want to take it off him for such a low price, 200, 175, 150 all went by in conversation. I finally heard 125 and I’ll throw in the 35quid book. I couldn’t believe it. I was totally unprepared for this. I asked if he would take the fiver I had in my pocket as deposit and he said yes. Went back the next day with the money and I’m still the proud owner of the AC30 and that was 10 years ago at least. I did get a call from a guy in Holland wanting to give me 1200 without seeing it. I said no.[/color]

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1436803233' post='2820916']
[color=#222222]Seen an advert in the local rag for a “AC30, 60’s in need of repair, not for beginners: 350 GBP”. So I thought I’d give the guy a call to see what he meant by not for beginners. Anyway the guy only stays a couple miles up the road. So I ask if I can come round to see the amp and bring my guitar to try it out. I was pretty broke at the time, but thought I might manage a deal. Got round there to find this 61 tan AC30. It was scruffy to say the least. Mojo I think it would be called on here. I plugged in and started playing. It was great. I asked why he was selling it and was told that he now had a Yamaha amp simulator which gave him the sounds he needed. WTF! I told him he had a great amp I was really hoping to have haggled but hearing it couldn’t start to imagine he would drop the price. Well he said he would and to offer something. I didn’t know where to start. I asked how he knew it was a 61 and he produced a brand new VOX story type book and pointed one out like it in there. Also what speakers etc were fitted at that time. Once again I said he should keep it and he would get the price. Meanwhile I was picking away enjoying the sound. I hear him saying 275, nope you should keep it, how about 250, nope again I really didn’t want to take it off him for such a low price, 200, 175, 150 all went by in conversation. I finally heard 125 and I’ll throw in the 35quid book. I couldn’t believe it. I was totally unprepared for this. I asked if he would take the fiver I had in my pocket as deposit and he said yes. Went back the next day with the money and I’m still the proud owner of the AC30 and that was 10 years ago at least. I did get a call from a guy in Holland wanting to give me 1200 without seeing it. I said no.[/color]
[/quote]

Ooft was it Trigger who sold you it?

I've had some great bargains, but a lot of them are to do with haggling that anything else. The main proper bargains include the Genz NX2 212T from GAK when they had a blowout sale, the Tecamp sale at GuitarGuitar (should have NEVER sold it) and my current lovely MIA Fender P when PMT (think it was them) had a huge Fender sale. It was pot luck but the bass arrived and is still one of the best P basses I've played. I don't see many bass sales at all now, but the prices of Sandbergs is due to drop due to the euro, or so I've heard! Guitarists always get the better bargains, and luckily I play some guitar and I've picked up some amazing guitars half price!

not in here but I won a japanese strat for 250 on ebay because the guy listed it to end at 3am. I just put a silly bid in and went to sleep. I've had a bunch of very reasonable deals on here. Sandberg california 5 string for 600, USA sub 5 for 350. etc.

Not a bass as such, but I did get a nearly brand new MIM Precision body (one from when Fender started selling replacement bodies and necks themselves) that had been copper taped very neatly, still in the Fender box for £50 from eBay. They were going for £180 ish at the time from memory. It is now part of my 71 replica.