Why become a member? ×

Bargain!

Bass_Guardian

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1436803233' post='2820916']
Seen an advert in the local rag for a “AC30, 60’s in need of repair, not for beginners: 350 GBP”. So I thought I’d give the guy a call to see what he meant by not for beginners. Anyway the guy only stays a couple miles up the road. So I ask if I can come round to see the amp and bring my guitar to try it out. I was pretty broke at the time, but thought I might manage a deal. Got round there to find this 61 tan AC30. It was scruffy to say the least. Mojo I think it would be called on here. I plugged in and started playing. It was great. I asked why he was selling it and was told that he now had a Yamaha amp simulator which gave him the sounds he needed. WTF! I told him he had a great amp I was really hoping to have haggled but hearing it couldn’t start to imagine he would drop the price. Well he said he would and to offer something. I didn’t know where to start. I asked how he knew it was a 61 and he produced a brand new VOX story type book and pointed one out like it in there. Also what speakers etc were fitted at that time. Once again I said he should keep it and he would get the price. Meanwhile I was picking away enjoying the sound. I hear him saying 275, nope you should keep it, how about 250, nope again I really didn’t want to take it off him for such a low price, 200, 175, 150 all went by in conversation. I finally heard 125 and I’ll throw in the 35quid book. I couldn’t believe it. I was totally unprepared for this. I asked if he would take the fiver I had in my pocket as deposit and he said yes. Went back the next day with the money and I’m still the proud owner of the AC30 and that was 10 years ago at least. I did get a call from a guy in Holland wanting to give me 1200 without seeing it. I said no.
[/quote]

Now THAT is a bargain!

Had a few bargains though maybe when I bought them the going price was not far off.

1964 Hofner violin bass £175 November 1988
1992 Rickenbacker 4003 £650 August 1998
2003 Musicman SUB £89.99 2012 I THINK.
2008 MIM/MIJ Fender Precision £150 2012

There have been loads of others but these stick out.

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1436995380' post='2822741']
Had a few bargains though maybe when I bought them the going price was not far off.

1964 Hofner violin bass £175 November 1988
1992 Rickenbacker 4003 £650 August 1998
2003 Musicman SUB £89.99 2012 I THINK.
2008 MIM/MIJ Fender Precision £150 2012

There have been loads of others but these stick out.
[/quote]

Those are outstanding :o Might have to employ you as a buyer for me.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1436951507' post='2822230']
My wife bought an Orla Kiely handbag (£350) in a charity shop for £3.
[/quote]

My wife loves Orla Kiely handbags/purses but doesn't like shopping in charity shops, I suspect this might make her change her mind. :D

Speaking of charidee shops, I had a Matsumoku-built Westbury Standard from a local one for £60. These are great-quality DiMarzio-equipped LP-eaters that often go for £200 - £300. Had it for 10+ years now, definitely a keeper. Until the right Yamaha SG comes along.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1437164380' post='2824201']
Speaking of charidee shops, I had a Matsumoku-built Westbury Standard from a local one for £60. These are great-quality DiMarzio-equipped LP-eaters that often go for £200 - £300. Had it for 10+ years now, definitely a keeper. Until the right Yamaha SG comes along.

J.
[/quote]

Right up your street :P

[quote name='speshul91' timestamp='1437181268' post='2824345']
My peavey international series 5 string for 179, only had a couple of scratches on a bright orange quilted maple (I think) veneer and matching breadsticks, only needed a re string and clean
[/quote]

I do like a Peavey :D

I got a 1978 Aria Primary Bass in a three guitar and amplifier job lot on Gumtree a few years ago. Spent about £30 getting it sorted out.

It's essentially a Matsukomo factory Precision bass. Plays nicely and to my ears sounds nice; to me that's all that matters!

Edited by NancyJohnson

I paid £190 for this on ebay. Ibanez Roadstar II P/J all original dates 1986, original posts and loom, plays and sounds like a dream

[url=https://flic.kr/p/sqWrap][/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/sqWrap]Ibanez 1[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/fcamardo_night_time_photography/]Francesco Camardo[/url], on Flickr

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1437408031' post='2825738']
I paid £190 for this on ebay. Ibanez Roadstar II P/J all original dates 1986, original posts and loom, plays and sounds like a dream

[url="https://flic.kr/p/sqWrap"][/url]

[url="https://flic.kr/p/sqWrap"]Ibanez 1[/url] by [url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/fcamardo_night_time_photography/"]Francesco Camardo[/url], on Flickr
[/quote]

That's beautiful! Nice one :)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1437410563' post='2825762']
That's beautiful! Nice one :)
[/quote]

Yes now that you see it like that it looks nice, you should have seen it when I received it, it looked like it had been fished out the bottom of a pond, the neck had layers of gunk and there was greenish mould all over the bridge and machine heads, I had to soak all the steel work in WD40, and use a toothbrush to remove the growth, and then totally cleaned the neck with wood cleaner, oil and wax, and finally lots of polish to get the body to shine again, the result after a day was rewarding.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1436776893' post='2820540']
Just got a 2004 USA Musicman SUB 5 string for £200. A Bargain by any stretch of the imagination.[attachment=196192:SUB5.jpg]
[/quote]

Wow, I thought was getting a bargain at three fiddy!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1437413226' post='2825792']

Yes now that you see it like that it looks nice, you should have seen it when I received it, it looked like it had been fished out the bottom of a pond, the neck had layers of gunk and there was greenish mould all over the bridge and machine heads, I had to soak all the steel work in WD40, and use a toothbrush to remove the growth, and then totally cleaned the neck with wood cleaner, oil and wax, and finally lots of polish to get the body to shine again, the result after a day was rewarding.
[/quote]

Well worth the effort GW! Great looking bass. Always fancied one myself!

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1437468267' post='2826157']
Wow, I thought was getting a bargain at three fiddy!
[/quote]

Yeah I definitely got lucky. Guy just wanted rid and it was grubby and poorly setup. Few hours and some new strings on it and it ended up sweet!

Around 2yrs ago i bought an Epiphone Rivoli (90's reissue) complete with Hardcase from Bass Gallery's website for £250 delivered. To this day i dont know if that was a typo or not but for what it was it was bloody cheap!

About 6 years ago I had an A-serial ('85/'86) MIJ Squier P for £30 off Scumtree, plus a nice strap & stand. It was very, very nice after a good cleaning & fettling, but I'm not much of a P user, so it just sat there.

Eventually sold it on here, for a few bob more than I paid... :ph34r:

J.