Why become a member? ×

Bargain!

Bass_Guardian

Well I`ve just go hold of a 2015 US Fender Precision, ex display model, from Germany - including shipping came to approx £900. So considering to all intents and purposes it`s brand new, Fender case and case-candy (and still had all the film on the tuners and scratchplate, tags attached) I`ve got it for £250 less than anywhere else is doing them.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1436727344' post='2820283']
Well I`ve just go hold of a 2015 US Fender Precision, ex display model, from Germany - including shipping came to approx £900. So considering to all intents and purposes it`s brand new, Fender case and case-candy (and still had all the film on the tuners and scratchplate, tags attached) I`ve got it for £250 less than anywhere else is doing them.
[/quote]

Ooft can't argue with that!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1436727344' post='2820283']
[/quote]

Oi Lozz, has it got a maple 'board? ;)

I bought a Vigier Passion 3 for £300 from a mate. The Bass Centre had offered him that despite he'd bought it there for £1600 new.

I straight swapped it for an Alembic Epic (didn't like that at all) and then straight swapped that for a Roscoe Beck V

I've had a few, I suppose! Most recently I swapped a bitsa 70s MIJ Jazz copy (which owed me about £40 and some elbow-grease) for a 1983 Aria SB Elite Black & Gold I. The Aria's had a hard life, and is in need of some tlc & some minor repairs - but considering the srp of the recent [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/aria-limited-edition-cliff-burton-signature-sb-black-and-gold-reproduction/99253"]Cliff Burton sig reissue[/url], I think I didn't do too bad...

Probably my no.1 bargain would have to be my £60 CSL Jazz - which I bought from a local pawn shop purely to flip for a few bob profit - until I played the thing. Simply the nicest Jazz - no, the nicest [i]bass[/i] - I have ever played, and the one I'd grab first if the house was on fire. It's been pimped mercilessly in the 10 or so years I've had it, so in its current form has cost a little bit more than 60 quid, but it's a complete joy. Will have to sort out decent pics of it - this doesn't do it justice:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:66973]

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1436744321' post='2820444']
I've had a few, I suppose! Most recently I swapped a bitsa 70s MIJ Jazz copy (which owed me about £40 and some elbow-grease) for a 1983 Aria SB Elite Black & Gold I. The Aria's had a hard life, and is in need of some tlc & some minor repairs - but considering the srp of the recent [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/aria-limited-edition-cliff-burton-signature-sb-black-and-gold-reproduction/99253"]Cliff Burton sig reissue[/url], I think I didn't do too bad...

Probably my no.1 bargain would have to be my £60 CSL Jazz - which I bought from a local pawn shop purely to flip for a few bob profit - until I played the thing. Simply the nicest Jazz - no, the nicest [i]bass[/i] - I have ever played, and the one I'd grab first if the house was on fire. It's been pimped mercilessly in the 10 or so years I've had it, so in its current form has cost a little bit more than 60 quid, but it's a complete joy. Will have to sort out decent pics of it - this doesn't do it justice:

Jon.
[/quote]

Ooft just shows u it's not all about price or brand. Congrats :)

Got a Wal for £550 about 13 years ago, just before they took a serious upswing in price. Wasn't a huge bargain at the time, but turned into one!

Same local shop (which never has ANYTHING bass related in) had a pretty minty, all original, white, maple boarded '76 Jazz at the same time and same price... Should have bought it too!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1436775667' post='2820526']
Got a Wal for £550 about 13 years ago, just before they took a serious upswing in price. Wasn't a huge bargain at the time, but turned into one!

Same local shop (which never has ANYTHING bass related in) had a pretty minty, all original, white, maple boarded '76 Jazz at the same time and same price... Should have bought it too!
[/quote]

Goodness me! :o how much is the Wal worth now roughly? I'm assuming a 4 figure sum?

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1436775824' post='2820527']

Goodness me! :o how much is the Wal worth now roughly? I'm assuming a 4 figure sum?
[/quote]

Sold it for £1450 about 8 years ago. Guy kept it for 2 weeks then sold it on eBay to some punter in the states for another 400 on top of that. Probably about 2 grands worth now at least. Was in bad nick when I got it, and not the most desirable top wood (padouk with sap wood), but sounded great! Miss it sometimes... Always on the lookout for serial number 2062!

I don't tend to pick up real silly bargains but my best effort was the 2003 US S1 jazz I picked up around 2005 or 2006. Apparently it had been up on eBay, the deal had fallen through so the owner had relisted it on a very short bidding window. I won it for under £400 and it included an SKB moulded hard case. The bass had barely been played, a few faint scuffs on the scratchplate and the seller had left the original receipt in the case - paid over £800 for it (Denmark St). Never met the seller, the pickup address turned out to be a hairdressing salon in Northampton. Handed the cash over to whoever was holding it in the shop and off I went, still have it (it's my avatar too).