Why become a member? ×

Notation For music illiterate

Damonjames

Hi guys n gals, just a question regarding notation, I can't read (yet, it's doe things hope to master one day) but wondered if there was a general way of notation, besides tab.
I just need a simple method that can be easily read on a poorly lit stage that could show the chord progression and rhythm in a quick and easy way? I know I'm asking a lot!
I just remember reading that rob Trujillo has a version of notation that is similar to Pino Palladino's but neither of which I can find.
Any advice appreciated!

Thanks for the responses guys!!! Yes, I understand basic rhythm notation, but I was more interested to see if anyone else had a method that had worked well for them. The chord chart is probably closest to what I need though. I want to start depping, so will need a book full of songs I can call on at short notice, and want to keep it as simple as possible, then just add in specific lines where needed to jog my memory.

I would just use a chord chart then, and write above the chords the rhythm that you have to play, or maybe just learn any line ?

Something like this maybe, where they've written the rhythm across the top ? [attachment=196293:Photo on 14-07-2015 at 13.52.jpg]

I dep for a couple of jazz bands, and just use chords charts with the odd written head.

When I was depping for bands a few years ago it was maybe 50/50 whether it was a reading gig or not. If there was no reading involved then I just used chord charts that I made up myself (just make sure beforehand about the key, software like Sibelius is great for chord charts, they look tidy and it's simples to change the key), or for songs with specific lines that I didn't know I made proper notation charts.

A friend of mine has all his on his iPad, it's so simple to use. He just hooks it up to his laptop and transfers across the set.

The question from the OP is only partially addressed, it seems. I've yet to see a decent system that gives the rhythmic information better than the classic standard notation. It's not that hard to learn, at least for the basic rhythms. That, and chord charts (in Nashville or Roman notation, or explicit key...) gives a quick and easy way of jogging one's memory; a specific lick or riff would be best in standard notation on leger lines. It's not that difficult, especially for monophonic bass lines. Keys players (and drummers..!) have a bit more to cope with; bass is the easy instrument, really. I wouldn't bother trying to re-invent the wheel; it's easier to use what's already available, imo.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1436959464' post='2822306']
In the words of Anthony Wellington: represent this question as if you were talking about the English language.

"If you're wanting to learn English, is learning to read a bad idea?"
[/quote]

Haha, the thought did occur lol. I have done some sight reading in the past, and I don't enjoy it, I feel like the music comes off the page and out of the amp, with no input from me (if that makes sense). Learning to read proficiently is something I want to do, but right now my biggest weekness is just jamming and improvising bass lines, so I wanted a system that was easy to read at a glance to get the feel for the song, and kind of just jam/improvise from there if that makes sense?

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1436966404' post='2822396'] Haha, the thought did occur lol. I have done some sight reading in the past, and I don't enjoy it, I feel like the music comes off the page and out of the amp, with no input from me [/quote]

There is a kind of pseudo- myth about reading that suggests that the reader has to be able to turn the ink into magic in an instant. Whilst there are some session ninjas who can do this to a greater or lesser extent, it is more often the case that charts are well rehearsed before there are any public performances or recordings. Good readers can make the rehearsal process quicker but a lot of the greatest performances are by people who use the dots to learn the tune but internalise the music for live performance/recording. My own experiences suggest that, for something like a show, about six run throughs are enough to go from 'reading it out' to performing it properly. Orchestras tend to have a relationship with most of their material that allows them to 'revisit' the charts in a daytime rehearsal before a performance rather than play it cold on the night. My point is that learning to read is not just about knocking out a laser accurate performance at the first run through, it is about accelerating the time it takes to get from arrival to professional performance, about communicating ideas to those who are unfamiliar and about capturing ideas for later recall (this last one is what I use it for most).

The short cut you are looking for is essentially chord charts with a couple of bars of written parts to indicate a feel which is then followed by a 'simile' instruction i.e. carry on in this vein and then the odd bar of written stabs. These are certainly the most common form of chart used by Jazz musicians..

I'm going to steal Bilbo's lines now, and it's his fault. :D

Himself and a couple of other stalwarts on here have always banged on about learning to read, and eventually I cracked and went 'oh alright then.' But I wasn't convinced that a) I could ever do it, and b. it would be much use to me. Wrong.

In spite of a weird sort of notation dyslexia and nearly losing my mind, I'm pretty well getting there, although I did have to spend a year doing not much else.

[i]However, [/i]the payoff has been massive and unexpected. Not only do I get to play lines by transcriptions of my heroes (or try to), but I've learned to play never looking at the fingerboard. Now that last part I didn't expect, and I've not heard anybody mention it as a payoff. On double bass that is a tremendous benefit, but on guitar too.

So there y'are. Give it a go, I say. And thanks to all on here who nagged me into it. :D

Edited by fatback