Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic RS210 vs. K210 Cabs

lowregisterhead

Anyone tried the new K cabs up against the RS?

I'm looking for a compact but loud combination to go with my TC BH800 (currently using an EBS Proline 410, like the body and brightness, hate the weight).

It's been suggested I try a RS210 with a RS112, or two RS210s. But the new K210 looks good too.

Anybody compared them?

Ta.

• 2 months later...

Hi Lowregisterhead,
I tried the BH550 and the K210 recently and they sounded great, very full bodied but with a nice mid and top. The K210 is cheaper than the RS210 (which I had) but has a higher power rating so should be ok on smaller gigs. My BH800 K210 rig arrives this week, so I will report back once I have it. I did have an RH750 but the low end which is rolled off frustrated me a bit with my 5 string, the BH550 I tried sounded great with my Overwater J5. I compared the BH with the Aguilar Tonehammer 500 and Sans Amp 500 and found it to be slightly less coloured and more 'modern' sounding than the other two, although it was a close thing between it and the Aguilar. The tone prints are great and save me taking loads of pedals and stuff out!
I will let you know how I get on with the K210 soon.

All the best,

Phil.

Hi [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lowregisterhead,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] I was wrong, the power rating is the same at 400 watts for the K210 and RS210.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]All the best,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Phil.[/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='PhilAllGaps1' timestamp='1443976717' post='2879138']
Hi [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lowregisterhead,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] I was wrong, the power rating is the same at 400 watts for the K210 and RS210.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]All the best,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Phil.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Thanks Phil - I may well get hold of a K210 (or maybe 2!) in the near future. Incidently, I won't blow our cover online, but we do know each other in real life.... :)

[quote name='nightsun' timestamp='1444983537' post='2887787']
I have the BH800 going through a RS210 & RS212.....monster sound. Great low end, but nice and zingy when I need it.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, nightsun - I should have mentioned that in the intervening period I tried out a RS210 and RS212, and they were amazingly powerful, but the sound didn't really float my boat. They just seemed to lack a bit of presence, but as I'm used to the ridiculously glassy top end you get from EBS cabs, perhaps my expectations were slightly skewed! I'll definitely be having a look at the K series though...

I've got the BH800 and have a Gig tonight with Jo Harman which is an Acoustic Show and Boaters in Kingston on Sunday with Jacqui Hicks, Simon Carter and Frosty Beedle which will loud! I have run the BH800 and K210 up in the house and it sounds very nice and accurate. I will report back later on my findings...

• 1 month later...

Are there any more opinions on this? I'm pretty much decided on either range (2 x 210, 210 + 212 or 210 + 112) to go with my newly acquired Eden WTX500 head (thanks to Bassbunny). Haven't been able to compare like-for-like, but definitely preferred the K212 over the RS210. Generally prefer 210s and would like to try the K210. K series in general looks well built and high spec for the money. Where's the compromise? There also seem to be a few RS cabs appearing in the Marketplace here. Any particular (sinister) reason that anyone knows of? I'm not bothered about looks, incidentally.

Cheers,

Tobie

Edited by tobiewharton

Hi Tobie,

Can't really comment on everything you're after, but this may help;

I've got a TC rs212 up for sale, nothing sinister, works great, just that my band's folded and I don't foresee any gigs any time soon. As such, and with Christmas on its way, I'm selling some gear that I can always buy back later(although at a loss, so not the best economics).

A friend of mine recently swapped an rs210 with an rs212 and was impressed with the change, more lows and volume. RS cabs are great for dispersion as all the speakers are aligned vertically, and the tweeter is even housed in the top woofer! Great cabs, sound good to me, in my opinion better than the others at the price range.

• 5 months later...

Hi, wondered if anyone on this thread can help me out? I've recently upgraded my head to a Markbass little Mark tube ( 500w @ 4 ohm ) and now fancy upgrading my Ashdown ABM 410 to something more modern and lightweight. I tried out the Markbass 210 and it was lovely boy someone just round the corner from me is selling 2 of the TC Electronic k210 cabs for really a very good price so I'm certainly considering it. So my question is this;
As there is only the 1 speakon connector on the back of my head, if I daisy chain the cabs in series, head to cab and then cab to head ( have I got that right? ) then would these cabs that have a power rating of 400w at 8ohms each become a power rating of 800w at 4ohm? The whole thing confuses me to be honest.
I'm also looking at these from the point of view that I could maybe use just the one cab for a small rehearsal or jam so would only have the 400w @ 8ohm. With a 500w 4ohm head, I guess I'd have to be very careful with the output from the amp?
Thanks all, keep it low!

[quote name='thelowend77' timestamp='1465581233' post='3069475']
Hi, wondered if anyone on this thread can help me out? I've recently upgraded my head to a Markbass little Mark tube ( 500w @ 4 ohm ) and now fancy upgrading my Ashdown ABM 410 to something more modern and lightweight. I tried out the Markbass 210 and it was lovely boy someone just round the corner from me is selling 2 of the TC Electronic k210 cabs for really a very good price so I'm certainly considering it. So my question is this;
As there is only the 1 speakon connector on the back of my head, if I daisy chain the cabs in series, head to cab and then cab to head ( have I got that right? ) then would these cabs that have a power rating of 400w at 8ohms each become a power rating of 800w at 4ohm? The whole thing confuses me to be honest.
I'm also looking at these from the point of view that I could maybe use just the one cab for a small rehearsal or jam so would only have the 400w @ 8ohm. With a 500w 4ohm head, I guess I'd have to be very careful with the output from the amp?
Thanks all, keep it low!
[/quote]

If you daisy chain two 8 ohm cabs, the parallel connection will result in a 4 ohm load. If your amp had 2 parallel speakon outputs, it would still amount to the same thing regardless of which way you connect them. As far as I am aware, you can add the power ratings of the cabs together, so 2 x 400W = 800W. As long as you don't go below the minimum load on your amp (4 ohms) and run it sensibly, you shouldn't have a problem. In my experience, the potential for damage to the cabs has got more to do with how you run them, rather than the maximum output of the amp itself - in other words if you're stupidly loud and heavily EQ'd you can blow a speaker or horn with a 500W or a 1000W head. You could do damage more effortlessly with a 1000W, granted, but don't assume that because the figures all match up that you can go up to 11 with impunity!

I run a GK MB Fusion 800W head into 2 x EBS Proline 210's, but with a custom-made series connection, as the cabs are 4 ohms each and the amp's minimum load is 4 ohms, so in series the amp is running into an 8 ohm load. If I used the standard parallel connections, the load would be 2 ohms, too low for the amp. The higher 8 ohm load limits the amp's output, but there's still plenty of headroom so I get loads of power and volume, but I still take it easy - there are limitations! I tried a pair of the TC K210's, and although they were definitely lighter, they weren't as tonally robust, and started to break up at a lower volume than the EBS cabs.

As soon as you go down the lightweight route, there's always going to be something of a trade-off. I've used TC cabs, Markbass cabs, EBS Neo cabs, and even experimented with reloading standard cabs with Neo drivers to save weight, but they just don't shift as much air, and to my ears the sound lacks 'heft', for want of a better word.

That's not to say a lightweight setup wouldn't suit your purposes, but proceed with caution!