Why become a member? ×

Synthetic strings for EUB

gypsyjazzer

My third-hand Harley Benton came to me with steel strings (decent quality, I think, definitely not the stock ones) but I swapped the G for an Innovation Honey, as an experiment. It sounds good to my unqualified ears, certainly more gut-like than the steel. It can't claim that it sounds radically different, but then my EUB is very much at the cheap and cheerful end of the market - and my playing equally basic - so a better instrument and player might deliver a bigger contrast.

I think I have read on this forum that synthetic strings are good for pizz, and some are clearly designed for slap, but some are not so good for arco. So it might depend on what you want to play.

Ordering a single string seems like a good way of experimenting, given the cost of a full set of strings.

I much prefer synthetic strings to steels on my EUB, I find that the naturally brighter sound and increased sustain of EUBs are tempered by synthetic strings.

I've used Velvets and Innovations and liked them both for different styles. My EUB is currently wearing Innovation Honeys, but think I preferred Super Silvers.

I used Innovation Rockabillys for ages on my Clifton - helped make a softer acoustic type sound. I'm using Spiros now, so it plays more like my acoustic bass...but the sound is more "string" and less bass. One day I'll put Evah P's on, as I think they are the best compromise string I've found.

I use the Innovation Silver Slaps currently. I wouldn't say that they are a 'softer' sound but they suit my requirements. TBH, I only play through an amp so acoustically I'm not bothered what they sound like, although they are not unpleasant, they can be a bit 'clanky'. I have limited experience with gut strings but I find that they are, generally, a lot higher tension than the synthetic 'gut-a-like' strings and are quite pleasant to play. I enjoyed playing Andy(onehandloose)'s bass strung with guts at the bash last year. Did you try his bass? I know you had a quick go on mine, which was on Silver Slaps. Maybe too long ago to remember any comparisons though

Hi invicta

Many thanks for your reply. Yes--the Risley bass 'do' was great last year--highly recommended if on this year --nice to hear the basses with all the different set-up's and to meet you all--a lot to take in. Will be trying 'Innovation' on my EUB. Have tried them on my acoustic basses and liked them. Just wondered how they would react on an EUB.