Why become a member? ×

Intonation

wishface

I cannot set the intonation on my low E (4 string) at all. NO matter how far back i push the saddle it remains sharp when i fret the 12th string compared to the open.

It's been like this with several different strings as well, so it's not because of this one string. I changed them a couple of weeks ago.

Normally this is due to a duff string, but if you have tried several all with the same result here are some things to consider:

1. Have you ever been able to intonate the E string correctly?

2. What bass is it and what bridge is fitted - some bridges simply don't have enough travel on the saddles.

3. Were at least 2 of the E strings you tried new? As old strings get worn they become less easy to intonate.

4. How high is your action? The main purpose of moving the saddles is to compensate for the stretching of the string when it is fretted. Very high action requires the saddles to be moved further back. High action and a bridge with limited travel for the saddles do not go together.

just a personnel opinion of course, but perfect intonation isn't the be all and end all in a bass, you're playing single notes and not many people will be able to tell if it's a bit out, otherwise how would fretless playing still work? even the the best fretless player in the world is not going to be spot on everytime, Guitars are different because you're playing chords and it soon becomes obvious if the intonation's not right. Or then again, perhaps I'm tone deaf