Why become a member? ×

New preamp? Try not to laugh

Owen

Stream of consciousness early morning musing alert!

I need wondering about a new preamp for Double Bass and bass guitar. for my own use. I have a J retro on a Jazz plate mounted in a metal box that does the EQ nicely. I would need enough clean gain for it to drive a power amp properly so guess that would need an extra stage of grunt. Output on DI level XLR + balanced jack to drive power amp. I would also like to incorporate a second channel using an fdeck HPf (which I also have) into it so that my piezo pickup on my DB gets buffered properly. It would be cool to have a passive roll off for the fdeck. I have never really had a need for EQ on my DB once the fdeck is on board, but I guess it would be nice to be able to patch into the J retro should the need arise. I am wondering about an FX loop running in parallel(?) with a vol control so that I can blend in fx/clean on a volume pedal depending on what the song needs. Also a normal FX loop. I understand that this would not be a thing of beauty but it would do what I want and simplify my set up. An overall mute with LED also please. I am umming and ahing about rack mounting or stomp box. If I went stomp box I would not need a breakout box for switching and ting. Is this doable by someone who actually knows that they are doing (I was thinking http://4114customeffects.co.uk/)

Or I could get a Tech 21 VT deluxe which would seem to do a lot of this and is also programmable, but is rumoured to be a bit noisy. I cannot be doing with hiss. Are they mod-able to get a better signal to noise ratio?

That made my brain hurt. I've never had noise issues with any Sansamp stuff, and find it very reliable and musical (as long as you don't use extreme eq..and have the magic blend knob). The VT Deluxe has no Blend? Look at the Fender amp version as well.

One thing that does it all for me - Alembic F2B into a good passive DI. Ok, that's two things really...but look out for one. And an SWR Interstellar Overdrive thing. That would make you happy.

Check out the Radial BassBone products that cater for both electric and acoustic basses. Very good and seem to cover all the areas you are 'tweaking' in a one box solution.