Why become a member? ×

Joyo Clip-On Headstock Tuner

discreet

[b][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Joyo Clip-On Headstock Tuner[/font][/size][/b][list]
[*][size=4][color=#111111]DIGITAL MINI CLIP ON CHROMATIC TUNER - By JOYO Technologies[/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#111111]Brand New JOYO Digital Mini Clip on Chromatic Tuner with 360 Degrees swivel design for Guitar, Bass, violin, mandolin, ukulele, banjo etc. Perfect for left or right handed instruments.[/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#111111]Fits behind the headstock, keeping it hidden from your audience. Chromatic - works on almost any musical instrument - Vibration sensing - works even under noisy surroundings[/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#111111]Dimension: Length - 28mm, Width - 41mm, Height - 45mm - Power: 1 CR2032 button cell 3V - Supplied[/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#111111]Tuning range: A0(27.5Hz) - C8(4186.01Hz) - Auto shut down if the tuner receives no vibration signal (produced by an instrument) within several minutes[/color][/size]
[/list]
[color=#111111][/color]
[color=#111111]Looks much like the familiar D'Addario/Planet Waves NS Micro Headstock Tuner, but is simpler, having only one button - pressing it repeatedly changes the '440' setting (A) within set parameters and holding it down for a second or two switches the unit on and off. Like the NS, this tuner picks up vibrations from the headstock and is very accurate.[/color]

[color=#111111]The clip has rubber inserts which protects your headstock and makes the fit very secure, a distinct advantage over some models that can be a bit loose on certain headstocks. [/color][color=#111111]Another feature I like is the display, which is large, bright and very easy to use, showing white when you're not quite in tune and a very unambiguous bright green when you are.[/color]

[color=#111111]The unit comes in a small box which fits through your letterbox and has the battery separate so you need to fit it before use. This is a good thing as the last NS tuner I bought had the battery fitted and the unit was mounted on a card which allowed the buttons to be pressed accidentally in transit - thus was the battery flat on delivery. In all this is a good buy for £9 delivered from Amazon and a more affordable alternative to the competition. At this price you could have one for each of your many, many basses... ;)[/color]

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Y4ZFA8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00"]http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o00_s00[/url]

Edited by discreet

the single button would put me off TBH, I've got a clip on tuner at the moment that has the same button for on/off and pitch change, I find I'm constantly changing the pitch rather than turning it off, and it takes loads of presses of the button to put it back to 440Hz, drives me nuts so it's relegated to backup use, my Snark clip on tuner is far less annoying to use (although I might pick up a polytune clip on as well)

Matt

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1437052223' post='2823165']
Does it work on a low B?
[/quote]

I don't know, I don't have a 5-string any more. :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1437058885' post='2823271']
Does it have a feature whereby pressing the wrong button puts it in a utterly unusable strobe disco mode like my new TC one?
[/quote]

No. :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1437055327' post='2823223']
Hope wife doesn't spot Joyo clip on in my search history :D
[/quote]

You probably already have 'G-String' in there several times...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1437058885' post='2823271']
Does it have a feature whereby pressing the wrong button puts it in a utterly unusable strobe disco mode like my new TC one?
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437061037' post='2823297']
No. :)
[/quote]

pfft.... without that frankly what's the point...

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1437069194' post='2823374']
So Mark what is best this or the D'addario one?
[/quote]

The Joyo is a no-frills budget option that does the job, and the D'addario is a little bit more expensive, has more features - and, er... does the job.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437079189' post='2823495']
The Joyo is a no-frills budget option that does the job, and the D'addario is a little bit more expensive, has more features - and, er... does the job.
[/quote] You sounded like a politician there lol just bought a Joyo cant really go wrong at that price :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mine works fine on my acoustic guitar but on the bass it often randomly decides not to give a reading. Haven't had time yet to establish whether there's any pattern behind the randomness, as it were. But, apart from the fact that it doesn't work (on the bass), I like it! Must say, apart from the trusty plug-in unit with selectable bass mode that I've had for years, my experience of tuner reliability on basses has not been good (needles needles jumping around all over the place etc).

Having used the Joyo on several different basses, it has come to my attention that placement is very important and you need to spend a little time finding the best position for it on the headstock if it's to work properly.

Obviously quite by chance I hit the spot first time out of the box. So a lesson learned - live with gear for a little while before recommending it! However I do still recommend the Joyo, with the above proviso. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438539467' post='2835315']
Having used the Joyo on several different basses, it has come to my attention that placement is very important
[/quote]

I've been clipping my new tc one to one of the preamp knobs... Works great and is much easier to see there than on the headstock.