Why become a member? ×

Which cab configuration????

hitchy64

Hi all,
After five years of gigging with an Orange Terror bass 500 and a Peavey 4x10 cab I decided I needed a change. Got bored and fed up with breaking my back hauling that heavy cab around. So I cobbled together 2 12"speakers into a cab and sounds great. Now I'm using a Markbass LM II and all was well, but the old celestions are starting to sound not so good, like they're torn or something.
So I'm thinking of a MB cab, but can't decide weather to buy a 2x10 or 2x12. There is nowhere around here that stocks MB gear to try so might have to just buy off the internet and suck it and see.
So, I play in a pretty loud rock band and need something to cut through, so maybe a Traveler 2x10 or Newyork 2x12.
So I know you guys know your stuff, any advice would be helpful.
Cheers.

Modern 212's are the new 410's.

The only 112 I'd use on a band gig would be a Barefaced SC or BB2 so if you get anything else I'd always double them up.

There are 2 AE112's in the classifieds at the moment. I used 2 of these cabs for about 5 years and they just have the best sound.

The Markbass 212s are very nice - I had one of the discontinued ones, can`t remember the model number, but it was plenty for regular sized venues. Also on very big stages it had enough presence without needing monitor-mix for bass. And it was light and quite portable too.

Loud gig, 212 over 210. 2x112 is better as modular, but the expensive way to go about it.

Best buys recently, IMO the 2 Baers and the 2 Bergs but still looking at in excess of £700 the pr.
That brings a LOT of 212 into the frame as should be well under that... Second hand, of course, but
might be on casters...but tip the scales at 60lbs approx. NEO will bring that weight down a bit.

Throw this into the hat... check out the TKS cab in the F/S..?

I took my cab to my local music shop today to get it checked out.
Also did a lot of brousing on the internet. New top of the range drivers are quite expensive if I decide to upgrade the cab. I don't think it's worth doing, as the cab is an old battered guitar cab.
I looked at all 212 cabs too, the price difference is amazing, am very interested in the TKS S212 and Markbass NY 212. If I can get more mileage out of what I've got, fine, if not I'm gonna treat myself to one of the above.
I'll keep an eye out for second hand too.

No point changing the drivers in your existing cab unless you somehow manage to find drivers with exactly the right q, fs, Xmax etc etc to suit the dimensions of your cab. As it's an old guitar cab you may find it difficult to match bass drivers.
I use 2 bfm simplex 1x12s I built myself. They wipe the floor with the two Aguilar 12s I used to use. Not cheap with the kappalite 3012hos but they sound killer.

Got my cab back yesterday and the guy couldn't replicate the problem I was having. Plays fine now, so don't know what was going on. Low frequencies and the cabinet resonating causing the horrible sound ( not my playing) lol. It's not something I understand really. This homemade cab will do for now but still on the look out for a proper 212.

If your budget allows, you wont be disappointed with a Barefaced cab.

Alex is very helpful and will discuss personally with you which of his cabs would suit your style best.

They're also the only manufacturer I know who give a month long trial after you get the cab(s), so you can actually trial them on gigs. If you don't like them you can send them back and get a refund (minus your deposit)

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1438270586' post='2833115']If you don't like them you can send them back and get a refund (minus your deposit)[/quote]

Refund minus the return shipping fee (£30 or £40) not the whole £100 deposit! Thankfully not many come back. :)

P.S. No trial period for customers outside Europe because the shipping costs get a bit silly...

The EU distance selling regulations give you a "cooling off" period of 14 days as a legal right. There seem to be quite a few music retailers giving you longer than that, should you need it. Thomann give you 30 days and gear4music between 30 and 90 days. I don't think anyone charges £30 or £40 return shipping.

[quote name='hitchy64' timestamp='1437162103' post='2824183']
I'll keep an eye out for second hand too.
[/quote]

Using the Basschat for sale section is a good idea, as others have said. If you buy new and have to re-sell, it can be quite expensive.