Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Humbuckers?

So basically I want to modify my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass and want to change the pickups to sound very close to a musicman, with that nice growl and top end. I don't know too much about pickups so I was just wondering how possible this is without having to fit a new preamp or do anything to extensive?

Any information would be massively appreciated

Mike

simply changing the pickup will not be enough, as the Stingray sound the way it does largely because of the position of the pickup (and width etc).

So, it's time to bring out the router, like hubrad said above :)

Now, you could have a Stingray MM pickup installed... it won't be at the right place exactly if you want to cover the existing route but it'll get a fatter growlier sound than you do now. If the goal is not so much to get a Stingray sound, but to get more growl and a fatter tone from the bridge pickup, I'd think of using a "double J" type pickup. They look like two Jazz pickups stuck together. It'll mean you can use the existing routing as is and all you have to do is create the top part of it, and it'll look neat.

I have a JJ in my Maruszczyk:

The JJ pickup, with the second coil towards the neck, sounds massive. It's got the bridge J vibe in terms of definition and midrange, but it's a lot fatter, and has tons of growl. That's what I'd try.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mikechapmanhill' timestamp='1437220184' post='2824504']
What is a router? Sorry I don't have much experience in changing pickups haha.

I think I would prefer to install a MM pickup if I'm honest, but wouldn't I need to make the bass active to get the same sort of tone?

Also that bass looks extremely tasty
[/quote]

:lol: a router is just a tool to carve the wood and make a neat (depending on your ability... I've also used a router to make a horrible mess once :P) pickup cavity.

I'm not sure you can cover the existing cavity with the MM pickup... let me check.

Bad news... it'll leave a gap at each end. If you put the MM pickup flush with the bottom ears, so that they're covered, the pickup is a bit narrower than the J pickup and it leaves a gap:

It's not huge, but it would bother me a bit. You could make a thin frame for the pickup too, which might look pretty cool and would cover the gap.

You don't need a preamp. The MM pickups are standard passive, and the Stingray sound exists even in passive mode (when placed in the correct spot, it'll sound different when you place it closer to the bridge, as in this case, but it will still sound good, just not very Stingray-like). I already experienced that when experimenting with OLP Stingray clones, but the final proof to convince disbelievers was my 2002 Stingray: I had the original 2EQ preamp replaced with one of John East's preamps. They are based on his own '76 Stingray preamp, but it adds a mids module with a sweepable centre frequency you can cut or boost... or leave flat which renders the preamp a copy of the classic 2EQ Stingray preamp. In addition, I asked him to install a preamp bypass switch. So I can bypass the preamp entirely and it's unmistakeable Stingray! You just cannot boost bass or whatever, so you're stuck in that one particular sound... but it's a great sound on its own.

The pickup in the pictures is a Seymour Duncan SMB4A. I bought it for a Cort GB74 I have (MM pickup on the bridge, J on the neck, so pretty much what you're after). It's a very powerful pickup (I've used it on OLPs before) and would be my first choice.

The Maruszczyk is a great bass. I got to specify the exact neck profile etc... it's a beast! BUt a good kind of beast :lol:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mikechapmanhill' timestamp='1437221045' post='2824510']
Also what is greate-ing?
[/quote]

ooops, typo, now corrected. I meant "create"... As in the original J route is only half the route for the double J... so you need to "create" the cavity for top half somehow.. with the router, with a chisel, dynamite... whatever you can use ;)