Why become a member? ×

Hello from noiseoptics

noiseoptics

Hello, Im Simon.

Ive been thinking about getting my first bass for a little while now. Music has always been my absolute favourite thing, but aside from a little bit of piano I've never learned to properly play an instrument or read music or any of that. For many years now I've been a VJ and motion graphics artist creating content for live events and bands and DJ's and so my live musical thirst has somewhat been quenched, but recently it just hasn't been enough!

So far 2015 has proven to be possibly my favourite year in music, and I had a bit of an epiphany this summer at Glastonbury and thought right! now is the time, I need to start making some noise of my own!

So, excuse me in advance for all the absolute Noob speak that Im sure will flow freely from me! Im keen to learn and looking currently to get hold of my first bass and begin the journey. Ive been talking with friends and colleagues and seem to have narrowed my ideal Bass choice to the Matt Freeman signature P which looks and sounds lovely and seems to provide a great base for future tweaking, though currently my dad has said since he doesn't use it I can have his beginners bass and Im excite to get hands on!

anyway thats enough rambling, always happy to chat music, design and much more. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone! I had my first lesson last week, and have ben practicing (read: struggling to get my little finger to go anywhere its supposed to) all week and loving it! On the subject of effects (an area I really want to explore having been a massive Death From Above 1979 fan for over a decade) Ive been hunting for a Zoom B3 as I understand aside from giving me a little flexibility with incorporating a laptop into a set up and offering a headphone jack it'll help me get a bit more FUZZ! Sadly missed out on a couple on ebay but I'm going to have a little look in the for sale section here to see if theres one I can give a new home.

If anyone has some favourite fun beginner basslines to learn Id love to hear them.