Why become a member? ×

If i wanted to get rid of my Schroeder 1212L for a 1x15.....

dave_bass5

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1437492783' post='2826509']
I absolutely love my TNT 15" combo. I wonder how much of the sound you love is coming from the speaker, and how much from the amp? Or are you plugging your own pre-amp into the effects return on the peavey?
[/quote]

It was all coming from the combo. I was going to try and use my F1 but in the end the tone i was hearing (with everything flat) was just perfect. Of course this was in a dead sounding rehearsal room. Back there tomorrow night with a 5 string, just to see what it can do.
I did try and lift it and, well, its not something i would consider buying. Its not un manageable but the days of me carrying something that heavy around is long gone (unless you count the bloody PA and guitar amps i still have to carry:)

Thanks Frank. Good point about the finances, although I'm happy to not compromise too much.

I must admit the idea of the retro two 10 is very appealing. If it can keep up with the band (and I'm sure it can) it seems perfect.
As my head puts out 500watts at 4 ohms it seems a perfect match, and I like the idea the impedance of the cab can be changed if I decide to add another.
Most of our gigs will be social clubs, the usual wooden stage bored audience kind of gigs. My head never struggles and I'd hope that would still be true with the new cab.

I've got a lot more research to do still, some very Interesting suggestions in here but the retro two 10 seems to appeal the most.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1437501490' post='2826638']
Dave, the G2 Compacts are a fantastic sounding cab, and LOUD. They sell these days for as little as £350 which is a bargain, and a saving of £200 + over a new G3. That's significant if you're keeping a tight budget.

Frank.
[/quote]

With apologies to Alex for possibly doing him out of a sale. A bit unthinking of me. Still, I should be buying a third BF cab myself soon. :D

Frank.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1437495878' post='2826555']
It was all coming from the combo. I was going to try and use my F1 but in the end the tone i was hearing (with everything flat) was just perfect. Of course this was in a dead sounding rehearsal room. Back there tomorrow night with a 5 string, just to see what it can do.
I did try and lift it and, well, its not something i would consider buying. Its not un manageable but the days of me carrying something that heavy around is long gone (unless you count the bloody PA and guitar amps i still have to carry:)
[/quote]

I personally think that the pre-amp makes more tonal difference than the power amp or the cab, therefore if you're trying to replicate that TNT sound, you probably need a similar pre-amp for starters. You never know, a different pre-amp in front of your current rig might give you the sound you want

No, i dont think thats the answer. Ive used a few different amps with my 1212L and ive never really got the tone i hopped for. The 1212L has its own tone and this is what im trying to get away from.
Ive used the head with other cabs at the studio recently and its more than capable of giving me the tone im after, even with different cabs.
Actually i'd say its more a tone im trying to get away from than actually knowing what im looking for if that makes sense. Most of the cabs ive used at the studio have been more traditional sounding, and thats more what i want these days.
Im taking my head tonight so hopefully i can hook that up.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1437483108' post='2826367']
From our range it sounds like you might be best served with a Retro Two10. It'll certainly be loud enough!
[/quote]

I can vouch for this.
It is unbelievable!
Volume is not an issue and i play in a 6 piece band where the guitarist uses a 400W valve Peavey head, linked to a 4 X 12 cab :lol:

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1437647837' post='2827786']
did you manage to try your head through the peavey cab?
[/quote]

Unfortunately the combo was in another room last night. I had to use a huge Marshall 2x15 cab with my MB head. Horrible experience :-(

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1437641763' post='2827722']
Thanks for the reply. Do you have PA support?
[/quote]

Nope. Never needed it.
I dont know what the technical term for it would be (possibly dispersion?), but when i first got the cab i tested it with a friend playing my bass through my set up.
I was amazed how clearly i could hear it, and so equally ( as in it sounded the same at every position in the room to my ears).
The volume is not an issue either, but that might be down to the amp used? I use a EBS TD650 and its never gone above 11 oclock on volume and 9 oclock on drive and gain.
If you ever come down my way your most welcome to come and have a go.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1437653506' post='2827872']
downer :( I've never tried mine with a different amp, (although I do tend to bypass the pre-amp these days) so I'm interested to see what you think
[/quote]

Me too. One thing i probably didnt mention was i was also using my Darkglass VMTD. Of course i use this with my MB heads as well but it was almost like all the planets were in alignment :-)

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1437656283' post='2827913']
Nope. Never needed it.
I dont know what the technical term for it would be (possibly dispersion?), but when i first got the cab i tested it with a friend playing my bass through my set up.
I was amazed how clearly i could hear it, and so equally ( as in it sounded the same at every position in the room to my ears).
The volume is not an issue either, but that might be down to the amp used? I use a EBS TD650 and its never gone above 11 oclock on volume and 9 oclock on drive and gain.
If you ever come down my way your most welcome to come and have a go.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. It does seem like the Retro is the way to go. I like the idea of the tone staying pretty much consistent. I know with my 1212L the on stage tone is very middy, but out front into the room it changes quite a bit. Both are good and work well together but at sound checks i dont tend to wonder too far from the centre of the dance floor. Knowing the tone will be quite close at the back without needing to go out and walk amongst the [s]unwashed[/s] social club members will be a god send.

Hmmm, very, very temped now.

Edited by dave_bass5

Thanks for all the tips and advice. In a moment of madness I have ordered a Barefaced Retro two 10.
I'm hoping this is the right thing to do. On paper it looks like the perfect cab. I've never needed to go above 11 on the master with my F1 and 1212L, I'm hoping this will still be the case with the BF, or at least close. I can appreciate the BF won't be as pokey but hoping it's going to give me the low end I've never really had.

I'll update the thread when I receive it, and I'll do a small gig report at the end of Sept after the first gig.

No pressure then :o

Hahaha. I'm not concrened. It's brilliant.
Will you be running it with the F1?
Im guessing you may have to EQ it a little differently to when being paired with your Schroeder.
But i think you will be impressed.
Are you getting a 4 Ohm cab?

Edited by FuNkShUi

Nah, im sure im going love it. It will be the first time ive used 10's but by all accounts ill have a more and defined low end and thats what im after.
Yes, i went for the 4ohm black grill version. My 1212L is also 4ohm.

I will be using my MB head but also my Darkglass VMTD which tend to handle the EQ. The F1 is normally run flat but i dont mind tweaking it. in the past ive never felt most of the EQ made much difference with this head. It will be nice not having to fight with the mids any more.

Im not sure how the retro/vintage description will translate to what i hear but considering im playing a P (or jazz) doing 70% 60's/70's covers im sure ill love it.

Yeh i use it with a bass with a P&J pickup config, playing motown/funk/soul and it works great for me.
You should do a review when it arrives.
I was going to, and got half way through. But i'm terrible at putting what i hear into words.
Felt it wouldnt be useful to anyone.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1438077127' post='2831353']
Yeh i use it with a bass with a P&J pickup config, playing motown/funk/soul and it works great for me.
I was going to, and got half way through. But i'm terrible at putting what i hear into words.
Felt it wouldnt be useful to anyone.[/quote]

It definitely would!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1438073548' post='2831311']
Dave, I've got plenty of cabs you can buy,
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer John but its too late. I should be getting my Retro two 10 tomorrow.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1438077127' post='2831353']
Felt it wouldnt be useful to anyone.
[/quote]

Im the same to be honest. Im rubbish at writing structured posts. I wont be able to use iti n a band context until late Aug, although ill spend plenty of time with it at work before then. Ill definitely post my thoughts though.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1438086441' post='2831490']
It definitely would!
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up about the cab Alex, and thanks for getting it out so quickly. Really looking forward to plugging it all in and letting rip in our basement at work.

Ive also decided my 1212L will go, no matter what (within reason). Its about time i moved on from this cab and the only way to do that is to abandon it.