Why become a member? ×

If i wanted to get rid of my Schroeder 1212L for a 1x15.....

dave_bass5

......What would be a good replacement?

Ive had the 1212L for a good few years and have no issues with it, but recently ive been using a Peavey 1x15 combo at rehearsal s and love the tone.
Im starting to think the "quirky" Schroeder tone might not be getting me the best tone from my basses.

Over the past few years ive tried other cabs, Mark bass (never again), Epifany UL212 (too soft sounding) and UL 115 (best cab ive ever owned but lacked volume) but always seem to go back to the 1212L. Ive never needed the amount of volume it can handle, but ive always felt safe knowing ill never run out of steam. The 2 UL cabs needed me to push my head too much for a couple of big gigs i did. I went back and did the same gigs with the 1212L and it was much easier with this cab. I apreciate the 1212L is very pokey though, but not a traditional sounding cab, and this is what im after now.

So, now id like a smallish, Neo type 1x15 (must be light weight, im not getting any younger or stronger) that has a nice low end and will match up with my Markbass F1 and P or Jazz bass. Something a bit more traditional sounding. I suppose it need to be rated at 400watts or so. I dont use FX's and dont slap, and im just playing wedding type covers. Price is a consideration, id say up to £400 would be perfect but the budget might be able to go a bit more for the right cab.

Ideas, thoughts appreciated. Two cabs is not an option, and my rig supplies all the bass at gigs so PA support is also not an option. Happy to go second hand if i have to. Ill keep the 1212L so i can afford to make a mistake although id rather not.

Cheers.

I`ve liked the Markbass amp/Barefaced cab combination when I`ve heard it, so maybe a Barefaced Compact? 2nd Gen ones of these are coming up on here quite frequently - there`s a couple available at the moment. Lightweight - tick, within budget - tick, nice low-end - tick.

Yes, a Barefaced cab has been on and of the cards for a few years. They do seem very expensive if new but I have seen one or two recently that have spiked my interest.

I'd like one of the smaller ones though as space is at a premium, but they just look so small that I'm not sure if I can believe very the description.

I think I've gone over this before in another thread, the Barefaced vs 1212L question, but now I'm ready to try something else. I'm trying my hardest to give up pick playing. I'm in a new band with a new sound so I think I might as well get a new sound as well. It's using this TNT combo that's really opened my eye, or ears, to what I'm missing.

Building something is not on the cards. I'm useless at all that, don't have the tools and don't have the time.

Mark. If I ever do get rid of the 1212L you have first refusal, but like you,say, this could drag on and on lol.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1437261350' post='2824755']
I'd like one of the smaller ones though as space is at a premium, but they just look so small that I'm not sure if I can believe the description.
[/quote]

Why not? You believe the 1212L can handle endless power (which it can) and it's tiny. :)

Edited by discreet

I changed from a 1212L to a Barefaced Compact about 5 -6 years ago and never looked back.

The Compact (G1/2) is as loud but much, much deeper than the 1212L.

They are both great cabs but I prefer the Compact over the 1212L for the warmer and deeper sound.

Frank.

That would be my thoughts on a Compact v most Schroeders - the Compact is a very warm traditional old-school sounding cab compared against the pronounced mid-spike in Schroeders. That mid-spike really helps being heard in the mix, but the Compact can generate more of that sound that you "feel" as well as hear. Or at least that`s my impressions having had both a Compact and two different Schros.

Thanks for the replies. It does sound like the BF Compact will do exactly what I'm after. I've just looked on their website and can just about afford the Super Compact.

I agree about the mid spike in the 1212L. It's nice to have for getting me out In to room but can be bloody annoying sometimes, and yes, definitely not a traditional low end.
My worry was purely based on an uneducated theory about how can one 12" speaker be as loud as 2. Ive also had very lightweight cabs and they have ended up jumping around the stage, because there is no heavy amp on top.
Ive never gone over 11 o'clock on the master so I know I'm never actually pushing my 1212L, but that mid spike certainly helps me keep the master down.
It seems like most off you have already gone through this transition though so I'll take it as read that the BF will work perfectly.
I know Alex really knows his stuff so I shouldn't really have worried.

I'll keep an eye out on the classifieds as well. It's not something I want to get now, we only have one gig booked, but if the new band does take off (and we have been promised work from the old bands ages to) then a BF compact or super compact is on the cards. I must admit they do tick every box.

Cheers all.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look on their website but i dont really want a cab with a horn and/or tweeter. I have the tweeter turned off in my 1212L.
I dont need to cut through much, i just need to fill out the low end but still keep definition.

The band im using it with is just guitar (18watt valve combo), drums, bass and vocals, with a 300watt (ish)vocal PA, so i wont have any issues cutting through, but im dont want to find i have to push my amp or cab at larger gigs.

Can i just ask those that have or have used the compact, can it get bright if needed? I dont mean sizzle, but for some songs like the Jam ones i do turn my DarkGlass VMTD Distortion up a bit, will this still be heard clearly or is the top end a bit more subdued? Ill be using my MarkBass F1 which doesnt have a very powerful EQ, although i dont find that an issue as i dont really touch it.

Im pretty set on the BF Super compact now, and ill probably do something stupid like order one before the weekend is out.

I`d doubt you`ll get that Jam-type sound from just the Markbass and Compact in all honesty. For that you need to be boosting frequencies between the 1200 - 4000 area, and Markbass upper-mids are at 1000 and highs 10,000 (and the Compacts frequency range is 4000 I believe). Adding in some form of pedal that does have these frequency ranges will do it though (I used a Tech21 VT DI with my Markbass set-up for this) so the Darkglass might be ok. Ultimately that`s why I stopped using Markbass though as the frequency range was wrong for what I`m currently doing, and I didn`t want loads of gear to set-up in 15min changeovers.

Thanks Lozz. I agree about the MB bit, the Eq does seem a bit limiting although i cant say i actually use it much. The MB/1212L combo just seem to work together well. I used to have a SA450 for the extra EQ options, but found i hardly ever touched that either.
Im not use what freq's the VMTD uses but it seems quite bright. Its not really a deal breaker if im honest. Most of our songs are 50-s 70's covers so most of the time i have to back off the tone a bit on my P bass. I just dont want to find the SC to sound muffled all the time. I like a bit of new sting zing sometimes.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1437300453' post='2824891']
Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look on their website but i dont really want a cab with a horn and/or tweeter. I have the tweeter turned off in my 1212L.
I dont need to cut through much, i just need to fill out the low end but still keep definition.[/quote]
You can have the option of disabling both. Your last sentence - that's what these cabs excel at. But I guess your mind is already made up...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1437416091' post='2825834']
I'd PM Wot or Walbass about their TKS 115 expereiences...
The S112 is definitely vintagey, IMO... not sure if that is a goal of the 115's tho..

There might even be a TKS 115 for sale...
[/quote]

Think theres a TKS 1156 on here if I recall correctly? 1x15 & 1x6 in one cab. Nice.

I ran one in my tests @ BassGear but not entirely sure of the model now.
I liked it but had a lot of cabs and configs to get thru so didn't pay too much attention to 15"
and I knew I wanted the S112' which are lovely Vintage vibey cabs, IMO. I wouldn't suggest
just the one tho..always two.
These things don't need a tweeter, but I have them anyway...
2xTKS S112's I can recommend..and certainly with a vintage tone type amp like the
TH500 or PF500. They weight nothing...10kgs...but two of them would
be an expensive way to go about things..

I agree that Epifanis can be too pillowey.
The Berg VN115 might do your job but since they are ceramic, they'll probably be a heavier cab.

I've also liked the PF115 but that means all your eggs in the Ampeg basket..??
I just think Aguilar do it better these days :lol:

Edited by JTUK

I run my compact with a Reidmar and I can get very Chris Squire trebley if I need to with that combination, not that I have the chops you understand, but its there alright. Not tried a MB head so can't comment there.
Also the Reidmar is plenty loud, 2 guitarists with 50W 4x12 Marshalls and I still get myself heard! ;)

Cheers John. Two cabs is not an option at the moment, I just won't have space in the car.
It does sound like a 212 might work for me. I'll do some more reading up on this brand over the next few days. I do like what I've read so far about these and the prices seem reasonable.

It's dawned on me that maybe I'm worring about nothing. As loud as my 1212L can go I'd never really needed to push it hard, so even if a replacement cab is t quite as pokey that might not matter. Luckily I'm only fighting against an un amplified drummer who prefers cymbals over skins to make his racket.

Good point about the Berg's weight as well, although as the weight is specified I can make an educated guess as to if its going to be heavier than I care for.

I don't really consider the Markbass F1 as a pokey head. It's loud but quite a flat tone. It's does the job of course.

As soon as my Yamaha sells I'll be in a better position to go ahead and get a new cab, hopefully by then I'll have settled on something.......and then sell it 3 months later and go back to the 1212L :-(

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1437421504' post='2825900']
I run my compact with a Reidmar and I can get very Chris Squire trebley if I need to with that combination, not that I have the chops you understand, but its there alright. Not tried a MB head so can't comment there.
Also the Reidmar is plenty loud, 2 guitarists with 50W 4x12 Marshalls and I still get myself heard! ;)
[/quote]

The Markbass head is a bit more polite by all accounts. It's a perfect match with the 1212L, as the cab helps add a bit more punch to what sounds to me like quite a flat and even tone. These days I can't imagine using the head without a preamp like my Darkglass or Sansamp, they just bring everything to life.

I don't go for really bright tones but a nice bit of clank is sometime welcome. As I'm trying hard to not use a pick my basic tone has also changed, maybe the 1212L will be better without the pick.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1437483108' post='2826367']
From our range it sounds like you might be best served with a Retro Two10. It'll certainly be loud enough!
[/quote]

Hmmm, i hadnt even considered that but from your web page it does look like it should be ideal. Freq range seems nice and to be honest i like the idea of two drivers over one. Not based on anything other than ive never found a single driver cab has worked as well for me. Never tired 10's though.

Thanks Alex, i might just end up with one of these.