Why become a member? ×

MXR M85 Bass Distortion

LayDownThaFunk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FretNoMore

I'm not impressed by MXR dirt pedals either, the bass overdrive is easily the worst I've tried. From the demos I've heard of this new pedal - and I realize this is not the best way to evaluate it - I think I hear a not that nice harsh top end, but maybe that impression will change as there are more demos. It is labeled a distortion of course, and it does not sound like the smoother lower gain pedals I tend to like. Some poster said it was quite distorted even at the minimum setting.

Bought it, sent it back. Very dissapointed. Couldn't get a tone out of it I liked. Typical MXR dirt pedal, with the clean and dirt sounding entirely seperate from one another, with the dirt on its own thin on the bottom; for me MXR have just got the idea of bass pedals and blend all wrong. Aside from that, I found the pedal muddy and undefined, with the silicon mode sounding thin and the Led mode too muddled.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1438546180' post='2835388']
Bought it, sent it back. Very dissapointed. Couldn't get a tone out of it I liked. Typical MXR dirt pedal, with the clean and dirt sounding entirely seperate from one another, with the dirt on its own thin on the bottom; for me MXR have just got the idea of bass pedals and blend all wrong. Aside from that, I found the pedal muddy and undefined, with the silicon mode sounding thin and the Led mode too muddled.
[/quote]

I got one of these to try out the other day and felt exactly the same. Took it to a rehearsal for a melodic metal band I play in and couldn't get a useable tone that fitted well in the mix. The silicon mode was shrill and glassy and took any presence out of my sound and the Led did the opposite, making my tone muddy and seriously undefined.

MXR - Gooooood
Fuzzrocious - Gooooood
MXR + Fuzzrocious = No thanks

I'm not sure if the disappointment of this pedal was exaggerated by the awesomeness of the other pedals I was trying from the MXR bass innovation range (Bass Preamp, Envelope Filter and Bass Octave Deluxe). It's a shame, as it promised to be something fantastic but even before I played it, there were murmurs that "the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe is the go-to bass dirt box" in the range.

This gives me the cynical feeling that they may have introduced this to the range to appease the pedal aficionados who buy into the name and heritage of the pedal, rather than its actual practical applications?!

if the idea of a rat-ish pedal appeals, I can't recommend the COG TK421-x highly enough, I love that thing - never gelled with the fuzzrocious rat tail or the blower box, but the TK-421x kills it, and has a proper blend, that never sounds like 2 signals :)

I've had the Blowtorch and Bass Fuzz Deluxe and Bass DI/Preamp from MXR, and they left me cold. Shame really, as the other MXR bass stuff (especially the filter) is really rather good.

Edited by paul_5

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the demos, certainly something I can get a lot of utility out of. Of all my pedals MXR seems to give me the most for their price range. I have never been sold on boutique pricing. I will probably pull my Boss Bass Synth (never use it) and replace it with the M85.

Blue

Edited by blue