Why become a member? ×

Groundhog Day set lists...

jonnythenotes

I think the thread is possibly showing us that there's standards in every type of band. Pub rock covers bands do songs like Sex On Fire, Dakota etc etc. Disco bands do tunes like Disco Inferno, Superstition etc etc. Wedding bands do many of the genres and then stuff like Mustang Sally and Signed Sealed Delivered etc. Maybe the question should be "Why do pub bands generally tend to be rock covers?" and that I guess is because that's what a lot of bands, pub customers are comfortable with. I don't doubt disco bands would go down brilliantly every time but if you're good enough to pull off disco tunes well then you can get more rewarding work than the local pub on a saturday. The bottom line is tho that these songs when played well go down really well with a wide spectrum of people and that's what it's all about surely?

I think you have to be a bit careful with this 'we went down a storm playing music of style x to punters who obviously normally listen to y'. What tends to happen is they just like an [i]occasional [/i]respite from type y and presented with a night of x they treat it like a novelty act. As long as they don't hear it too often they go for it, the trick is finding that cut off point and not going to that venue too soon again. Having said that it still probably depends on the genres involved. I couldn't see a dance oriented crowd going much for a death metal band for an evening even if they were considered to be a real top notch death metal band by general agreement.

Edited by KevB

Playing covers in a paid capacity is going to entail having a set-list that isn't to your personal taste by virtue of what it is. If a landlord/lady is paying you then you are working for them and by extension the crowd who are paying the establishment so if they want Mustang Sally then by gum they had better get it! I couldn't play in a cover band for exactly that reason and have due respect for those that do.

A slightly different frustration is playing covers when in an originals band. The band I am in played two different Floor (bonus points if you know 'em) covers much to the delight of probably 3 punters but could I swing it for us to play 'Goodbye Horses'? Could I heck.

I can understand how Sex On Fire can qualify for a spot in a modern pub rock set list, along with Yellow and Mr Brightside and all the other 'modern classics' (AKA bubble gum rock,) as at least these were probably released and heard by the guys playing them after they were born. But what is it with All right now, Stuck in the middle with you, Sweet Home Allicante, Smoke on the water etc which were released 4 or 5 decades ago. I first started playing in the late 70's, and if I had decided to cover songs that were nearly 50 years old, I would have been playing songs that had been around in the 1920's When Al Capone was on the loose... A Charleston covers band.... How about some of those familiar songs that we all know, but no one seems to covers..... Drivers seat... Its my life.... Echo Beach... The Model.... Flyaway.... A design for life.... These would all fit in the pub rock bracket, and I am pretty sure they would be recieved well as they are fairly recent releases, anything but those old kicked and battered tunes that refuse to curl up and croak...

I run a Jazz gig

Best audience reaction ever was Mammal Hands; a three piece sax/keys/drum trio doing totally original material most of which was not in 4:4 or 3:4.

Worst audience reaction - perfectly competent girl singer doing the great American songbook.

I think there is a lot of lazy thinking on here; tediously conservative (small c). Giving the audience who are there what they want may be udnermining your ability to attract many more punters who want something else. Most people I know would not more go and watch a 'default' covers band than they would a free form Jazz gig.

Give them something that they will like but surprise them at the same time.

I play in a blues band, but we do throw in some 60s stuff too. Top of my head the set list is something like:

Django/Just Got Paid/Cocaine
We Gotta Get Outta This Place
Black Magic Woman
Need Your Love Tonight
High Heel Sneakers
The Thrill Is Gone
My Babe
Somebody
Ride The River
Dust Bowl
Rock Me Baby
All Or Nothing
Route 66
Mustang Sally
Before You Accuse Me
Feel Like Making Love
Walking By Myself
Bad Love
Saw Her Standing There
Lucille
China Grove
When You Walk In The Room
I Feel Fine

I have suggested that we ration our generic covers to a maximum of 50% of the set - hopefully it will drop more. And I actually enjoy playing some of the songs which seem universally hated (Mustang Sally, Wishing Well, Sweet Home Alabama frinstance), and as I no longer have to play Red Red f***ing Whine I'm happy.

With some due respect, Bilbo, I'd say your jazz gig and an evening entertaining a complete cross-section of wedding/birthday function guests who'd like to get up and dance are two pretty diametrically opposed things.

How packed is your dance floor to the 'not in 3:4 or 4:4' stuff? I think I'd pay money to see that... :D

And it'd be a mistake to confuse 'lazy thinking' with lots of thinking over lots of gigs after lots of audience feedback...

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1437488083' post='2826439']
I play in a blues band, but we do throw in some 60s stuff too. Top of my head the set list is something like:

Django/Just Got Paid/Cocaine
We Gotta Get Outta This Place
Black Magic Woman
Need Your Love Tonight
High Heel Sneakers
The Thrill Is Gone
My Babe
Somebody
Ride The River
Dust Bowl
Rock Me Baby
All Or Nothing
Route 66
Mustang Sally
Before You Accuse Me
Feel Like Making Love
Walking By Myself
Bad Love
Saw Her Standing There
Lucille
China Grove
When You Walk In The Room
I Feel Fine
[/quote]

I'm also in a blues band and we have only one of yours in our song list; Route 66! Very happy! Maybe there are enough songs to go around after all?

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1437487416' post='2826430']
I run a Jazz gig

Best audience reaction ever was Mammal Hands; a three piece sax/keys/drum trio doing totally original material most of which was not in 4:4 or 3:4.

Worst audience reaction - perfectly competent girl singer doing the great American songbook.

[u][i]I think there is a lot of lazy thinking on here; tediously conservative (small c).[/i][/u] Giving the audience who are there what they want may be udnermining your ability to attract many more punters who want something else. Most people I know would not more go and watch a 'default' covers band than they would a free form Jazz gig.

Give them something that they will like but surprise them at the same time.
[/quote]

The usual pompous, condescending twaddle we've come to expect from this...individual.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1437488414' post='2826445']
How packed is your dance floor to the 'not in 3:4 or 4:4' stuff? I think I'd pay money to see that...
[/quote]

The sight of a bunch of women attempting to linedance to the 7/4 section of "Music" by John Miles is thoroughly entertaining.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1437486476' post='2826422']
How about some of those familiar songs that we all know, but no one seems to covers..... Drivers seat... Its my life.... Echo Beach... [/quote]

Just as an aside, Echo Beach was tentatively in the set of the band i joined earlier this year and they seemed unsure of it so i really pushed them to go for it fully commited. It's gone down as well as anything else on the list at the 3 gigs we've done to date and better than some other 'regulars'. I'm trying to get them to do 'Turning Japanese' but I don't think I'll win on that one.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1437488663' post='2826451']
The sight of a bunch of women attempting to linedance to the 7/4 section of "Music" by John Miles is thoroughly entertaining.
[/quote]

Where and when? I'm there... :D

As regards to the '70's regulars' that we all hear and wonder why they still have an audience, well there are a few aspects. Firstly it's hard to keep a really popular tune down and also you have to think of the demographic and where the disposable income is. Those into middle age now that have seen their kids through college before the massive hike in tuition fees and who are nearing or have gone through clearing their mortgages also have decent pensions still on the horizon if they are lucky. They probably have more easy money to burn down the local as anyone else. They will often be the ones who have great memories from their late teens to early adult years hearing stuff like Alright Now and Stuck In The Middle With You. It's partly a nostalgia thing.

A former band mate asked me if I'd be interested in joining his current covers band and sent me their set list.

Apologies for those using mobiles but it is a bit long.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Alright Now[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]After Midnight[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bad Case of loving you[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bad Moon arising[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Blue Suede Shoes[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Born to be Wild[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Brown Sugar[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Black Magic Woman[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Brown Eyed Girl[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Boys are back in town[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Crossroads[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Can’t get enough[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cigarettes & Alcohol[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cocaine[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Don’t Stop[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Do you wanna dance[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Freebird[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Free fallin[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Gimme some lovin[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hard days night[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hotel California[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Highway to Hell[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I shot the Sheriff[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Land down Under[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Long train running[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lay down Sally[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mustang Sally[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Moondance[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nutbush[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]One way or another[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Passenger[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pride[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Place your hands[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Rocking all over the world[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Should I stay or should I go[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sultans of Swing[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sweet home Alabama[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]She sells Sanctuary[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sex on Fire[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Smells like teen spirit[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Stuck in the middle[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Town called malice[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Whats up[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Whole lotta love[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]White wedding[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You shook me all night long[/font][/color]

I instantly turned down the opportunity. My area is full of bands that do exactly the same songs...I saw one only a few days before he sent me this list. To me it's far too predictable. The same goes for bands who cover other genres, they tend to pick predictable material, it's just that there are fewer bands doing that genre.

This weekend gone i went to a local festival and it was sadly noticeable that the main stage's audience was thinner than usual. The reason was that rather than put on a very well known covers band doing all the predictable covers the organisers put on more local original bands. The main band were great, sadly the 'locals' didn't give them a chance.

Bilbo:

I won't quote you but I think the fact that you run a Jazz gig informs your post quite heavily. For example, I play in a heavy metal band and most of the people I know would run a mile if I put on [i]Agharta[/i] or [i]Mothership Connection[/i] but does that make either of those albums or their respective genres less worthy? Also, could your jazz crowd's indifferent reaction to renditions of the Great American Songbook be viewed as conservative?

People like what they like. If you don't like it then all we have ascertained is that your tastes differ but if you put yourself in a position when people can reasonably request particular songs then they probably will.

[quote name='pjb13.bass' timestamp='1437488656' post='2826450']
The usual pompous, condescending twaddle we've come to expect from this...individual.
[/quote]
1. Unnecessarily harsh. By all means challenge, but there's no need to be rude.
2. With all due respect, you've been here for 19 days. How can you have 'come to expect' anything? ;)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1437490386' post='2826471']
1. Unnecessarily harsh. By all means challenge, but there's no need to be rude.
2. With all due respect, you've been here for 19 days. How can you have 'come to expect' anything? ;)
[/quote]

1. I don't agree that it was in anyway rude. Vehement yes. Rude no

2. I was on this site before and on a thread started by this same individual entitled something like 'Isn't Jazz wonderful' I raised some points, these points were countered and I re-countered and so on as is the point of these boards. However, despite not using any bad language or being in anyway abusive, I was not only thrown off the thread but, as other contributors told me, also all of my comments were deleted from the thread. That is not just censorship that is abuse of power by a moderator. So[i] that[/i] is why I expect his attitude. That and the fact that since I've come back he doesn't appear to have changed at all.

"...individual" implies you'd rather post an insult, which is rude

Anyway, I play in an original folk(ish) band. We're not doing so many pubs now but we did for the last year or two. We never had a problem entertaining a pub packed with drinkers. I'm sure they'd normally be getting their "sex on fire" etc but as long as you put on a good show and engage with the audience, they will go with you IME

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1437491571' post='2826486']
"...individual" implies you'd rather post an insult, which is rude

Anyway, I play in an original folk(ish) band. We're not doing so many pubs now but we did for the last year or two. We never had a problem entertaining a pub packed with drinkers. I'm sure they'd normally be getting their "sex on fire" etc but as long as you put on a good show and engage with the audience, they will go with you IME
[/quote]

Using 'individual' shows I am making a concerted effort not to be rude.

[quote name='pjb13.bass' timestamp='1437491152' post='2826481']
2. I was on this site before and on a thread started by this same individual entitled something like 'Isn't Jazz wonderful' I raised some points, these points were countered and I re-countered and so on as is the point of these boards. However, despite not using any bad language or being in anyway abusive, I was not only thrown off the thread but, as other contributors told me, also all of my comments were deleted from the thread. That is not just censorship that is abuse of power by a moderator. So[i] that[/i] is why I expect his attitude. That and the fact that since I've come back he doesn't appear to have changed at all.

[/quote]

I have put on more weight.

Seriously, though, I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of deleting posts in my 'God, I Love Jazz' thread. I have never been aware of any shenanighans on there that required any deletions and I certainly can't remember doing it (also, I cannot delete accounts; that's well above my pay grade). I am really not that easily offended (pompous and condescending I can take, but TWADDLE?!!!).

And, tauzero, re: dancing to 7:4; there are more ways to enjoy a gig than dancing and I suspect (although I have no evidence for this) that, overall, more people DON'T dance at gigs than do. There are also other varables. Having done many wedding/party gigs with the same band, I am often amazed at the way in which the same songs/set can get everyone dancing at one gig and hardly anyone dancing at the next.

Back when I used to play in rock bands, the drummer and I were putting together a covers band as a side project to our originals band. At about the time we were putting together the set list I was walking down the high street one Sunday afternoon, past about 4 or 5 pubs, all of which had bands on and all of which were playing 'Wishing Well' as I passed by.

At that point I decided that we weren't going to play the same stuff that everyone plays, or if we did, it would be in a very different style (ska-punk version of Beautiful by Christine Aguliera (sp?), breakbeat version of Seven Nation Army etc.). we did quite well out of it, even though half the set was made up of obscure album tracks rather than singles.

So, I suppose I'm saying that you don't have to play 'what the people want' - if you put some thought and effort in you can give people something they never thought they'd enjoy.

I'm reminded of my old band The Premature Ejaculators. The music was raucous, and the lyrics were far too offensive to be enjoyed by anyone civilised, and yet whenever we played, we went down a storm. The only cover was "love comes in spurts"

...So I think Bilbo is right in that people ARE ready to experience something different, you just have to do it in the right way. Maybe it's just easier to engage people if you're playing the radio 2 playlist?

Edited by cheddatom