Why become a member? ×

Off The Beaten Track Covers That Go Down Well

Mykesbass

Yes. I've played at least 5 of the songs off that list.

Particularly 'I'll be there for you' bombed. Mainly due to the drummers lack of ability but it was a really difficult tune to get the band to agree too as well, so maybe the drummer wasn't interested enough in the first place.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1437652285' post='2827852']
My band Illegal Tender has a lot of odd stuff included in the set list. The one that *never* fails to get people dancing/clapping etc is Steve Earle's 'Copperhead Road'. A country classic that I would think 99% of punters would have never heard before. Very strange.
[/quote]

Yes, this one always helped mid set to take off if things were a little slow.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1437653012' post='2827864']
We're going to try out Galway Girl by Steve Earle at the moment, if it goes down well it might be worth looking at Copperhead Road too :)

[/quote]

We do both Copperhead Road and Galway Girl in our band. Interestingly someone said to me recently at a gig that if you were to do Galway Girl at a pub in Ireland these days you may well be boo'd off the stage as they are sick of hearing it

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1437648344' post='2827791']
Maybe you mean " I wish I knew how ( it would feel to be free ) " by Billy Taylor .
If so , then good call !

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brBtTluod_w[/media]

Also covered by Nina Simone , The Lighthouse Family and maybe others ;

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sEP0-8VAow[/media]
[/quote]

ah yea great song we use to do the jools holland version.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1437643310' post='2827740']
For me it's all about the arrangement and the attitude of the players.

Any tune can sound tired and hackneyed. Particularly if you've got a five piece playing Rolling Stones covers slavishly to the original.

We have a singer who seems to be too keen of saying "Well, we can do it like that, but it's not how they do it in the original." Fill a band full of musicians with that attitde and you'll get the audience you deserve.
[/quote]

yep.... clones are clones..give me some personality and originality every single time and twice on sundays..:lol:

As for 'off the beaten track' its becoming far too apparent (in this neck of the woods, at least) that they wants what they wants 'cos it's what they wants. We (i.e. blame squarely laid at my feet) decided to put in something I believe the yoofs refer to as a 'mash-it-up' or some such colloquialism, and as much as we like playing it, this song is currently on it's last warning. We did this a while ago to a room full of nothing short of utter f***ing bewilderment, which quickly lead to the downing of pints and the zipping of coats. Not to worry, though, SoF rescued the day to loud 'huzzahs' all round! Makes you wanna f***ing weep. sometimes!

The offending article: https://soundcloud.com/vince-peters/double-vision-stand-by-every-breath-you-take

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1437822322' post='2829288']
As for 'off the beaten track' its becoming far too apparent (in this neck of the woods, at least) that they wants what they wants 'cos it's what they wants. We (i.e. blame squarely laid at my feet) decided to put in something I believe the yoofs refer to as a 'mash-it-up' or some such colloquialism, and as much as we like playing it, this song is currently on it's last warning. We did this a while ago to a room full of nothing short of utter f***ing bewilderment, which quickly lead to the downing of pints and the zipping of coats. Not to worry, though, SoF rescued the day to loud 'huzzahs' all round! Makes you wanna f***ing weep. sometimes!

The offending article: [url="https://soundcloud.com/vince-peters/double-vision-stand-by-every-breath-you-take"]https://soundcloud.c...breath-you-take[/url]
[/quote]

Such a shame as that works really well!

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1437599685' post='2827550']

We talked about doing Sparks ' this town ain't big enough for both of us' but it never got further than that.
[/quote]

We sometimes close the first set with that and it does indeed go down well (and fun to play)

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1437651803' post='2827842']
OK, a couple of editorial decisions, and tried to keep it down to one or two per poster. Hopefully some food for thought for those that want to break away from Moondance, Sex on Fire or Alright Now!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Drift Away Dobie Gray[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. In A Broken Dream Thunder/Python Lee Jackson[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. You Make My Dreams Come True Hall & Oates[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. Squeezebox The Who [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Philadelphia Freedom Elton John[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Zoot Suit Riot Cherry Poppin' Daddies[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]7. Police & Thieves Junior Murvin [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]8. 6th Street Louisa Marks [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]9. Up Around The Bend CCR [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]10. Boys of Summer Ataris/Don Henley[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]11. Iris Goo Goo Dolls [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]12. Video Killed The Radio Star Buggles [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]13. Theme From Night Rider[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]14. Lady Eleanore Lindisfarne [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]15. How Come Ronnie Lane [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]16. Lovely Day Bill Withers[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]17. Burning Down The House Talking Heads[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]18. Mississippi Queen Mountain [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]19. Beds Are Burning Midnight Oil[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]20. Theme From Starsky & Hutch[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]21. I'll Be There For You Rembrandts[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]22. Friction Television[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]23. Time Pink Floyd[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]24. Don't Dream its Over Sixpence None the Richer/Crowded House[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]25. Fortunate Son Creedance Clearwater Revival[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]26. Live & Let Die Wings[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]27. Good Souls Starsailor[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]28. Middle of the Road Pretenders[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]29. All the Way From Memphis Mott the Hoople[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]30. Lately Stevie Wonder[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]31. Roxanne Police[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]32. What a Wonderful World Joey Ramone[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]33. Build Me Up Buttercup Foundations[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]34. My Coo Ca Choo Alvin Stardust[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]35. Don't Stop Fleetwood Mac[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]36. Get Carter Roy Budd[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]37. They Don't Know About Us Kirsty MacColl[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]38. Is She Really Going Out With Him? Joe Jackson[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]39. You Can Leave Your Hat On Joe Cocker[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]40. I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free Dr Billy Taylor/Nina Simone/Film 1988-2012 (or similar)![/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Ode to Billy Joe Bobby Gentry[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]42. Copperhead Road Steve Earle[/font][/color]
[/quote]

out of that entire list we do one song and its at number 2, we do the Thunder version and it does go down well, out of our sets (70`s 80`s 90`s rock covers band) anything by Dio and Whitesnake tends to go down well. Off the beaten track covers would be That Girl by FM seems to go down well and Jane by Jefferson Airplane.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1437906134' post='2829811']
Had a gig last night and gave 'Psycho Killer' an airing for the first time. Really went down well. Or maybe it was just because it was in Bishop Stortford, I don't know... :)
[/quote]

We do psycho killer and it has never failed to go down well

Quick Update

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Drift Away Dobie Gray[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. In A Broken Dream Thunder/Python Lee Jackson[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. You Make My Dreams Come True Hall & Oates[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. Squeezebox The Who [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Philadelphia Freedom Elton John[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Zoot Suit Riot Cherry Poppin' Daddies[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]7. Police & Thieves Junior Murvin [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]8. 6th Street Louisa Marks [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]9. Up Around The Bend CCR [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]10. Boys of Summer Ataris/Don Henley[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]11. Iris Goo Goo Dolls [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]12. Video Killed The Radio Star Buggles [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]13. Theme From Night Rider[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]14. Lady Eleanore Lindisfarne [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]15. How Come Ronnie Lane [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]16. Lovely Day Bill Withers[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]17. Burning Down The House Talking Heads[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]18. Mississippi Queen Mountain [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]19. Beds Are Burning Midnight Oil[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]20. Theme From Starsky & Hutch[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]21. I'll Be There For You Rembrandts[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]22. Friction Television[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]23. Time Pink Floyd[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]24. Don't Dream its Over Sixpence None the Richer/Crowded House[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]25. Fortunate Son Creedance Clearwater Revival[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]26. Live & Let Die Wings[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]27. Good Souls Starsailor[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]28. Middle of the Road Pretenders[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]29. All the Way From Memphis Mott the Hoople[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]30. Lately Stevie Wonder[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]31. Roxanne Police[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]32. What a Wonderful World Joey Ramone[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]33. Build Me Up Buttercup Foundations[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]34. My Coo Ca Choo Alvin Stardust[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]35. Don't Stop Fleetwood Mac[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]36. Get Carter Roy Budd[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]37. They Don't Know About Us Kirsty MacColl[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]38. Is She Really Going Out With Him? Joe Jackson[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]39. You Can Leave Your Hat On Joe Cocker[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]40. I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free Dr Billy Taylor/Nina Simone/Film 1988-2012 (or similar)![/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Ode to Billy Joe Bobby Gentry[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]42. Copperhead Road Steve Earle[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]43. Swords of a Thousand Men Tenpole Tudor[/font][/color]

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1437652285' post='2827852']
My band Illegal Tender has a lot of odd stuff included in the set list. The one that *never* fails to get people dancing/clapping etc is Steve Earle's 'Copperhead Road'. A country classic that I would think 99% of punters would have never heard before. Very strange.
[/quote]
I've done that a few times, and always goes down well! Actually done 14 off the list above.

Other songs i've found personally - mostly 80s because I used to have an 80s tribute band....

Gold - Spandau Ballet (Partly because our drummer/vocalist could do the held note at the end, although he could hold it for the entire time round the 8 bars, and then into an outro. (Very impressive)
Heaven is a Place on Earth - Belinda Carlisle
Lionel - Hello (I dont understand it, but this was always huge!)
Deacon Blue - Real gone Kid (maybe too beaten track - but done really well with a good keyboard player)
Then
I believe in a thing called love (is this too "beaten track?)
I Found Out - Pigeon Detectives
Why do you love me? - Garbage (maybe just because of a particular audience)

Ones that sank :
I've had the time of my life

Edited by gapiro