Why become a member? ×

fleas board at live earth gig

Kev

anyone else notice he had two odb-3's? sicne when is this? i cant think how he could make use of two, but iv narrowed down to two possibilities:

1: he uses one for hard overdrive, like around the world, and one for milder overdrive, like the little improvisations he does in btw and give it away

or

2: he uses one as a overdrive, and the other as a clean boost, effectivly replacing the mxr micro amp (which i couldnt see if it was there or not)

Correction: they get to show everyone else how environmentaly aware they are by flying with all of their gear from LA to london and THEN putting a concert on! I suppose at least all madonna needed was a tape so we can let her off BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!! tbh i didn't really get a very good look at his pedalboard but maybe he's like Timmy c out of RATM/audioslave who uses 2 crybabys to get a really massive sweep. so he uses 2 overdrives to get an incredibly massive (or just plain muddy) sound.

josh klinghoffer (cant spell)

friend of johns and the band, him and john write music together outside the chili peppers

and thers no way flea could use them both at the same time, it would be far too distorted

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='28524' date='Jul 8 2007, 10:33 AM']josh klinghoffer (cant spell)

friend of johns and the band, him and john write music together outside the chili peppers

and thers no way flea could use them both at the same time, it would be far too distorted[/quote]

Well there are bassists that use 2 (or more!) distortions at the same time, but they're usually after a more industrial, almost synthy sound. Which doesn't sound like Flea's usual tone.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='28561' date='Jul 8 2007, 12:34 PM']Well there are bassists that use 2 (or more!) distortions at the same time, but they're usually after a more industrial, almost synthy sound. Which doesn't sound like Flea's usual tone.[/quote]
thats what im saying :)

Ahh I thought it was Josh but I wasn't sure, I noticed he was playing frusciantes guitar.. Then of course there is the synth player they have who stands behind the amps..

Regarding overdrive I think on the RHCP BBS people reckoned it was a pro co rat and then the ODB3.

[quote name='Alun' post='28704' date='Jul 8 2007, 06:49 PM']A lot of 80s metal bands used to do that, even Ozzy whose music featured quite a bit of keys. The reason they went on late was down to a problem with the keyboards according to the BBC presenters.[/quote]

MB1. :)

Apparently they wouldnt rise up through the floor when they pressed the button?

[quote name='dr.funk' post='28668' date='Jul 8 2007, 05:31 PM']Ahh I thought it was Josh but I wasn't sure, I noticed he was playing frusciantes guitar.. Then of course there is the synth player they have who stands behind the amps..

Regarding overdrive I think on the RHCP BBS people reckoned it was a pro co rat and then the ODB3.[/quote]

there wad definatly two identical bright yellow pedals on his board, which could only have been 2 odb-3's. flea has never used a rat, it cuts all the low end and is basically sh*te on bass

[quote name='BassManKev' post='28887' date='Jul 8 2007, 11:24 PM']there wad definatly two identical bright yellow pedals on his board, which could only have been 2 odb-3's. flea has never used a rat, it cuts all the low end and is basically sh*te on bass[/quote]

how can you say he has "never" used one? im pretty sure you havent been around him every time he tries a pedal...

sorry im just a really big flea fan and i guess i just like to think i know everything :) ^_^

im fairly definate he has never used one live for a show anyways, he's been pretty loyal to the odb-3 since he started using distortion, he brought a big muff onto his board last year but i think that has been replaced with that second odb-3.

[quote name='Higgie' post='28926' date='Jul 9 2007, 12:55 AM']He has used one. It's on his "Spontaneous Jamming Techniques" DVD/Video he did. I think it may have been used on Around the World too, with some studio enhancement to make it sound better.[/quote]
it definatly was a odb-3 he used on around the world, with studio enhancements of some sort, not only does it sound like the pedal, but he has said it in numerous videos, and his sound technition has been known to talk from time to time about his board with members of the rhcp board

after listenin to the live earth performance again, its fairly obvious why he has two

he has one for a very mild overdrive, which he uses in the verse for so much i (how i didnt notice this before il never know)

the other is used for heavu overdrive, sucha as around the world, and the improvisation in by the way at live earth

[quote name='MB1' post='28698' date='Jul 8 2007, 08:34 PM']MB1. :)

Theres a synth player that stands behind the amps?......thats a bit much dont you think?......body odour or halitosis?.....or do they just not like him?[/quote]

The synth player is Chad Smiths drum tech and he doesn't want to be on stage. He plays on Snow and a couple of other songs.

And here is flea's pedal board for the stadium arcadium tour.

And his amps

And his bass tech: