Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic G-System on bass...anybody tried it?

Cameronj279

Basically I'm considering selling up the pedalboard and going for a multi-effects of some sort.

The Kemper profiling amp has peaked my interest but when you include the foot controller it would be around the £1500 mark which at the moment is more than I have (unless my recent job interview has went considerably better than I think it has).

Finding any real information about the g-system on bass is proving quite difficult.

My current setup is : TC Polytune Mini, MXR Envelope Filter, MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, Darkglass B3K and some EHX delay pedal so I would be looking for it to be able to do a rough estimation of each of those pedals if possible.

If it was me, my solution would be to keep the pedals and buy a decent Loop Switching system and keep using the pedals. It takes away the need for tap dancing and means you can program your sounds with great accuracy. The footprint of something like a G-System will have a similar on stage footprint. Horses for courses though.... :) Price wise you can probably get a decent Loop Switching system for less than the difference between the money you'll get from selling all your pedals and buying a G-System.

Edit. just seen it has had a big price reduction to £750 so you would probably put in slightly less by selling all your pedals, but I would still go for controlling proper bass pedals than using a Guitar based system (not having a go, just stating my preference :) )

Edited by The Badderer

My main thought behind going multi effects is that I have to change the settings on my pedals a lot (probably after every 1-2 songs during our live set) and a multi-effects would be simpler and basically just mean I don't have to spend the last 30 seconds of each song trying to remember which pedals I have to change.

Edited by Cameronj279

ohhhh crikey. So you're going for different sounds from the same pedals in the same set.... yeah that's either a G-system type deal, or you want to start looking into certain MIDI controlled pedals that a loop switcher can control when you program it. That's still going to involve changing certain pedals or buying a few new ones to give you more sound options so you don't have to keep adjusting a few pedals by hand.

If you want half decent, all in one, then the Line 6 M13 is about as good as it gets from an all in one.

I've tried the G-System on bass, and it's good. The effects are impressive, as you'd expect from TC. In terms of 'audio quality', I'd put it way up high, especially if you can snag one of the iB Modified versions (that buffer just sings on bass)... But the M13 has more versatility than any other multi out there IMO. It's not the greatest sounding, but 99% of your audience won't know the difference. It's patch saving is great, and it'll allow multiple patches at your feet without problem, and up to 4 effects at once in any order.

You could go Axe FX II if you want seriously impressive, or even run Guitar Rig from a MacBook/Laptop... But for the money, and what it sounds like your needs are... Go M13