Why become a member? ×

NBD: Regal Resonator Bass

kristo

I've picked up a Regal RD-05 resonator bass and had my local luthier change the cone for a Beard legend, and fit a Seymour Duncan pickup. This thing is awesome now! Upon fitting the cone it became apparent that the workmanship inside was pretty shocking! I'm now over the moon with it, it sounds great unplugged in my trio and lovely plugged in. Here it is with it's little brother:

[url="http://s277.photobucket.com/user/krisbales/media/8C071DAC-9680-4725-83BA-6C6B0C47EDA6_zps2gjsijor.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by kristo

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1437843257' post='2829498']
Interesting, I had never really thought of a resonator as an alternative to an electro acoustic... Looks fantastic! We're the upgrades costly?
[/quote]

IIUC resonator guitars were originally designed to compete unamplified with brass sections, so it seemed obvious to me they'd be louder. I could be wrong :)

Edited by alyctes

The Beard cone was fairly expensive, but the pickup is just a SCPB3. However, I'm likely to change that for a Fralin in the future. The biggest cost was the labour needed to sort the shoddy insides

Edited by kristo