Why become a member? ×

Buying a stag eub what do I need to know

Twincam

Ok I have a gentleman offering me a stag eub at a very reasonable price. I'm thinking about buying it as I fancy a go at playing one and if I'm not keen seems like I would be able to move it on.

I have only a little knowledge on uprights and zero on eub basses. How should I test it out what should I be looking for?.

Hi mate, You'll find loads of information about Stagg modifications/fixes on this site [url="https://staggeub.wordpress.com/modifications/"]https://staggeub.wor.../modifications/[/url], and other bass forums. I've never owned one, but I understand from the forums that common quality issues include a loose/wobbly end pin, dot position markers being out of place, electrics not being shielded sufficiently, and stock strings being low quality. Good luck with the search.

Edited by petebassist

I'd say the above advice is a great start
On my old Stagg, the dot position markers were not quite right
But that's fixed easily enough
A little dab of modellers acrylic black paint, to cover the old ones
and some stick-on fluorescent types to replace (if any are out of position)
On mine it was at the bottom end of the neck - I placed one in the "F" position

The electrics on mine seemed fine
Maybe just check the headphone socket, and the input socket are both working - plus check the pots
The input socket is handy, for jamming along with MP3's :)

But the most important aspect for me was changing the strings
They were awful strings on the original!
I knew nothing about DB strings, and initially found the choice was mind-boggling
much more so than Bass Guitar...

So maybe check if the owner knows whether they've been changed
Some better quality, lower tension strings improved playability hugely for me

Other than that - check for the usual obvious signs of cracks/ wear & tear around the body / neck joint
Though that's not a particular problem with Stagg EUB's as far as I'm aware.

If it's a good price, and condition seems fine - just go for it
You won't regret it. A Stagg EUB was my first foray into the world of DB
They're cheap, they're well worth the 2nd hand value, as you'd get your money back
And they're pretty good instruments

Best of luck :)
PS. Let us know how you get on

I´ve owned Stagg EUB and if I buy it again I´ll check the fingerboard first. You can easily fix almost all issues with electronics, endpin an such things, but if the fingerboard (the laquered one, not the rosewood one!) is not plain, you´ll end with lot of buzzing and madly high string action. The truss rod is not working a lot. IMO the repair is not worth the instrument (pretty soft wood under the neck laquer...).

[quote name='ljbass' timestamp='1437724941' post='2828460']
I´ve owned Stagg EUB and if I buy it again I´ll check the fingerboard first. You can easily fix almost all issues with electronics, endpin an such things, but if the fingerboard (the laquered one, not the rosewood one!) is not plain, you´ll end with lot of buzzing and madly high string action. The truss rod is not working a lot. IMO the repair is not worth the instrument (pretty soft wood under the neck laquer...).
[/quote]

More good advice
Though I have to say, on mine, the finish on the fingerboard did seem to be really tough
There wasn't a mark on it when I bought it, and after all the transporting about,
and the playing - there wasn't a mark on it when I sold it

But as ljbass says, check it over for wear & cracks etc
I'm sure it'll be fine, unless it's been abused....