Why become a member? ×

NBD - Ibanez Portamento

ForestPoetry

Only my 2nd post but I won't turn down a chance to show off this thing!

This is my 4th fretless. I had the the biggest GAS for this thing ever since I first became aware of it. I got a fretless LTD B-205 a month or so ago, and it had some potential, but the pre-amp was a major dissapointment to me. So, I returned it and saved up a bit more, and got the bass I wanted all along. This thing is just great! I find the piezo tone control is ridiculously powerful and should be kept well below halfway for the best chance at EUB tones. It does a pretty decent impression if you play on the extended "ramp" bit. And on top of that, it's a very nice electric fretless anyway! SR's are probably my favourite in terms of commonly available basses you can walk into a music shop and buy, ie not custom stuff. The body's a bit chunkier than a typical SR which is a definite plus in terms of tone. The thru-neck and additonal contour on the rear of the body are excellent.

Overall, I'm chuffed! I was also looking at the Ibanez GWB35 Gary Willis, which looks like a very nice piece of kit too despite what I have read about the pre-amp not being amazing. I almost went for it on the basis of the ebony board, but I decided the Portamento was the more interesting choice.

Drool drool drool... I had a play on one of these - an SRF705? - when I was about to dip my toe into the waters of 5-strings. I ended up with a GWB-35, which is also lovely, although I'm more of a neck-pickup kinda guy so I think I'll be trading it in at some point, and the SRF is the prime contender for its replacement!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1437687528' post='2828314']
Is this useful: [url="http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-30/reviews/ibanez-srf-700bbf-fretless-bass/"]http://www.iguitarma...-fretless-bass/[/url]
[/quote]

Not to the OP - he's already bought one! But yes, you've got me thinking now...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1437687698' post='2828319']
Not to the OP - he's already bought one! But yes, you've got me thinking now...
[/quote]

Yes sorry, I didn't mean to the OP! heh! Sorry :)

Nice review up there! Indeed the ability to blend the magnetics and piezo makes it a very versatile bass. I have noticed though that bringing in the piezo seems to defeat the EQ section for the Barts. Not really an issue to me, so far I've been enjoying soloing the piezo for the most part. Something to be aware of, though. That and the piezo output is very hot, but you do get the individual saddle volume pots on the back of the body.

This is easily the most impressive fretless I've found in the mid-range price point. My first fretless was one of those limited run SR300s about 3 years ago. Technically it was a downgrade as I had sold my SR505 and found myself with no bass (that's a dark place to be, I tell you). I have always loved fretless (grew up listening to guys like Mick Karn and Tony Levin before I found metal in my teens, and eventually guys like Steve Digiorgio playing fretless on the mid-era Death albums and the incredible Sean Malone in Cynic, see my avatar) so I got it as an experiment and well, here I am. I thought at the time a higher end fretless SR would be the tits...and it is!

Edited by ForestPoetry

Fits "Wuthering Heights" like a glove! Though I would have rather done "Deeper Understanding" myself as the fretless playing in that song blows me away.

One minor point I will now raise about this bass, although perhaps it is a non-issue: the finish. It's the same finish as the SR500 and yes, it's already started wearing away from normal use. I always disliked that about my SR505. It's just a rather flimsy finish job. I guess I'll just have to be careful and deal with it when it does inevitably get more worn down...mojo and all that.