Why become a member? ×

What amp...? Totally clueless.

Cameronj279

Noticed there was a Genz Benz Shuttle in the marketplace here so I've now bought it and look forward to try it. The way they were described 'clear, punchy, modern, hifi' is what I have in my mind (Whether or not it's actually want I need is a different story!)

Cheers for the help folks and I'll report back after using it for a while

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1437986933' post='2830468']
Noticed there was a Genz Benz Shuttle in the marketplace here so I've now bought it and look forward to try it. The way they were described 'clear, punchy, modern, hifi' is what I have in my mind (Whether or not it's actually want I need is a different story!)

[/quote]

I reckon you'll love it... I had a shuittle for a while and thought it was a great amp.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1437986933' post='2830468']

[/quote]

Good choice, I think :)

Is that the 600 or 900? Just curious.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1437990525' post='2830513']
Shuttle 9.0 so the 900 I believe :)
[/quote]

sorry, I meant 6.0/6.2 or 9.0/9.2, the 600/900 is the Streamliner model numbers (I'm not entirely convinced about the 600/900W ;) but they're not weeny wimpy amps)

I think there was a difference between the 6.0 vs 6.2, with the 6.0 being a bit shy in the lows, people claimed, but not such thing with the 9.0 vs 9.2

So I'm just out of the first rehearsal with the Genz Benz. I have to say. By far the best sounding amp I've used. it sounded excellent with my ACG and I found the low/high boost switches boosted just the right amount for my needs. All that and I didn't have to put the volume above 3!

It certainly didn't lack any oomf!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1438278060' post='2833213']
So I'm just out of the first rehearsal with the Genz Benz. I have to say. By far the best sounding amp I've used. it sounded excellent with my ACG and I found the low/high boost switches boosted just the right amount for my needs. All that and I didn't have to put the volume above 3!

[/quote]

The shuttles have great EQ/boost controls but in most other respects I prefer my RH450 being a dirtier sound and all (I play with a flatish sound can live with E.Q being a bit more fiddly). Great amps if you like a clean sound though to be sure.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1438278060' post='2833213']

[/quote]

Glad you are liking your new amp! :)

There was one thing I didn't like about my Shuttle: the feet.
They're hard plastic and on some surfaces it makes the amp too prone to drifting about. Because it's so light, it's too easy to pull it around by the cable!
I replaced the feet with nice rubber ones, easily...
Here's a link in case you find the same issue:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231593-replacing-feet-on-a-genz-benz-shuttle-92-with-pictures/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231593-replacing-feet-on-a-genz-benz-shuttle-92-with-pictures/[/url]

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1438284701' post='2833304']
The shuttles have great EQ/boost controls but in most other respects I prefer my RH450 being a dirtier sound and all (I play with a flatish sound can live with E.Q being a bit more fiddly). Great amps if you like a clean sound though to be sure.
[/quote]

Nice way to make the OP nice about his purchase! :P :lol:
(kidding)

I could be wrong but I believe the amp I got already has rubber feet...Certainly didn't notice any moving around.

I find the actual tone shaping in the amp to be quite subtle if I'm honest. it's not a very harsh EQ which is good for me as my bass has more than enough tone controls.

I've really valued reading through this thread as I'm in a similar boat. My Ashdown RC500 evo ii has died a death and is beyond economical repair (needs new PSU and it's cooked half the transistors on the board). I have a Sansamp Bass VT and use a trex bass fuzz and tend to have a slightly overdriven sound pretty much all the time onto a full on fuzz through a schroeder 410l.

I need to get a new head but don't have a huge budget to play with. I've been looking at a lightweight heads but have been a bit disappointed with the overall heft of some of the amps I've tried before. They just haven't had the same big chunky natural low end of the Ashdown which I really loved. However I don't want to get anything as heavy and I don't want a hifi esque tone. I've been eyeing up the new sansamp VT 500. It's appealing as I'm used to the tone of the pre-amp pedal that's been in my chain for years. If I get one I can also sell the pre-amp pedal too for £100ish. Are there any other contenders for less than £500? Am I asking too much for this budget? I play in a really loud 3 piece with a big hitting drummer which doesn't help! Any advice is much appreciated.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='jonno1981' timestamp='1438720450' post='2836727']
I've really valued reading through this thread as I'm in a similar boat. My Ashdown RC500 evo ii has died a death and is beyond economical repair (needs new PSU and it's cooked half the transistors on the board). I have a Sansamp Bass VT and use a trex bass fuzz and tend to have a slightly overdriven sound pretty much all the time onto a full on fuzz through a schroeder 410l.

I need to get a new head but don't have a huge budget to play with. I've been looking at a lightweight heads but have been a bit disappointed with the overall heft of some of the amps I've tried before. They just haven't had the same big chunky natural low end of the Ashdown which I really loved. However I don't want to get anything as heavy and I don't want a hifi esque tone. I've been eyeing up the new sansamp VT 500. It's appealing as I'm used to the tone of the pre-amp pedal that's been in my chain for years. If I get one I can also sell the pre-amp pedal too for £100ish. Are there any other contenders for less than £500? Am I asking too much for this budget? I play in a really loud 3 piece with a big hitting drummer which doesn't help! Any advice is much appreciated.
[/quote]

The sansamp sounds like the way to go if you like the VT takes the guess work out of whether you will like the basic sound.

[/quote]

I've just got one of the first Ashdowm RM800 heads; £499 is the RRP so not much change for you but I know it'll give you the Ashdown sound you know and love in a smaller package :)

[/quote]

If you like the sound of the VT Bass pedal, you could use it as a preamp into the effects return of any amp. That's what I do but with the Leeds pedal. That way the actual amp itself isn't so important, as long as it's loud and powerful enough as you are really only using it as a power amp.

Thank you for the responses and apologies for hijacking the original thread. I'm seriously looking into the VT500, my concern is that as it's such a new product it might be a while before I get my hands on one. I'm not so keen to buy another ashdown, for reasons I wont go into details here. Anyone have any experience of the TC stuff or GK digital amps?

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='jonno1981' timestamp='1438806754' post='2837639']
Thank you for the responses and apologies for hijacking the original thread. I'm seriously looking into the VT500, my concern is that as it's such a new product it might be a while before I get my hands on one. I'm not so keen to buy another ashdown, for reasons I wont go into details here. Anyone have any experience of the TC stuff or GK digital amps?
[/quote]

Personally I love the TC RH series as the basic has a very organic warmth and grittiness to it, essentially the same tone as the SVP preamp I used to own (and also similar to a sansamp BDDI). Given the controversy around it though I feel duty bound to recommend against a blind purchase i.e. try it out first. Going forward I might one day replace it with say a zoom B3 into my puma (or a self powered cab like the barefaced FR800) for more flexibility.

[quote name='jonno1981' timestamp='1438806754' post='2837639']
[/quote]

I have the TC RH750 and RS212 x 2 and am very happy with the sound. It is warm and perhaps not as clean (although my John East pre amp may play a part in that) as some. but it works for me.

• 1 month later...
Guest gazzatriumph

I have a TC RH750 with RS210 and a RS112 cabs, very nice sound, easy to transport about, plenty loud enough, even just using the RS210, not a plug in and play amp need to mess with the various settings to get the sound you want, built in tuner is very useful as are the three presets, so easy to change from pick to fingers or if you wanted to use different basses. I had an Ashdown ABM 575 and a ABM 610 rig before and as well as being easier to transport I prefer the sound and the volume seems louder too.