Why become a member? ×

Fanned frets

Old Newbie

I was looking at some Ibanez SRs in Guitar Village today. Two of the more expensive models had fanned frets. Can anyone explain to a curious newbie what the benefits are, if any? Is it just a matter of preference or is there more to it than that?

I like to try and understand these things, so I'd be grateful for any explanation. Thanks.

Yes indeed!

The best way to explain it is to think of a grand piano. The lower notes are produced by not only heavier gauge strings but of a longer scale length too. The benefits include a much stronger sounding fundamental tone to the bass note but also the ability to balance the string tension between each string too.

It's very easy to become accustomed to the Novax fan fret system too - it looks confusing but I am confident that it's easy to get used to for anyone. I have a Dingwall AB1 model; the fan fret system allows the B string to be a 37" scale length against a normal 34" for the G string. This translates to a great focussed sounding instrument - mine also has a maple neck and alder body. Harmonics just ring out of all strings, it's superb!

I like fanned frets, having played them on Dingwalls, mainly. They look like they might be challenging after a 'normal' fretboard, but the fact is it took me literally two or three minutes to get used to them. They are very easy to play, falling under the shape of your hands much more naturally than non-fanned.

Edited by discreet

All above is correct, but the Ibanez ones are still 34" so not exactly much of a difference to the extended range, I love Ibanez basses but I think on this occasion they didn't do their home work well on these basses which is probably why you already see them in the 2nd hand market having only been released a few months ago. I assume people are selling them to get a proper Dingwall or Le Fay which is another great example of fan fretted bass.

Cheers everyone - thanks for explaining in clear and straightforward terms. Am I to understand then, that even a small-handed person such as myself, would find them no more difficult to play than an ordinary 34" scale bass?

I should admit that they are well outside my budget at the moment - I was merely indulging in a 'future bass daydreaming' session. GV had the new Gibson ES Les Paul bass in stock as well - very tasty! Mind you, I'd have to sell my car first.... :unsure:

[quote name='Old Newbie' timestamp='1437717680' post='2828408']
Am I to understand then, that even a small-handed person such as myself, would find them no more difficult to play than an ordinary 34" scale bass?
[/quote]

No more difficult than playing any other bass or even an upright.

Small hands should make no difference. You just have to adjust your technique.

No one should be stretching their fingers to hit a note anyway. You should move your whole hand to position your fingers over the note you want to play.

I do find the fan fret Dingwalls slightly more awkward on a strap than a parallel fret instrument, but then I play with my bass fairly low. I'm finding octaves slightly challenging on the NG2 because of the strap length. The easy option is to raise the bass - but vain as I am thats not happening!

On my knee playing fan frets is a doddle.

With practice swapping between fan and parallel frets isn't a problem.

My biggest issue is the NG2 is my first serious jump to 5 strings - so to add the fan frets aswell makes it more of a culture shock.

I have adapted my style somewhat when using the NG2, and have moved some phrases to other positions (ie higher string with lower fret positions)

As longtimefred said to me "A B string to make people's poo fall out" makes up for it though!

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1437733884' post='2828575']
I do find the fan fret Dingwalls slightly more awkward on a strap than a parallel fret instrument, but then I play with my bass fairly low. I'm finding octaves slightly challenging on the NG2 because of the strap length. The easy option is to raise the bass - but vain as I am thats not happening!

On my knee playing fan frets is a doddle.

With practice swapping between fan and parallel frets isn't a problem.

My biggest issue is the NG2 is my first serious jump to 5 strings - so to add the fan frets aswell makes it more of a culture shock.

I have adapted my style somewhat when using the NG2, and have moved some phrases to other positions (ie higher string with lower fret positions)

As longtimefred said to me "A B string to make people's poo fall out" makes up for it though!
[/quote]

Having tried out FF guitars, as opposed to basses, they aren't suited to "low-slinging" either. With your fretting elbow extended it messes the hand angles up. The jump to an extra low string also confused the hell out of me on guitar (although I tune my 5 string bass with an extra high string)!

Would definitely be interested in giving a FF bass a go if there was one that sounded like a EBMM.

Fanned frets are nothing to be afraid of. Minutes will have you wondering why you never tried it sooner.

Ive tinkered through three dingwalls and loved them. Keep an eye out for the secondhand ones and give them a go, the B string is simply excellent. It looks pretty neat as well.

If you can get to a dealer that stocks them then you can give them a try - or find someone here who is local to you and see if you can try theirs.

I've got a 4 and 5 - I found the swap to 5 to be by far the biggest issue - its not beyond a bit of practice and familiarity though.

Love my Dingwall - but I would not recommend switching to 5 strings and fanned frets at once. Also, fanned frets are super easy on the first 12 frets - not so much up the dusty end, so if you go there frequently you may want to try before you buy.

Another advantage for me of Dingwalls are the banjo size frets.

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1438033650' post='2831143']
...but I would not recommend switching to 5 strings and fanned frets at once...

[/quote]

Erm...oops? :D Not quite true for me, but its still a bloody jump!

On another note, my ABZ sounds completely different to the NG2, which uses the Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp.