Why become a member? ×

Lakland Skyline

Stealth

So whats the deal i have lost the plot someone bought Lakland from Dan Lakin a while back the USA stuf still gets built in Chicago. Where do the build the Skyline stuff now ? Used to be Korea (and wasnt final assembly USA)
Any info welcome

The Skylines are very nice - had a Bob Glaub Precision for a while, great bass but unfortunately I`m so Fender-ingrained, any bass without Fender on the headstock just doesn`t seem right. Really should get over it.

I've an Indonesian Darryl Jones and previously had a Korean one. both were superb build quality (and I'm also a dyed-in-the-wool Fender man). The Indonesian one is slightly better quality wise although I preferred the pickups in the older one. Both are a fair way ahead of my US Fenders.

My 2013 DJ4 in LPB gets a lot of love. Really comfy neck, great string action. Strung with DR Fat Beams and combined with its DJ Retro preamp it does "that J-bass tone" effortlessly. Great bass even if the finish on the neck is quite thin in places. Some would call that mojo...

I like Laklands a lot. The biggest difference I've found in Skylines compared to the US versions is the neck - which is rather sublime in the American exemplars. The necks on Skylines are perfectly fine in any case. There may be plenty of other small quality improvements here and there, but the neck feel was the most obvious.

Owned both Korean and Indonesian Skylines (3 Korean and 2 Indonesian now I think about it!) and couldn't see any difference in the quality from one country of production to the other. My old ltd ed JO4 was my fav by quite some way (traded for an Indonesian 55-02dlx which was also nice). Lakland 5 strings have the best neck shape I've ever tried.

I've been GASing for a Korean Skyline Hollowbody for a while after playing one of the older Bartolini equipped ones.

Edited by Bigwan

I have only owned the Korean-made version, which was great. But from what I hear, quality didn't go rubbish when they moved production to Indonesia. They also went from Bartolini pickups to their own in that process, but again have not heard any complaints about that either from the bassists I know who own newer Laklands.

• 2 years later...

I've had a load of US Lakies: 55-94, Bob Glaub PJ, Joe Osborn 5, as well as a bunch of Skylines: 55-02, 55-02 fretless, Hollowbody and Decade. The only one left is my favourite of them all, the fretless 55-02. I also have an Indonesian HoBo on the way home...

I have a Skyline 55-01 (2016 - Indonesia) and a USA 44-94.
Considering the 55-01 cost me £749 new, it punches WAY above its weight!
Sure I've swapped out the pickups and preamp for USA Bartolini equivalents, but the originals were more than capable.

I've also had a Skyline 44-02D & DJ4 and both were excellent. I only sold the 44-02D as I didn't get on with maple fingerboards at the time (still don't), and the DJ4 only went to fund the USA 44-94, if I wanted another Jazz, I'd buy another of those!

I also had a brief flirt with a Skyline 44-64 Custom P/J, but that did have some minor finishing flaws, so it went back, very much an anomaly I believe, felt and sounded great though!

I can't ever see myself needing anything other the 55-01 in a 5string. I'd perhaps order a USA equivalent, but only if I genuinely had money to burn......which isn't looking likely in the foreseeable lol.

The USA is a cut above, but you'd expect that, it's a custom passive P/J 44-94, first of its kind I believe :)

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/hwh5c0.jpg[/IMG]

Si