Why become a member? ×

Wheelchair friendly Basses

Biglump

Just reading through and it seems any suggestions I thought of have been said. I've a Curbow,an Ibanez Mikro and the Harley Benton U-bass alike
on hand here so can provide any weights or measurements required.

Gotta say the mental image of a Lass in a wheelchair playing a big old P bass is pleasant one,brilliant example of spirit overcoming difficultly :)

Well done that lassie.

Many thanks for all the advice so far. She looks in on this thread and has been blown away by your positive 'do it' attitude and sends her thanks.
She's currently looking at a Thoman shorty P bass.
But come to think of it, I haven't laid hands on my fretless U bass for several weeks... Wonder if I'll ever see it again... :-)

[quote name='Biglump' timestamp='1438330683' post='2833548']
Many thanks for all the advice so far. She looks in on this thread and has been blown away by your positive 'do it' attitude and sends her thanks.
She's currently looking at a Thoman shorty P bass.
But come to think of it, I haven't laid hands on my fretless U bass for several weeks... Wonder if I'll ever see it again... :-)
[/quote]

Let us know how she gets on...

I haven't had a shorty P but i have had a couple of other Harley Benton basses recently and the quality for the price has amazed me. Those shorty P's are about £50 I seem to remember and I reckon you'd have to go quite a bit pricier than that to find any notable improvement in quality. It'll need a decent set of strings and possibly a bit of a setup tweak but I reckon it'll be a great bass to start on :)

I feel that it is almost impossible for somebody able bodied to sort this. The ideas that have been offered are great but, everyone is different. I use a wheelchair, but use a bar stool to lean against on stage. The point about taking the sides of the chair, yes you can do this with some wheelchairs, but this depends on the person using the wheelchair, if upper body strength is not good for example this wouldn't work as removing the sides might make them very unstable and not able to hold there body up. Unfortunately it's not, as it wouldn't be for anybody that straight forward.
The only way to address this problem would be to take the person with you on a bass hunt. Possibly somewhere like a PMT who would have a few basses of different shapes for them to try. Weight may or may not be a problem for them to play.
Good luck with the hunt.

• 7 months later...

Well folks, to bring you up to date on the 'Newbieshe'
1. No Wheelchair yet. (I can't be going discussing someone's private issues, other than saying things seem realatively stable at the moment).
2. TWO bases. To start with a B stock Fretless Uke bass. This got the fingers moving. Now added to by an Ibanez full length but really light.

One song played on full scale so far as solo accompniment to the local ukes practice night. And I'll bore you with how.
Uke orchestras are different and strange so having one loud bass and one muted bass tagging along is fine.
(Especially considering the ad libs and elastic beat lengths we get when a hard chord comes, a GSOH, as they say, is essential).

So, I managed to swap volumes, me down, she up for Bad Moon Rising without being spotted. It's one we just play really simply in C.
The face was a picture when she thought she was keeing up with me AND the beat AND the Ukes.
Anyway, after that, confidence is high, prior knowlege of being a drummer is being applied to bass playing and I think its going to go well.

I was wheelchair bound for a couple of months recently following an accident. I played at home and managed a couple of rehearsals in the chair by removing the sides. I assume that all chairs have removable sides/arm rests to make getting in and out of them easier. I used a standard P bass, though would have fond it easier with a shorter scale had I had one.

I know a bass player bound to a wheelchair from years ago and I've seen him playing Warwicks, Fenders and mostly everything he could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtryAoNlM5Y

As you can see in the video the sides have been taken off the chair.

Was going to suggest a cheap gibson eb2 copy - very light, medium to short scale and has a huge cool factor if you liked the Peddlers.
:D

QUOTE: [color=#252525][font=sans-serif]Martin, the [/font][/color][url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassist"]bassist[/url][color=#252525][font=sans-serif], noted for his peculiar style of playing a [/font][/color][url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_EB-2"]Gibson EB-2[/url][color=#252525][font=sans-serif] bass guitar in an upright position as though it were a [/font][/color][url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bass"]string bass[/url][color=#252525][font=sans-serif].[/font][/color]

Edited by ivansc

• 4 months later...

Well, she still won't come on BC.
Can't think of a suitable name, she says.
But she did get up and play 34 scale bass on a proper outdoor stage, up steps, all made of scafolding and tarpaulins, with a sound tent [i]wayyyy[/i] behind the audience, [i]and[/i] seperate off stage speaker stacks.
At a rugby ground.
They were very small speaker stacks, in special speaker tents.
But seperate off stage speaker tents they were.
They opened our local Ukulele festial.
First act of the festival in the lunchtime graveyard slot, so nothing earth shattering.
But I'm pleased.
Thought maybe you folks would be too.

[quote name='Biglump' timestamp='1470307452' post='3104908']
Well, she still won't come on BC.
Can't think of a suitable name, she says.
But she did get up and play 34 scale bass on a proper outdoor stage, up steps, all made of scafolding and tarpaulins, with a sound tent [i]wayyyy[/i] behind the audience, [i]and[/i] seperate off stage speaker stacks.
At a rugby ground.
They were very small speaker stacks, in special speaker tents.
But seperate off stage speaker tents they were.
They opened our local Ukulele festial.
First act of the festival in the lunchtime graveyard slot, so nothing earth shattering.
But I'm pleased.
Thought maybe you folks would be too.
[/quote]

Fantastic to hear for any new player.

Glad to hear she's doing well....

Where your friend has gone from wheelchair to bass, I have recently gone from bass to wheel chair!

I'm not full time in it, I use crutches mostly but for longer periods of time and anything further than "the car to a chair" , I'm beginning to make the change.
It's been a tough decision but one I hope will allow me to get out more with the kids and not be desperate to find a seat or just go home. For the first time in a long time I can go out for the whole day and enjoy it!

No issues with bass as my chair has no sides, but that's not the problem.
You could not begin to imagine just how uninviting or unthought out some places/events/gigs/pubs etc are for Wheelchair users.... Honestly, it's shocking.
I fortunately CAN get up out of it and use my sticks if I have to but for those who can't, it's rough.

The day I have to be lifted onto a stage I'll pack it all in, shame as my hands work just fine.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a whinge about the injustice etc, just pointing out that a bass suitable for a chair is the least of her problems.... Just think about your last few gigs and imagine it......sure, learn to play, play for fun or the love of the music, take it as far as you are able and enjoy... But i know without the support of good mates and some serious consideration or forward planning, its difficult to say the least.

I dont mean to sound negative or in anyway saying its impossible, no far from it, i applaud the effort and commend your support, but just pointing out we all take an awfull lot for granted and the daily obstacles im coming across are an eyeopener...

Good on her for getting out there, it's admirable..... Maybe I'll get used to it over time but right now .....

Edited by Wonky2

Interesting to see this thread resurface after seeing the recent advert for the paralympics.
Can't help wondering what the chap playing guitar with his feet would think about tone being all in the fingers though :D

Always nice when these old threads come back up with a positive outcome though. Good stuff!

Also, Ashbory. Hang it round your neck with the fingerboard more or less vertical, as though it was a cello. Gets rid of the balance issues, and it's short enough to play well while sitting. Also you can put the headstock tip behind your ear and practice without an amp :)