Why become a member? ×

Playing Dives

blue

[size=3][font="Arial"]Playing bass guitar for me is not some flippant thing I do when the mood strikes me or when the occasional gig comes up, this is what I do for a living. It's been the most significant part of my life since 1966. It's all I think about really[/font][/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3][font="Arial"]Occasionally the displeasure of playing some of the less desirable bars and pubs known as dives come up.[/font][/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3][font="Arial"]It might be different in the States, but my band has a few of theses dives in rotation. [/font][font="Arial"]I am no longer going to these dives with a sad face. First of all they pay us the same $400.00- $500.00 we charge some of the nicer places. My whole point her is taking a more professional attitude instead of whining and complaining. It's work and your getting paid.[/font][/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3][font="Arial"]I am sure I am not the only guy here that has seen some famous heavy weights end up doing small bar gigs. It happens. What I noticed is, these guys are pros and still give off that vibe. And when you catch that vibe, guess what, that dive club all of sudden feels like the cool place to be.[/font][/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3][font="Arial"]I say go into that dive gig with your band mates with a good attitude and have fun. Your still "On Stage Talent" even if there ain't no stage.[/font][/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3][font="Arial"]Act like a Pro![/font][/size]
[size=3] [/size]
[size=3][font="Arial"]Blue[/font][/size]

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1437771252' post='2829023']
My definition of a 'dive bar' is when you think you may end up in a fight, by the end of the night, with one (or all) of the clientele.
[/quote]

Here's a tip;

Don't make eye contact with anyone.

Especially if 90% of the crowd looks like they were recently released from jail.

Blue

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1437771147' post='2829021']
hear hear, ok its harder work if the audience isn't behind you, but man it pays off in the long run.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's a hard nut to crack.

I'd post a thread on it, but I don't have any decent ideas on engaging the uninterested and the non responsive.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1437770279' post='2829010']
[size=3][font=Arial]Playing bass guitar for me...[/font][/size]
[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment expressed here, to the extent that I recognise the 'good attitude and have fun', and have applied this same notion throughout the various aspects of my career(s...). Yes, I was a 'pro' drummer for a while, but also electronic technician, software programmer, avionics engineer, cost accountant and IT manager. I've never, in that sense, ever 'gone to work'; the whole experience has been thoroughly enjoyable in all the roles, as I was, in every case, doing what I liked to do (OK, there have been odd moments little less 'fun', but greatly positive on the whole...).
Why do I say all this..? Simply to indicate that, for those doing the work they've chosen, and doing it with a positive and 'fun' attitude, it's exactly the same for an office worker or 'grease monkey', shop assistant or councillor, musician or salesmen. It's not anything 'magic' about playing in bands (as Blue says so rightly: it's work, to him...); it's the doing whatever you really wish, and doing it to one's best, that counts. Keep it up, Blue; more power to your elbow. There are many that get that same satisfaction from their various occupations (plus, of course, their hobbies and pastimes...). Just sayin'.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1437774408' post='2829055']
I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment expressed here, to the extent that I recognise the 'good attitude and have fun', and have applied this same notion throughout the various aspects of my career(s...). Yes, I was a 'pro' drummer for a while, but also electronic technician, software programmer, avionics engineer, cost accountant and IT manager. I've never, in that sense, ever 'gone to work'; the whole experience has been thoroughly enjoyable in all the roles, as I was, in every case, doing what I liked to do (OK, there have been odd moments little less 'fun', but greatly positive on the whole...).
Why do I say all this..? Simply to indicate that, for those doing the work they've chosen, and doing it with a positive and 'fun' attitude, it's exactly the same for an office worker or 'grease monkey', shop assistant or councillor, musician or salesmen. It's not anything 'magic' about playing in bands (as Blue says so rightly: it's work, to him...); it's the doing whatever you really wish, and doing it to one's best, that counts. Keep it up, Blue; more power to your elbow. There are many that get that same satisfaction from their various occupations (plus, of course, their hobbies and pastimes...). Just sayin'.
[/quote]

Well, I was a Worker Compensation Administrator for 30 years. Hated everyday of it.

Matter of fact I don't know one person working for someone else in straight 9-5 gig that doesn't dread getting up in the morning.

Dad, you have the right to your opinion, no problem. I think where we differ is for me, and since 1966 there has always been something magical about playing in a rock band.

Just sayin

Blue

Edited by blue

We play dives the same as any other gig. You sometimes have to be bit careful with the banter and who you make eye contact with. Often the people in these dives enjoy themselves a lot more than in smarter venues. You do have to watch out for the ones that have been in there drinking all day though

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1437775082' post='2829063'] Matter of fact I don't know one person working for someone else in straight 9-5 gig that doesn't dread getting up in the morning [/quote]

I love gigging, but then I like my work too and very rarely dread getting up in the morning. I preferred it when I worked at home, so I didn't have to get dressed until later, but I still enjoy work, and apart from a job I did for a year and a half, always have.

+1 to what you say, Blue. Even if the place is a real sh!t hole, they are paying you to give a professional service. If you begrudge playing a venue then you surely won't enjoy it, but if you give it 100% then you may well end up having a great time.

When I think about it, the one thing that puts me off certain venues is a difficult load in/out. Some of the 'edgier' venues can still be fun because they have a bit of a buzz about them.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1437777161' post='2829075']
Depends on the definition of dives, but if they are my definition, it's a no...
I'm not desperate to play them so I don't.
[/quote]

Were not desperate either, here in the states if your a regional bar band you either play them or you don't play at all. It's part of the business. It might be different in England.

Blue

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1437777246' post='2829077']
+1 to what you say, Blue. Even if the place is a real sh!t hole, they are paying you to give a professional service. If you begrudge playing a venue then you surely won't enjoy it, but if you give it 100% then you may well end up having a great time.

When I think about it, the one thing that puts me off certain venues is a difficult load in/out. Some of the 'edgier' venues can still be fun because they have a bit of a buzz about them.
[/quote]

Load in and load outs tend to be a pain in the arse in some of these places. One in particular is a real pain, however the owner is really cool, pays in advance and books us for 3 dates at a time.

Hey, I'm no rich guy. If I play 2-3 dives in a weekend I could have anywhere from $350.00 to $450.00 in my wallet if tips and merch goes well.

It's a hustle and I love it. For you guys that don't, I say, "why bother at all"

Blue

I`d prefer to not play places where it looks like it might kick off, but if we turn up and that`s the atmosphere, well just get on with it. Because we play fast aggressive music anyway, usually those types of crowd are easy to win over as we`re in-keeping with their mood. But I agree with all, play to those crowds/venues like you would to your biggest fans/biggest/best audiences. There could be one person in that crowd who has travelled a fair way to see you, they deserve you at your best.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1437787219' post='2829114']

Load in and load outs tend to be a pain in the arse in some of these places. One in particular is a real pain, however the owner is really cool, pays in advance and books us for 3 dates at a time.

Hey, I'm no rich guy. If I play 2-3 dives in a weekend I could have anywhere from $350.00 to $450.00 in my wallet if tips and merch goes well.

It's a hustle and I love it. For you guys that don't, I say, "why bother at all"

Blue
[/quote]

You've been on here too long Blue, you are starting to spell correctly! Arse, not ass. That and the Union Jack t shirt, you'll be drinking tea and moaning about the weather in no time.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1437808688' post='2829153']
You've been on here too long Blue, you are starting to spell correctly! Arse, not ass. That and the Union Jack t shirt, you'll be drinking tea and moaning about the weather in no time.
[/quote]

nailed it there :) Welcome Brother Blue to the clan of honorary Brits !!

In the last 30 odd years I've played in some pretty rough places but the band has never had any trouble. It's not always the "dives" where trouble kicks off - they tend to have the local "heavies" that step in to control anybody that gets out of order. The worst incident I've ever seen was actually at a fairly posh wedding - an altercation between the groom's father and his other son that involved police, ambulances and us not getting paid until 6 weeks later!

I don't want to play places that I wouldn't ever set foot in. And if wouldn't go there, I can't expect friends or followers to
do so either...especially wives or girlfriends.
Yes, I'll be very picky..if we travel over 30 mins or so, there will be a fuel surcharge. If I go to London, it is £150 minimum and that will be
very very cheap so that will likely be a loss leader type gig.. in that it is a carrot for other gigs. London is really £1500 territory for all the
crap involved.

The downside to all this is that there are some pubs that are a delight to play for your 5x£50... but the people you want to use aren't going to hold those dates, tbh....so they become a last minute pick-up...which can be fun but you can't really build on that sort of band tbh.

Good gigs is my driver... money gigs may be others.
If you are starting then £250 is your pub gig fee..unless the pub gets your 'premium'..and it is all about pints anyway, no matter what you think you're worth.
£350 is better but you need to do things better and some pubs wouldn't pay it... In that case £250 plus bonus would be a decent position for the pub.

I was bought up on a council estate oop north! Not every musician is middle class. These 'dives' to me are normal pubs. Filled with bloody poor people! Oh the indignity. Just because these pubs are shitholes doesn't mean everyone wants to kick your head in. I've played venues from 'dives' to venues the that hold a few thousand. I've found 'dives' to be some of the best gigs in terms of people enjoying themselves.

Some of the best gigs we have had, have been in less desirable places. For some reason, loud fighty, leery crowds know how to enjoy themselves more. One place we played used to have a fight every night. We actually had it in our set that whenever a fight broke out, we would stop playing and launch into eye of the tiger. It was great craic.

The fat girl a-winding and a-grinding to every song we play. The gorgeous girl who was drunk when she came into the place, who has drunk a bottle of wine and a couple of pints since and is now making eyes at any band member she can focus on. The third drunken punter to take a pedal dive in front of the guitarist.

I wouldn't miss it for the world :)