Why become a member? ×

Playing Dives

blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437770541' post='2829013']
Absolutely agree. And if you're playing to six people or six hundred or six thousand, whether they're behaving themselves or not, you should be professional regardless.
[/quote]

Absolutely right. surely it's a non-discussion? Even if, like me, you're not a pro and are doing it for fun - I'd be embarrassed not to play my best.

Having a discussion in one of my bands where the debate is between banging a few tunes out, just having fun and if it's a bit amateur it's fine versus my view of learn material before practise, get it right in rehearsal, gig it when it's good.

Yet t play any real dives though and we've had mostly small but engaged audiences.

Dives are fine. Fights are not.

I've seen fewer fights in "dives" than clubs with an entrance charge.

In the early days I was given some good advice, "No matter what happens, never look anyone in the eye and never stop playing."

There used to be a fantastic place called TJ's in Newport - a dive by any definition of the word, but what a great place to play or see a band - tiny, sweaty, the audience cruising somewhere in between starting a fight, drinking and drugging themselves insensible or having the best party of the year, and open to persuasion as to which way to take it... Dives are the true heart of the music world. My only worry is that economics, 'health and safety' and the lure of the box-set will kill them all off before my kids are old enough for me to embark on a happily disreputable old age playing in such places.

Edited by JoeEvans

We don't have any dives in this neck of the woods, it's the sticks don't you know :D

15-20 years ago there used to be about 2 or 3 thriving music venues around my way, I suppose they might be what some would call dives. Great bands, great nights out. If they were still up and running every band in the area would still play there. Unfortunately despite their popularity they lost shed loads of money.

If it's grotty I'd still play there. However, if it's a place known for violence, constant bust ups and fights I'd not be keen

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1437808688' post='2829153']
You've been on here too long Blue, you are starting to spell correctly! Arse, not ass. That and the Union Jack t shirt, you'll be drinking tea and moaning about the weather in no time.
[/quote]

I know, and I'm destined for a visit to England.

Blue

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1437810169' post='2829160']
In the last 30 odd years I've played in some pretty rough places but the band has never had any trouble. It's not always the "dives" where trouble kicks off - they tend to have the local "heavies" that step in to control anybody that gets out of order. The worst incident I've ever seen was actually at a fairly posh wedding - an altercation between the groom's father and his other son that involved police, ambulances and us not getting paid until 6 weeks later!
[/quote]

You know your right, now that I think about it. The one place we play I'm thinking about handle all the incidents internally. I think the owners feel getting the Police involved can make things worse.

Blue

Edited by blue

After 11 years of living in rural France, I've left that behind as it's not something I come across these days despite playing lots of gigs but back in England, we used to do a regular gig in Chelmsford in an estate pub called the Red Beret. A tough place.

First time, I was bricking it. Everyone looked like they'd just killed their parents however, they seemed to adopt us and the drinking and odd bust up never really got too out of hand. Probably helped that we had a real tough nut as a vocalist. Sort of miss the place really. Re the OP, yes, always a pro attitude.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1437924338' post='2830028']
Don't ask a pro to play those gigs.. :lol: see what answer you'll get..!!
[/quote]

I'd put forward the opposite point of view. As an amateur now, I can choose where and when to play, and choose only dates that we think will be good fun for us, and we'll be appreciated. As a past 'pro' drummer, I had little say in the choice of venue from my main bands, and played wherever the band leader took the gig. When depping, I could, indeed, choose not to take the date, but, almost by definition, if I refused too often, I'd not get called for the good'uns, and so would sometimes take a less-than-perfect date so as to stay on the books. That's part and parcel of being a 'pro', at least at the lower end of the food chain. Top-flight monsters may have more ability to pick and choose, of course.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1437940902' post='2830261']
I think you'd be surprised. Most pros I know would take any gig that pays.
[/quote]

Depends on 'pro' and pro but get what you mean. Regular jobbing full time guys are scratching around but even so
you'd still expect quite a few questions before they get involved.

If the band is good, you stand a chance of getting them in... but s*** money and a S*** gig is
really scraping the barrel. You don't give these numbers out to everybody...for any gig.
There has to be a bottom line and there are easier ways of making money.
The function circuit for one...which is dep street these days.

There's a venue in Uxbridge called the crown& treaty. The last band I was in , were pushing for us to play there. A couple of the members used to follow a band of pros., who played there for beer money .
Me,Mr.drums &Mr.Guitar went one Friday to see this band.( cannot remember band name).
Anyhow, as soon as I went to buy a drink , 2 boilers from the Jeremy Kyle show started swearing and shouting at me telling me I stole their drink.
I was polite , the barman helped me convince them it wasn't me and one of the boilers. calmed down. It was their way of saying 'it's my pub, who the f@@k are you!'

I wonder what it would be like if I was playing, and I played a les Dawson passing note.

I had a shouty match with one bint once who was annoyed that we hadn't stopped playing as her sister and another of life's winners were scrapping in the middle of the dance floor. To be honest I hadn't seen them but I raged that we were the band not the bouncers. Later, I realised that it was such a common occurrence, that it was quite usual to just keep playing.

Nice place! :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1437924338' post='2830028']
Don't ask a pro to play those gigs.. :lol: see what answer you'll get..!!
[/quote]

Over here it would be yes.

Must be different in England, we have some of the best musicians in town that still end up playing dives. Guitar hero Greg Koch is one of them.

Again, there are pros that had hit records in the 70s playing dives over here. They may not be as popular as they once were, but they are still Pros.

Blue

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1437940902' post='2830261']
I think you'd be surprised. Most pros I know would take any gig that pays.
[/quote]

Agreed, same thing over here. This business is tough at all levels you would be surprised how many Pros end up playing dives and even famous bands playing at significant discounts.

And it's not always economics, some Pros have a personal connection with dives and like playing them.

Blue

Edited by blue

We had a corporate gig last weekend and we have another coming up this weekend with really good pay ( 2K for 2 hours ). Unfortunately the folks that show up at these events are there because they feel obligated and for the food.

Yeah, dives can be rough but also a lot of fun. You will never hear the " I'm to good to Play dives " line from me. Just doesn't make sense.

Blue

I put up a thread about 'top tips' for first time recording sessions a while ago, as a guy I know in the village has a son who plays in an originals band, and they were spending a weekend in a studio doing an EP CD. The band in question - all aged just about 18, have got a gig in town on Friday night.

This is the Tripadvisor page for the venue : http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186377-d6403991-Reviews-Theatre_Bar-Stafford_Staffordshire_England.html

I'm thinking this might turn out to be what we may call 'a learning experience'! Let's hope they know a few covers too.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438035471' post='2831162']

Yeah, dives can be rough but also a lot of fun. You will never hear the " I'm to good to Play dives " line from me. Just doesn't make sense.

[/quote]

Completely agree, some of the most fun gigs I've ever done have been in the back end of nowhere. Hell I am from the back end of nowhere who am I to say I'm too good to play My local hehe.
I've seen bands play 'dives' that just get on with it and have a laugh and I've seen bands play that think they are too good to be there, the later never goes down well and I very rarely see any problems happen for bands that treat these places like normal gigs.

I love playing smaller venues, but I don't think I've ever actually been scared of the audience at a gig. Maybe that's because I'm always with a band and we'll back each other up? I've played some places that I'd be very intimidated by if I walked in for a pint, but didn't bother me when gigging. Weird

I look at it this way.[list=1]
[*]I'm not doing this for a living, just for enjoyment. So I can afford to be picky about where I play.
[*]I do not want to play dives, toilets, drug-dens or sh*t-holes.
[*]So I don't. :)
[/list]

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1438096751' post='2831605']
[*]I'm not doing this for a living, just for enjoyment. So I can afford to be picky about where I play.
[/list]
[/quote]

This!!!!

I think I've got to the stage where I go quality rather than quantity of gigs. I don't care if the place is a palace or a dive, if it has a good vibe I'm happy to play it. If it's on the rough side then the Limelight J gets used though, I don't think a few more dents would harm its appearance. If I was doing this for the money then I'm sure my attitude would be different though....

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1438096751' post='2831605']

[/list]
[/quote]

Fair enough, your really not in the game. You play when and wherever it fancies you. :)

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1438099658' post='2831648']
I think I've got to the stage where I go quality rather than quantity of gigs. I don't care if the place is a palace or a dive, if it has a good vibe I'm happy to play it. If it's on the rough side then the Limelight J gets used though, I don't think a few more dents would harm its appearance. If I was doing this for the money then I'm sure my attitude would be different though....
[/quote]

We play fairs, festivals , bars and clubs of all shapes and sizes.

Another thing thing for guys like me that do this for a living. There are bands out there playing high profile gigs with pro lights and sound that are getting paid less then you would at the corner bar.

Blue