Why become a member? ×

Playing Dives

blue

[quote name='RichyJ' timestamp='1438071551' post='2831277']
Completely agree, some of the most fun gigs I've ever done have been in the back end of nowhere. Hell I am from the back end of nowhere who am I to say I'm too good to play My local hehe.
I've seen bands play 'dives' that just get on with it and have a laugh and I've seen bands play that think they are too good to be there, the later never goes down well and I very rarely see any problems happen for bands that treat these places like normal gigs.
[/quote]

Yes, you have to separate yourself from your exterior surroundings. your there with your band, you have 3 sets of material ready to go be a pro play and get into it. So what if you have to play on the wrong side of the tracks a few times. Your getting paid and there are guys out there that want to gig but cant get a gig anywhere.

"Real musicians play dives"

Blue

I play dives :unsure:

One regular gig of ours changes landlords every six months or less. The punters get worse and worse. A while ago, a drunk coked-up tosser started poking his fingers in the keyboard player's face. Our driver (big, but about 70) warns him off. Punter goes to glass him. Sax player steps out and nuts the drunk, who goes down like a sack of spuds. Locals drag him out by the heels and gaily throw him on a garden table.

Another night, when thank goodness a different band was playing, there was a traveller fight, and it ended with every window being done, from the outside, with cobblestones.

I loathe this kind of stuff, but you're generally ok in the band. It's more often a sh*t sound that pisses me off :lol:

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1438127773' post='2831982']
I play dives :unsure:

One regular gig of ours changes landlords every six months or less. The punters get worse and worse. A while ago, a drunk coked-up tosser started poking his fingers in the keyboard player's face. Our driver (big, but about 70) warns him off. Punter goes to glass him. Sax player steps out and nuts the drunk, who goes down like a sack of spuds. Locals drag him out by the heels and gaily throw him on a garden table.

Another night, when thank goodness a different band was playing, there was a traveller fight, and it ended with every window being done, from the outside, with cobblestones.

I loathe this kind of stuff, but you're generally ok in the band. It's more often a sh*t sound that pisses me off :lol:
[/quote]

Can't say I've experienced anything like that. When playing a dive;

1. I'm an independent contractor, hired help and I act like it.I'm not a punter.
2. I don't make eye contact with anyone except band members
3. I don't go up to the bar, I make an arrangement for the barmaid to bring my club soda w/ lime twist to me
3. Stay focused and burn through the sets, sometimes it ends up being a fun night.

I'm just saying, for me, after 50 years, gigging rock & roll is still magical. I never grew tired of doing this. It's just as much fun if not more at 61 as it was when I was 12 years old. Not many of you can say that,mainly because you have other interests. I don't!

You might wonder about the pics I post. They are 2 different gigs I play.
I am just as comfortable walking out on the festival stage pictured on the left as the floor in the bar pictured on the right.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1438071305' post='2831275']
I put up a thread about 'top tips' for first time recording sessions a while ago, as a guy I know in the village has a son who plays in an originals band, and they were spending a weekend in a studio doing an EP CD. The band in question - all aged just about 18, have got a gig in town on Friday night.

This is the Tripadvisor page for the venue : [url="http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186377-d6403991-Reviews-Theatre_Bar-Stafford_Staffordshire_England.html"]http://www.tripadvis...re_England.html[/url]

I'm thinking this might turn out to be what we may call 'a learning experience'! Let's hope they know a few covers too.
[/quote]

Ha ha, brilliant. As you suggest, he would have paid his dues after having played there. Wish him luck from me.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438121391' post='2831943']
We play fairs, festivals , bars and clubs of all shapes and sizes.

Another thing thing for guys like me that do this for a living. There are bands out there playing high profile gigs with pro lights and sound that are getting paid less then you would at the corner bar.

Blue
[/quote]

Well, that is just dumb then... or they aren't very good.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1438170132' post='2832204']

Ha ha, brilliant. As you suggest, he would have paid his dues after having played there. Wish him luck from me.
[/quote]

I think they'll need it. I was in town a few weeks ago, walking back to the car after a night out with Mrs A, and a couple were having a real humdinger of a shouting match outside, at about 120db, with plenty of salty language, of the kind that would make a sailor blush : and that was just from the woman. She was about 50, what one might call 'battle scarred', with plenty of miles on the clock, and a nice taste in mini skirts . The bloke was the classic beer bellied, 50 plus skinhead in a polo shirt, with a 'triple ripple' of fat at the back of his neck and Union Jack tats - and holding a pint in one hand and a fag in the other, throughout the 'discussion'.

That said, they'll probably defy the prejudices and be up dancing from the start, good as gold!

Edited by The Admiral

I'd actually say good musicians don't play dives... as they don't need to but I can see that might be a tad contentious.. but then generalisations are all a bit crap as well.

Do I play less that salubrious pubs and venues.. I'm sure I do but I also think if it is worth doing it is worth doing properly.
I'm not doing a gig for gigs sake...that is for sure. Others might not think that way.

Another pet hate... Beer festivals that don't supply P.A and lights and crew for multiple bills and also think they can get away with
pub rates :lol: :lol:

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1438196889' post='2832504']
Au contraire. Real musicians play [i]music[/i]. You don't have to play in a shithole to qualify as 'real'.
[/quote]

Come to Milwaukee, I can show you some cool sh*t holes and some not so cool sh*t holes.

Over here at the bar level, if the LL can pay your fee, you play. For those that don't need the money, stay at home and play with the kids. I'll take the money.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1438197261' post='2832509']
I'd actually say good musicians don't play dives... as they don't need to but I can see that might be a tad contentious.. but then generalisations are all a bit crap as well.

Do I play less that salubrious pubs and venues.. I'm sure I do but I also think if it is worth doing it is worth doing properly.
I'm not doing a gig for gigs sake...that is for sure. Others might not think that way.

Another pet hate... Beer festivals that don't supply P.A and lights and crew for multiple bills and also think they can get away with
pub rates :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Greg is a great guitarist and he plays dives here in Milwaukee, I've done some double bills with him. I think what you mean is the good musicians you know don't play dives. You don't speak for all good or great Musicians.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSDfERKBst8"]https://www.youtube....h?v=WSDfERKBst8[/url]

Guess we have a different attitude. See you at Wembly, LOL

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1438210598' post='2832655']
In the same way that [i]you[/i] don't speak for all 'real' Musicians.
[/quote]

No, however, I say, I do speak for all Yankee musicians that do this for a living at the bar band level.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1438210598' post='2832655']
In the same way that [i]you[/i] don't speak for all 'real' Musicians.
[/quote]

The Greg Koch YouTube clip proves my point that some class "A" musicians play dives.

Keep in mind we have not defined "dive". that will be a different discussion.

Blue.

I'm not sure I've ever played a real dive, just normal pubs and clubs, and have never declined a gig because I think the venue might be too rough.

Around twenty years of gigging, and the only fight (more of a scuffle) I've ever witnessed at a gig was in the dressing room between the drummer and the vocalist!

I was a bit concerned about playing at a bikers' club in Grimsby once, but it turned out to be great fun and we were well looked after (despite what appeared to be a blood splatter stain on the ceiling directly above the stage) 😀

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438282475' post='2833269']
While playing and you realize your standing in an inch of piss, your playing a dive.

Blue
[/quote]

Not had it on stage, but there used to be a venue near me (where I played a few times) where it was a regular thing for the audience to be standing in an inch of piss....

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1438358524' post='2833929']
Not had it on stage, but there used to be a venue near me (where I played a few times) where it was a regular thing for the audience to be standing in an inch of piss....
[/quote]

Sounds like my kind of place. :D

Blue

While playing and you realize your standing in an inch of piss, your playing a dive.
[/quote]

never had that, but it there are few places you have to keep moving just to make sure you don't stick to the carpet!

Blue
[/quote]
Priceless, thank you for that genuine laugh out loud moment. Never had a gig like that, though I can remember being in Maine Rd Manchester and watching rivers of piss cascade down the terracing.

Great thread. For some reason 'that' scene from the Blues Brothers springs to mind.

Blue
[/quote]

Difference is, in Scotland you're standing in an inch of pish!

Usually that's just the bogs right enough ( rest rooms Blue) ;)